Jambands.ca

new to montreal!!

wharfrat611

Guest Low Roller

Oui, Montréal, je connais cette ville très bien. En faite je viens juste de retourner de Montréal hier, après y avoir passé quelques jours. So yeah, where you from?

ok so for all that want the story here it is........I am originally from NYC (born and raised) But was living in florida last year to take care of mommy...when i went to see phish for new years all four nights i met this adorable phamily from montreal. We had a wonderful time together and said our goodbyes after the last show and thought that was that. Then in brooklyn in june at the phish show i saw this gerls face from across a crowd of 10000 so i ran across the place and found the current love of my life ....her name is christine. So after many hundreds of dollars in phone calls and airfare and other expenses i have decided to move the the great north and live with her ..we live in downtown mtl and i the only show i have been to so far is Addison groove project at Le swiming.. and although the show was good i really didn't like the freshman feel af the bar it was at ..so i was hoping to find some nice KIND phriends on this board ... i hope i have answered your questions......and am def looking forward to moe and the slip ....i just had a blast at moe down.....also i am 29 years old and have seen about 100 dead shows and 97 phish shows and countless other shows in between

You were at AGP? If you saw a tall, bearded guy with glasses (and a nero t-shirt) hovering around and behind that concrete pillar in front of the stage, that was me. (I was in town [from Ottawa] to see and tape AGP on Sept. 10 and then Blue Quarter w/ Contact on Sept. 11.)

As far as bars go, Le Swimming seems to be the one that gets most of the bands. I don't mind it as a bar (except for their lack of Diet Coke :( ), and it usually gets a good crowd out, even though most of them are there for the pool rather than the band.

Welcome aboard; see you for The Slip and moe.!

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Sorry man, you won't find too many MTL pholk on this board. Rumour has it that this site didn't meet guidelines for bilingualism standards as decreed by the Office De La Langue Nationale, or as they affectionatly known the Language Cops, and was banned in Québéc. Of course I may be only kidding.

Welcome aboard!

Since Montreal is in Quebec the English community is fairly small in comparison to other communities. As far as music is concerned, there are montreal acts that seem to fill the bubble which is montreal. My best bet would be to get to know the montreal scene and slowly infiltrate those shows with opening acts and get bigger acts to invite montreal acts, as cheezy as some of them might be, into the foray.

Also, i'm pretty sure that jamhub has most of the Montreallers in their grasp as far as messageboards go. It's closer to the east...great site (much more news than the rest of the jambands.ca site...but that's not why i come to jambands.ca...all the news is in the forums), but it's not a very ontario heavy site. This site seems to be more centralized.

I'd suggest going to that other site too and perhaps after befriending the montreallers there, bring them over to upper canada...I think both sites are awesome and need more crossover usage...but back on topic, go to the park on mont royal on sunday as long as the weather's nice for the drum jam. you'll see a shitload of hippies, and since i'm pretty sure you can driunk in public in Quebec it's a pretty awesome party. you can find whatever treats you want there and there are cool vendors (and crazy drum circles...my hands are still slightly tender from this past sunday...i was in Montreal this past weekend)

anyway, you'd better rock it hard dude. it's an awesome town and the ladies are beautiful...they don't just look hot...and people are pretty friendly and outgoing...especially if they can understand you.

if you want a cool brew pub to check out - go to la boire a'mere - i forget what street it's on...close to cherrier and st. andre...a few blocks in that radius...try the oktoberfest brew. it's awesome.

if i were going to live in a big canadian city it'd be montreal for sure.

after you're settled for awhile check out other cities like Ottawa, Toronto, and Hamilton...maybe you should hit the entire slip tour and moe. tour...you'll get a good feel for the cities if you have someone to show you around.

I hope you're liking Canada. Most chill Americans seem to.