Jambands.ca

NDP i think so

show---whore

Instead of votting a party out im going to try to vote one in this year.

Here's a few key points that i like in the NDP platform

Layton

Keep Canada out of the National Missile Defence program.

Bring in an inheritance tax on estates worth more than $1 million, excluding family farms and small businesses. Roll back a recent Liberal corporate tax cut worth $2 billion, increasing taxes on banks and corporations. Collect $8.5 billion in currently uncollectable tax revenue. Close tax loopholes for large businesses and impose a 20-per-cent excess profits levy when financial institutions report rates of return above 10 per cent. Make fines levied against businesses non-tax-deductible. Take GST off family "essentials" such as children' clothes, books and medicine. Increase the amount of the child tax benefit. Eliminate federal income tax for people earning under $15,000 a year. Raise taxes for people earning more than $250,000. Give cities five centres a litre from the gas tax Ottawa collects.

Give cities five cents from the federal tax on every litre of gas sold. Bring in a national public transit strategy to help municipalities upgrade public transit, a new tax benefit for employers who provide transit passes to their employees, and grants to municipal transit authorities for the purpose of lowering transit fares. Implement a National Housing Strategy that would devote at least 1% of the federal program budget to building non-profit, affordable housing, and provide low-interest loans to provincial governments, municipal housing authorities and co-op housing organizations.

Make job creation the top national priority, creating "green" jobs through a National Environmental Infrastructure Program, leading the federal government back into the field of job training and retraining, and increasing EI benefits substantially while extending the benefits period to 50 weeks. Introduce strategies to give women better wages and greater workplace flexibility. Bring in two new national holidays a year, one in February and one in either June or August.

Safeguard civil liberties so that Canadians from ethnic communities are not targeted unfairly by the Anti-terrorism bill, and all Canadians can feel free to express legitimate dissent.

Fully decriminalize marijuana while introducing a non-punitive education program to reduce adult marijuana use. Restrict personal use and production of the drug through regulations, not the Criminal Code.

Safeguard the free flow of diverse opinion across Canada by fighting the concentration of media ownership, giving tax incentives to independent groups who operate community media agencies, ensuring the operating budget of the CBC doesn't go below $1 billion, and protecting culture in trade deals.

Support same-sex marriage. Ensure gay or lesbian people are accorded equal treatment and protection under a variety of Canadian laws.

Build 10,000 wind turbines in Canada at a cost of $10 billion,, introducing an emission credit system that would have polluters pay for the development of wind energy. Leverage the government's Petro-Canada stake to create a new Crown corporation for renewable energy that would encourage the use of alternative energy sources such as solar, wind, tidal and geothermal power, as well as ethanol and bio-diesel fuels. Change existing tax laws and tax credits that artificially lower the true costs of fossil fuels and nuclear energy, instead offering tax incentives for those who invest in renewable energy systems and research. Bring in mandatory fuel efficiency for all vehicles in a partnership with progressive and powerful American states.

Make polluters pay for the cost of cleaning up toxic sites. Replace legislative focus on voluntary pollution prevention with mandatory anti-pollution standards. Create "green" jobs through a National Environmental Infrastructure Program that would fix municipal water and sewage systems and prevent them from polluting their environments. Establish national standards for drinking water and ban bulk water exports. Encourage environmentally friendly farming and fishing practices.

In all trade negotiations, ensure that citizens' interests are placed above corporate interests. Make all international agreements subject to ratification by the House of Commons.

Launch a national Family Farm Support program to give immediate assistance to farmers in need while reviewing existing income support and disaster relief programs. Reduce support for agriculture only in co-ordination with Canada's trading partners. Investigate the role of genetic modification in crop and food production.

Abolish the Senate.

Agreed with 'tube...Just adding one more vote to the Libs isn't going to make a difference, basically throwing away your vote (unless of course you like Martin's agenda). Vote for who you want to see in there...it shows support for your guy, and your vote DOES count, and hey, you never know what could happen. Check out the latest referendum in Gatineau. It was won by something like 8 votes...

BTW...I am voting NDP, why?, public transit ;)

in Hamilton (at least on the mountain) a vote for the NDP is the strongest vote against Harper, its neck and neck NDP vs. Conservative which is why I'm voting that direction... ideally I'd vote Green but I'm voting NDP as a stopper (the NDP and Green platforms are actually quite similar this time around)

I disagree with your stance Tube, last time people did the Lib/NDP/Fringe split was when we got a second term of Mulroney which sealed the deal on Free Trade which screws Canada and small business everywhere royally to this day (and kisses corporate butt)... I have friends in the military I don't want to see kept in Afghanistan or sent to the middle east, am firmly against revoking legalised abortion and am absolutely disgusted by what happens to lower income Canadians under Conservative leadership... I don't want ghettos to grow and increased crimes of desperation in Canada along with corparate kickbacks and chopped up social programs (the Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital is still putting people who really need help out on the streets from previous Conservative legislation)

I like NDP better than Liberal at this junction but if you're in a riding that has much stronger support for the Liberals than for NDP this year why give up that riding to the Conservatives? while the Liberals have been acting somewhat cautiously and have focused on balancing the books more than anything else thus far they're still 100 times better than the new Conservatives when it comes to keeping Canada Canadian... picturing Harper in power honestly makes me consider getting out of the country as I don't think I could take it

as an aside I am happy to see that it looks like the Greens will win some seats out this year... hopefully a sign of things to come

Could be wrong, but wasn't Cretien voted in as an anti-free trade vote and he still went through with it (admittedly I think it was in the late stages) I could be mixing up the FTA and NAFTA... someone fill me in...

ps. I have to say I'm quite impressed with the level of understanding and the general compassion in the jamband scene when it comes to politics. One of the things (other then music) that really brought me to the Dead was the fact that it was a vehicle for social change where people actually cared. Bravo!

naw, Free Trade was long passed... maybe you're thinking of the Free Trade of The Americas Act that we all went and protested in Quebec City while Cretien was in power... not much seems to have come of that one

No. There was definately a Liberal broken promise regarding the FTA or NAFTA. It may have been a promise to pull the plug, but I think it was to not get into it. Bouche should be able to help.

Maybe it was signed but not ratified or something? And the Libs said they wouldn't ratify but did...