Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Rush @ The Molson Amp.

\/\/illy

I'm about to leave to go see RUSH! A friend checked for tickets yesterday and the show is sold out, so for all that waited, it's too late.

I can't wait to see RUSH perform covers for the first time. Here's hoping they do Buffalo Springfield's "Mr. Soul" as it hasn't been on their set this tour so far.

Totally awesome show. Not the kind of show to shake your sh!t at but man those guys can play!!! Neil Peart is an unbelieveable drummer. It was like Bonham on 75 speed. Crazy!! I'd see that again. Maybe a Saturday night show would be better. Everyone would be able to have a few more beers!

I found this review on the Star's website:

Rush shares laugh with its fans

BEN RAYNER

POP MUSIC CRITIC

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home ..."

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson was harrumphing his way through what appeared to be his best Cowardly Lion impersonation in the midst of a typically long, winding jam when he offered this sentiment to a fawning hometown crowd at the Molson Amphitheatre on Sunday night, but at least the remark seemed heartfelt.

This was the proud homecoming stop and final date on the venerable prog-rock institution's four-month, 30th-anniversary tour, and more than 16,000 of the local Rush faithful had jammed the lakeside venue on a perfect late-August evening to make vocal worship of the conquering Canadian heroes.

It was a big, beery party, one frequented overwhelmingly by air-drumming teenage boys, suburban metalheads and old, wasted biker dudes, who relished seeing every lick and lyric coming long before they happened. But the frequent smiles and the amount of un-Rush-like levity coming from the stage implied a similar level of enjoyment on the band's part, too.

"Thank you all for coming down tonight to help us celebrate," said bassist/singer Geddy Lee near the 45-minute mark of a crowd-pleasing set that would eventually extend well beyond three hours. "I'm afraid we're going to have to punish you — by playing way too much music. I hope you brought all the necessary requirements."

The unmistakable odour of one requirement hung thickly over the crowd ("It smells good in Toronto," Lifeson commented), although given the show's endlessly entertaining stoner accoutrements — animated dragons, UFOs flying the Jolly Roger, rapping skeletons, a scorching curtain of flames to close "One Little Victory," a light display that carved Aurora Borealis-like patterns across the top of the stage, and more lasers than Star Wars — something a little stronger would have been more appropriate.

Lee, Lifeson and virtuoso drummer Neil Peart gamely obliged the hash-hazed memories of every '70s teenager in attendance, starting the night with an instrumental medley of tunes from its earliest albums and a broad selection of tunes plucked from its fancifully metallic past ("Spirit Of The Radio"), the electronically abetted '80s ("Subdivisions," "YYZ") and the near-present (1991's dated, but still popular single "Roll The Bones," "Bravado").

The band begged off for a short break after a straight-ahead cover of the Who's "The Seeker" (a nod to its recent covers album, Feedback) "because we're a little bit old," but returned at full nightfall at the peak of its curious powers with "Tom Sawyer" to kick off the second set.

Attempts to rehabilitate lesser entries in the Rush catalogue — Grace Under Pressure's "Between The Wheels" ("a song that kind of fell through the cracks," according to Lee) and Vapor Trails' thrumming "Secret Touch" — were reasonably successful and a cover of the Yardbirds' "Heart Full Of Soul" had the crowd in fits, but the second-set highlight was inevitably going to be Peart's ludicrously ambitious twin-kit drum solo.

This display concluded with Peart hammering out the bare bones of a swing number using sampled horns triggered by swipes at his kit. It was inspired and flawless, but it also served as a reminder that, for all its seriousness, Rush isn't above chuckling at itself. The only way to get away with being ridiculous for 30 years, after all, is to acknowledge that you're ridiculous.

I used to love them (grade 10), then I hated them, now I like them again. They were easily the best band at SARS fest. Doesn't mean I own all the albums or anything. Seems to me they fail in 3 ways:

1) Geddy Lee's voice is too shrill (now better with age)

2) Turn off that fu©king flanger! It's on every song.

