Jambands.ca

Three albums everyone should be issued at birth

secondtube

I haven't heard all of Dylan's albums yet ( from beginning to end ), but Blood On The Tracks is my favourite. " Idiot Wind " is an underrated gem.

Then you really have to get a copy of this off me.I rated this version above the released version,its great,although BOTT is also my favourite Dylan album.

b-28f.JPG

source: Original test pressing

Review:

Blood on the Tracks - New York Sessions

The Idiot Wind is amazing and considerably slower played which gives it a real feel of dispair and anger.Especially the new verse and rephrased other verses.

Only four songs are unreleased but its worth having this copy thats for sure.

Post # 4500

Everybody at one point will be listening to the greats ie. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, U2, Radiohead, etc. So my picks are albums that fall through the cracks.

DILLARD & CLARK "The Fantastic Expedition Of Dillard & Clark" (1968/A&M Records)

Originial Byrd Gene Clark could have been right up there with Gram Parsons in importance of creating country rock if it wasn't for his fear of flying. Ironic, eh? He was a Byrd that was afraid to fly.

Gene was quite the modest man as well, by not even having his name first on the billing with the duo he created with bonjoist Doug Dillard. The album also featured future Flying Burrito Brother and Eagle, Bernie Leadon playing guitar (Leadon will be at The Toronto [saturday July 17] and Ottawa [sunday July 18] Bluesfests in July along with another Byrd Chis Hillman. Both will be paying tribute to Gram Parsons each night), David Jackson on double bass and Don Beck on dobro.

Stand out tracks include "Train Leaves Here This Morning (Co-written with Leadon who took the song with him to the first Eagles album nearly four years later), "Why Not Your Baby", "The Radio Song" and "Git It On Brother."

Unfortunately Gene Clark died in 1992 after battling alcoholism for years.

BIG STAR "#1 Record" (1972/Stax Records)

This is one album that definitely everyone should have. Especially this being the debut and the only one with both Alex Chilton (former Box Top vocalist that sang the hit song "The Letter") and Chris Bell both on guitar and vocals. The who album was co-written by the two minus two tracks. The group was rounded off by Andy Hummel on bass and Jody Stevens on drums.

The album recorded in Memphis, TN at Ardent studios. Big Star created some of the most haunting and evocotive rcok songs ever created, though for some reason none of the songs off the album, or the album itself, were a hit. Which made the bands name very ironic too.

Soon after the record came out Chris Bell quit the band and suffered the same fate as a solo artist releasing great material that nobody cared to buy. Bell tragically died in a car crash just outside of Memphis in 1979.

I feel that every song on this record is great, though one song everybody should know if they have ever watched the FOX hit sitcom "That 70's Show". The opening credits has the Big Star tune "In The Street" on it. Unfortunately the version on "That 70's Show" is done by Cheap Trick, who I also like but the original is far better.

I was luck to see Jody Stevens a couple of times at the Horseshoe perform with the alt. country supergroup Golden Smog (which had Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, Gary Louris, Marc Perlman amd Kraig Johnson of The Jayhawks and Dan Murphy of Soul Asylum) back in December of 1998.

Recently Big Star reunited for a gig at the Sout By South West Festival. The line up contained Alex, Jody, and REM backing musicians Ken Stringfellow and Scott McCaughey. Oh how I wish I was a fly on the wall at that show! Alex has become a bit of a recluse and does not often perform and when he does it is never in this formate.

SUPER FURRY ANIMALS "Phantom Power" (2003/XL Recordings/Sony)

Do not confuse this album with the Tragically Hip album of the same name. Super Furry Animals "Phantom Planet" is far superior. Actually it's one of my favorite albums of the past couple of years. I was either going to put this album on my list or THE FLAMING LIPS "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots", but I picked the Super Furry Animals as I think that probably less people have heard of them.

The band is from Wales and are amazing at creating a wall of sound in their recordings that comes off making you smile, even if you are in a terrible mood. They create amazing pop rock songs, that being said this album has political overtones to it, though you could miss them in a heartbeat.

My favorite tracks on the record include "Hello Sunshine", "Liberty Belle", "Golden Retriever", and "Out Of Control".

Find them on www.superfurry.com