Jambands.ca

Greendale on TV tonight!

DevO

I went to the premiere of "Greendale" at the Toronto International Film Festival the day after Neil Young's second Greendale concert at the Air Canada Centre. At the premiere which Neil Young was at I screamed "Great film Neil!" and he replied to me "Hey, thanks!"

As Neil Young films go I wasn't lying either. Comparing "Greendale" to "Journey Through The Past" and "Human Highway," "Greendale" should have won an academy award.

Hey bouche,

Another time I'll tell you about how I garnered different responses from Phil Keaggy, Dan Murphy (Soul Asylums guitarist at a Golden Smog gig) Jim Cuddy (at a Blue Rodeo gig), Bruce Cockburn, Beck and Chris Robinson (at a solo New Earth Mud gig) to name a few. I guess I'm good at getting a reponse from musicians on stage.

also on Bravo today (well, it was on earlier) is a really sweet movie about Lenny Breau, the somewhat unsung Canadian guitar virtuoso who was murdered in 1984 (which was odd because by all accounts he was the kindest guy on the planet)... definately worth watching

his playing reminds me of some of the things Brad Barr does... possibly an influence?

The late Lenny Breau was an uncrowned king of jazz fingerstyle guitar. A relatively unknown voice on the instrument, he startled newcomers to his music by his ability to comp chords behind himself sounding like two guitarists, ring out lengthy bell-like harmonic passages, tastefully blend his influences of country, jazz and flamenco and fluidly improvise in this sryle.

yeah, he was a junkie and was back and forth between the junk and the methadone for over a decade, but his family accepted that and had his friends keep an eye on him and call them so if he started to get way out of hand they'd go pick him up and take him back out to the farm to clean up

what I read online said he was found strangled by a pool in Hollywood

"He is one of the true geniuses of the guitar. I suppose he is a musician's musician. His knowledge of the instrument and the music is so vast, and I think that's what knocks people out about him. But he's such a tasty player too. I think if Chopin had played guitar, he would have sounded like Lenny Breau." - Chet Atkins

"He dazzled me with his extraordinary guitar playing... I wish the world had the opportunity to experience his artistry." - George Benson

"Lenny Breau played more great stuff at one time than anybody on the planet... with feeling and tone. He was the best that ever lived, bar none." - the late Danny Gatton

I think he was found drowned, and the cops never verified how he died. Frankly, the cop in charge of the case did such little investigation he didn't know the correct pronunciation of his name!

"Lenny Breau played more great stuff at one time than anybody on the planet... with feeling and tone. He was the best that ever lived, bar none." - the late Danny Gatton

There's a quote on the best by the second best. For the record, I guess Breit is third.

from what I read they thought he'd drowned but then a week later they figured out he'd been strangled, still unsolved

like to pick up some of his recordings, guess not many are still in print... his playing is phenomenal in the documentary, I was sleeping and it woke me up "who the hell is that playing?"

(I said he was Canadian but in reading up on him found he was actually from Maine and moved to the maritimes in his youth then to near Winnipeg)

I've got a few of his recordings Paisley. The next time you're over, remind me and I'll put some on for you. Good stuff for sure.

From Wikipedia:

Lenny Breau (August 5, 1941–August 12, 1984) was a brilliantly innovative American-born Canadian jazz guitarist who brought together country, classical, flamenco and jazz guitar techniques, then merged and developed them into a unique and influential personal style. His astonishing technical ability was matched by a wide musical knowledge and deep imagination; Breau's available recordings range from thoughtful, delicate and poetic extended improvisations to pyrotechnic explosions of shimmering notes. Largely unknown in popular music, even today he remains a musician's musician and one of the greatest jazz guitarists who ever lived.