3) Lyrics can be pretentious (the !!@#!@# Trees?)

If you can get by these, then Rush can be good. They certainly can play, write good songs and are original.

Steve

That was a wicked show.....they even broke out some old ones I havn't seen them play live before(except on video) like Xanadu and Passage to Bankok....the stageshow was unbelievable too, lasers and fire, and computer animation.

I took some pictures, although we were a ways back and there was a stupid pole in the middle, but here they are anyways.

rush1.jpg

rush2.jpg

rush3.jpg

rush4.jpg

rush5.jpg

it was a pretty full house too, I havn't seen the Amp. that full since phish!

Nice Pictures fretman!

Here's the complete setlist from the show.

Rush @ The Molson Amphitheatre 08/22/04

Start time 7:45pm

Set I:

Introduction (with Jerry Stiller on screen)

1. R30 Overture (Medley with "Finding My Way," "Anthem," "Bastille Day," "The Temples Of Syrinx," "A Passage To Bangkok," "Cygnus X-1" and "Hemispheres")

2. Spirit Of The Radio

3. Force Ten

4. Animate

5. Subdivisions

6. Earthshine

7. Red Barchetta

8. Roll The Bones

9. Bravado

10. YYZ

11. The Trees

12. The Seeker

13. One Little Victory

End Set 9:02pm (1 hour and 17 minutes)

Break 19 minutes

Start time 9:21pm

Set II

14. Tom Sawyer

15. Dreamline

16. Secret Touch

17. Between The Sun & Moon

18. Mystic Rhythms

19. Red Sector A

20. Drum Solo

21. Resist

22. Heart Full Of Soul

23. 2112 (I. Overture II. The Temples Of Syrinx V. Grand Finale)

24. La Villa Strangiato

25. By Tor & The Snow Dog

26. Xanadu

27. Working Man

Encore:

28. Summertime Blues

29. Crossroads

30. Limelight

End Show 11:02 (Set II: 1 hour and 41 minutes)

I've noticed a few misguided people posting disparraging comments about Rush. First, I would like to say that we should not thumb our noses at one of the few Canadian bands who have reached international acclaim. Second, I, too disliked Rush until I was offered free tickets to their show in 1989. I had nothing better to do that night, so I went. The show blew me away, and I ended up coming back the next night to pay to see them again. I have also seen them a few more times since. I still have no Rush discs and don't count myself a fan, but if you haven't seen them live you really can't comment. They rock hard, live, and they are incredibly accomplished musicians. (Also, I agree with the post about the SARSfest, however, I think Rush was the second best band there. AC/DC kicked my @ss at that show! The Stones, of course, were a disappointing embarrassment.)

That show was fu©king amazing! Seen them 6 times before this one. From what I remember, this has been the best one. What the Frank Costanza? (that was weird and cool) Neil Peart is a God on the kit! I've seen/heard many drum solos, but his have got to be the most innovative and well crafted. Great to see that even at their age they're tighter than ever and not slipping. Those tunes are incredibly complicated and they nailed everything, flawlessly I might add. I was really digging the visuals, especially on zoomers, pot and beer. I'm still buzzing off that show. So glad I went. If you're a music lover, Rush fan or not, go see them! You won't be disappointed!

Hey folks, missed this show 'cus I've been in Vancouver for the last week and a bit, but caught them at Darien - smokin'! I've seen Rush about 12 or 13 times since 1986 and they are definitely at their peak as performers at the moment. Alex's guitar sound has never, EVER been better, and Neil proves again that he is definitely the greatest hard rock drummer alive, and possibly ever.

Oh and MarcO:

As the former guitar player for Toronto, I resent that.

Don;t it make ya feel like dancin'?

"Don't It Make Ya Feel (Like Dancing)" was by the Headpins. Toronto did "Your Daddy Don't Know", "Girls Night Out" and "Head On".

Come on dude, at least get your cheesey 80s girl-lead Canadian bands right. :: ;)

Peace,

Mr. M.