Jambands.ca

Let's (Not) Write A Song!

MarcO

Together, we can pen the finest, deepest song ever written, I'm sure of it. 1 chorus, 3 verses. Let's call it: Tears Of The Phillistine. Here's the first line of the first verse to get it started.

Tears Of The Phillistine

by: the Sanctuary

Baby, baby, baby, you do me oh-so good,

Okay I don't think we're off to a great start there. Last year I got home from Come Together on May 24 and found out my friend Kyle killed herself. She was a punk and had the alphabet tatooed around her arm because she couldn't decide what to get. She also had COMMITMENT splayed across her abdomen in gothic script. She was that kind of girl, I mean eccentric not well you know what I mean. I've never written a song or lyric before really (all critics are failed artists and all that) but this just came to mind. Not sure if it's right for this song but it's a chorus:

26 Letters for five long years

26 for headstrong tears

26 changing gears

Didn't you?

thats sad about your friend, hate when people kill themselves... but its everyone's right I guess, sorta... sure hurts the people you leave behind... sounds like she was still finding herself and had a lot of confusion... wish she had just run away and travelled instead

had a schitzophrenic friend, amongst others, kill himself but I understood that better as no matter what he did the voices wouldn't shut up and just let him live somewhat normally... was in his 30s, couldn't get a girl, always lost his friends, couldn't hold a job... 6'4", good looking, spoke 11 languages, could talk phsyics or chemistry or you name it with any professor... came and found me at the bar one night and asked me if I knew he loved me, thought that was wierd but told him of course and loved him too, he thanked me and stared at me kindly for a few minutes, left, walked to the top of the skyway bridge and jumped

I always pictured that he sang a song at the top of his voice as he fell, he really like to sing, drowned out the voices

tragic things in life teach you how good things are outside of tragic times

better off becoming a junkie than doing yourself in in most cases... join the circus... become a pirate

I appreciate the kind words wasn't fishing but I guess you know that. It's pretty hard to think of it right now. The timing is weird because this all happened right before the last Toronto Slip show at the ElMo. I don't know for once I'm at a loss for words. I know people here have lost friends and some quite recently. I don't know if many of you have been to places in your mind that would make you think of doing the same though. Try and appreciate that when dealing with mental illness and particularly affective disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder the chances of suicide escalate dramatically. Add substance abuse and particularly alcohol to the mix and the numbers go even higher. I believe for instance that 1 in 4 bipolar or manic depressives kill themselves if left unmedicated. 1 in 4! The sheer weight of the mental and emotional pressure you are under coupled with a deep self hatred and shame is pretty much enough to put anyone over. Trying to remember that there are people who love you often comes as little consolation. It just becomes very difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel is all.

It just becomes very difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel is all.

sometimes you just have to keep going knowing that the light is there, though you can't see it cause there's a bend in the tunnel

knowing you have an illness helps, when you find yourself getting out of hand you have to try to step back and let the storm pass... hiking, camping, writing, making art, playing music can help at bad times... or a nero run (kidding about that last one, they're great fun but not when you're at the end of your rope)

hey paisley, i dont think you're too far off on the last one... music can definitely help and heal and maybe even save. i think some bands have that gift. i mean, i can think of low periods in my life where all i had was the music and words of someone else to take me to a spot and almost serve as therapy... i can even give an example that is directly related to the band you mentioned (even though as i read what you wrote i immediately thought of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and how it got me through this period of my life, but...): in terms of my own personal feelings and things i was dealing with at the time, you know bad sh!t piling up higher and higher to the point of almost being overwhelming, being depressed out of your mind and trying everything you can not to show it or overcome it... well, i went through that for about a 6 week period on the left coast, and one of the most memorable nights i had, took my mind off things, allowed me to unwind and not really consider all of that sh!t, was a nero show on granville island. its one of the few truly positive things i brought back with me... i've since turned all the negatives into positives, but at the time, you dont see it that way.

so back to this song writing business.... umm... i got nothin at the moment...

hey paisley, i dont think you're too far off on the last one... music can definitely help and heal and maybe even save. i think some bands have that gift. i mean, i can think of low periods in my life where all i had was the music and words of someone else to take me to a spot and almost serve as therapy... i can even give an example that is directly related to the band you mentioned (even though as i read what you wrote i immediately thought of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and how it got me through this period of my life, but...): in terms of my own personal feelings and things i was dealing with at the time, you know bad sh!t piling up higher and higher to the point of almost being overwhelming, being depressed out of your mind and trying everything you can not to show it or overcome it... well, i went through that for about a 6 week period on the left coast, and one of the most memorable nights i had, took my mind off things, allowed me to unwind and not really consider all of that sh!t, was a nero show on granville island. its one of the few truly positive things i brought back with me... i've since turned all the negatives into positives, but at the time, you dont see it that way.

true enough, I have the music and friendly dancing forms surrounding me to thank for pulling me back from the brink a few years ago... sometimes you just need to let it go and forget yourself... alright, its back in ::

Song written MarcO, sung to the tune of Let The Sunshine In (from the Flintstones)

[kimock voice-over] Shuuuuut the fuuuuuck up[/kimock voice-over]

MarcO told me something

A little head should know

Its all about this Zero

And some learned to hate him so

He said he causes trouble

When you let him in the Skank

He will never ever leave you

If your bag is full of dank

So let the sunshine in

face it with a grin

Smilers never lose