Jambands.ca

what's more important to you?

shitidiot

what's your important to you? is it the groove, improvisation, musicianship, originality, familiarness.........on and on

for me it's the whole package. can the band play and put on a good show. take SKB or FHB well there musicianship is great. there on stage performace lack's. there for tacking away from the whole show. i like the whole package, good songs, good stage presence and most of all the ability to through down when need be. like MMW

i also am a fan of the song. i dislike endless jamming that goes nowhere. there is some thing to be said about a good song. strong lyrical content expressing deep personal emotion and or observations, smart time changes, well writen bridge/coda/ending.

I like the whole package also.

But it can also be effected by the type of music I am listening to.

With Dylan for example I am more drawn by the words and the flow of the words added to that the melody.Same goes for people like Shannon Lyon & Doug Feaver,the singer/songwriter types.

Bands like the Grateful Dead,ABB & Little Feat for example I want the whole package.Same with bluegrass.

i'd have to say the ability to improvise around a theme and actually build and move around some energy.

is that vague enough?

hmm

thinking about that response i don't think that's it for me - i imagine people might take that to mean 'get the people dancing and it's all good'. that's not the case. i mean a thoughtful idea - a musical and/or lyrical expression (and the emotions tied up in that) - that the musician actually engages in performance. the musician actually tries to hash this idea up until it is opposite of where it started and seamlessly shift it back til you know it was all the same all along. shifting perspective through improvisation. it's gotta be done with pure intentions though, i don't wanna be listening to someone who's walked this path many times before and is playing cause they like to hear themselves play that riff or what have you. they've gotta want to learn something and go someplace new - whether they make it someplace new every time is not what's important, but that they tried and are putting themselves out there.

ok so i changed my answer: good (pure) intention

edit: on second thought (or third or so, anyway.,..) i think it's the ability to freakin rock it right out.

for example, guigsy, brahm and i saw a band called cmon in london on tuesday. we went up close to check em out, and while at first i was thinkin 'i don't know about this, this isn't really the type of music i think i can get into' as soon as that thought had completed in my mind i had already scratched it right out. they were giving so much and absolutely freaking it. that's what i'm talkin about. they were doing their thing and kicking it's ass, and that's what i dig.

as an aside, i'm going to start rocking out my bass in lingerie too :: hehehe. that sister ruled.

All that matters is whether or not it's good... Plain and simple...

Just so I know where your coming from bro,you mean if its good to the person who is listening right?

Because,I can think of shows I just wouldn't enjoy that you would and vice versa.For examples sake:

You - Gabber

Me - The Gourds

I mention the Gourds only because I heard you & Paisley don't understand why I love the Gourds,which is cool and all, alt-country/bluegrass/folk isn't everyones cup o' tea.

hey friendly, dont mean to hijack your thread, but i have a question that i think is kinda tied to this, and could help in answering some of this.. at least it'll be interesting if people wanna play along..

ok, what's important to you? literally, what pieces of music are important to you, that kinda define what music means to you? not necessarily how it influenced music as a whole, but how it influenced you. they dont even have to be your favourites necessarily. lets pick some albums (if you want to substitute a show, 1 show = 1 album) that you think would be an important listen for someone else to understand how you feel about music.

off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

frank zappa - we're only in it for the money

modest mouse - the moon and antarctica

the slip - 08.07.04, ice cream truck show

rheostatics - music inspired by the group of 7

the beatles - abbey road

the grateful dead - 03.29.90

wilco - yankee hotel foxtrot

thrush hermit - clayton park

tom waits - nighthawks at the diner

silver jews - american water

I could pick 200+ live shows by Dylan or the Grateful Dead,so I'll go with a studio album instead.

Bob Dylan - Blood on the tracks

The Grateful Dead - Working Man's Dead

The Band - Music from Big Pink

Fat Cats - Cruelty's Cure

Shannon Lyon - Tales of a yellow Heart

Very honorable mentions,actually where I am at musically right now outside of Dylan's music.

Just the bands,no specific album or shows,all of it really..

The Gourds

The Old Crow Medicine Show

Daniel Lanois

David Bromberg

The Slip

Shannon Lyon

I could go on & on.

ya man, i had to cut myself off too... but thats good, that shows a lot of diversity in interests, and the more people that throw some down and offer it up, the more chances someone might pick up on something and discover something new for themselves.. thats kinda what im after here...

Just so I know where your coming from bro,you mean if its good to the person who is listening right?

Because,I can think of shows I just wouldn't enjoy that you would and vice versa.For examples sake:

You - Gabber

Me - The Gourds

I mention the Gourds only because I heard you & Paisley don't understand why I love the Gourds,which is cool and all, alt-country/bluegrass/folk isn't everyones cup o' tea.

You heard wrong, brah, I like the Gourds... But yeah, as long as I think it's good, it's good... I've never suffered through a band because everyone else says it's good... Example: Ween...

ok i stated this but i can't finish, there too many. there is no album or style that define what music means. music means alot of thing to me.

heres what i got down befor i gave up

pink floyd- animals

john lennon- imagine

beatles- white album

deric and the dominos- live at the filmore

neil young- harvest

jimi hendrix- axis bold as love

marvin gay- what going on

bob dylan- nashville skyline

ween- chocolat and cheese

traffic- welcome to the canteen

santana & buddy miles- live

there is so much more............. there all the classic soul albums temtations, marvin gay, steve wonder. theres all the great county music. there all the great reggae. theres jazz, funk, clasical. on and on

so let's get back on topic. what's important to U

"what's your important to you? is it the groove, improvisation, musicianship, originality, familiarness.........on and on"

Good taste. That's what's important to me. Whether it comes in the form of somgwriting or in an improvised musical setting, or a phat dance groove, it's gotta demonstrate good aesthetic taste on the part of the artist. I don't wanna make any apologies for the music I listen to, in order to get through it.

So, for me (*this is subjective, folks*) this is way I like The New Deal, but dislike The Disco Bisuits. Why I like James Taylor but not Cat Stevens. Why I like The Grateful Dead but dislike The Dead. Why I like Bill Frisell but not Yngvie Malmsteen. You get the picture.....

Songs, jamming - whatever - what you *don't* do is as important as what you do.