Jambands.ca

gift help?

Douglas

ok, so I have a "dad" that I'm trying to buy a gift for. And after the shopping experience I had tonight with Toddles, I've realized that my list is just as bad as his. This man that I've considered a father for over a decade is lacking an item beside his name on my list. And I've been trying so damn hard to think of something great for him for Christmas. It's really tough this year, and I'm sure it's because I just wanna let him know how much I love and appreciate hime him , but I just can't think of that perfect gift. It's super tough this year and every gift I think of, ends up with "crap!"

please help

fart machine was at Lowblaw's....canned meat section!! haha! jk! (really Lowblaw's though)

no tye. He use to sell real-estate...recently retired. Now full-time grandfather. Owns a palm and a digital camera, but still on the vcr train. He use to love to cook, but not so much anymore. Use to love golf, but I don't know how much he'll get out next summer. So yeah...fulltime grampa, and I'm certainly not willing to host my uterus right yet for anther grandbaby for him!

i am having the same problem sister... i'm done shopping for almost everyone (even my secret skanc santa person who i have never even seen in real life) but nothing for my dad! is your dad a wine drinker? my dad is mostly a scotch man (blechhhh) but wine sometimes - the other day at my department xmas dinner, the hostess had this thing called a "corklift", it was sooooo cool and super easy to use, you know how dads (and boys in general) like toys that make things look really high tech and whatnot, well i think this may be the answer. (was that one sentence? sheesh, sorry, i've been reading kerouac again, heheh)

so yeah... the CORKLIFT. i'll see what i can look up..

255234zz.jpg

okay it looked something like this only cooler. bigger. (and ummmm pink wine? don't think so...)

I got my dad an awesome gift this year. I rented an ice fishing hut for him and made up gift certificates for my sister, two brothers and brother-in-law to join him for a day of ice fishing! He's going to love the fishing part, but even more he'll be stoked to have a day with his family like that.

Hope that inspires you!

i think the key is to write him a good card -- regardless of what the gift is. i sent my dad off a book, cd and a card for his birthday and i was feeling like i didn't really know about the gifts, but i wanted to make sure he got the 'you're the most awesome dad and inspiring person ever' kind of feeling from it. the card ended up being really simple, but he totally got from it everything i had hoped --- he called to thank me for his gift, and while he dug the cd and loved the book (he went out and bought copies of it for his friends) he really wanted to thank me for the card.

so that's my story. hope it helps.

Go to Lee Valley Tools. They have weird and wonderful stuff for the entire family--stuff that you'd have a hard time finding elsewhere. http://www.leevalley.com/

I got The Mercenary's mom an "instant" vase there. She lives in a small apartment, so I figured that a vase that can be stored flat (and reused, duh) would be cool. The Mercenary's kid is a science nerd so I'm giving him a pair of gyroscopes.

I'll warn ya: The store is *very* busy at this time of year. I'd suggest ordering from home and making use of their prepaid pickup service. The store is just off the Queensway, near Pinecrest (and IKEA).

hmmm... my dad loves the scotch... and sailing, but i can't really afford anything boat-related. maybe, something that will attach on the boat that holds his scotch glass?

(sorry, apparently i just decided to tell everyone what i might get MY dad... jeez i am sooooo self-absorbed ::)