Jambands.ca

top 5 live rock 'n' roll albums

shitidiot

This is such a hard question, but I am going to go with:

Band Of Gypsies

Allmans - Live at the Fillmore East

Live Dead - Jesus Christ, the Dark Star!

Derek and the Dominoes

Zappa/Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere - (Seriously Jaimoe, I still dont even own it, but when I first heard it, I was sure you were opening Pandora's Box)

Other picks in here that I love include Reckoning and Nirvana Unplugged. Looks like I am going out on a mission tomorrow to get that Iron Maiden one. Where is my old heady baseball-style IM shirt? Good ole grade 9!

That James Brown one that Jaimoe put up is also incredible. SG forever has my heart for throwing up The Deepest End. Seriously, that is pretty much a 'must-own' and will only get better with age.

(Holy crap, I gotta go to bed. Must stop playing online poker............)

I agree with the selections so far, but I think I'd rank "Zappa In New York" slightly ahead of "Roxy & Elsewhere", mostly because it's a double CD, and because of the horn section (gad, Randy and Michael Brecker?) and Terry Bozzio, not to mention Don Pardo's narration.

Aloha,

Brad

the best? i dunno... but these 5 have probably gotten the most play in my stereo over the years...

Rheostatics - Double Live (seriously, the ultimate Saskatchewan!)

Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner (ok, its more loungy/jazzy, but still...)

Grateful Dead - Ladies and Gentleman... The Grateful Dead (i just love it!)

Johnny Cash - Live At Folsom Prison (sure its country, but still...)

Built To Spill - Live (now that's some rock!)

Man I can't believe I forgot to mention an album that I've worn through the grooves!

BB King - Live at Cook County Jail

king_cookf.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I have much love and respect for Freddie and Albert. But one listen to this record and you will realize why BB King really is the King of the Blues. This record is worth buying for three of the eight cuts - don't get me wrong, the record smokes front to back, but the three defining moments are:

How Blue Can You Get

Worry,Worry, Worry

Darling, You Know I Love You (Side 2 medley)

The first two because BB cuts loose on the guitar, plenty of sweet left-hand trills and melodic lines. The third, because he hits this note singing...you'll understand when you hear it. It's in the last chorus:

"Well you've GOOOONE! GOO-OO-OO-ONE and left me, for someone else!" It's sweet.

I beseech you, if you haven't heard this record, it blows Live at the Regal out of the water. Pick it up.

Much agreement on the BB,awesome album.

Another great live blues album (and one of my favourites) is

John Lee Hooker - Live At Soledad Prison.

I have it on vinyl but in searching for it on CD I found its been coupled with another live album called "In Person".

I've yet to grab it but I imagine if one part is the soledad show the other is just as good.