Jambands.ca

stupid.ca Commercials...

Del

Anyone else bothered by these? Smoker or not, these are pretty stupid... The girl that rubs sh!t all over herself? Or the guy that pours windex on his cereal? How about the guy that puts horns on a helmet and runs around the forest? Listen, we all know smoking is bad... But until the government bans it (which I sometimes wish they would), it's STILL LEGAL... Quit making smokers feel like assholes for buying something that THE GOVERNMENT ALLOWS! Why not lobby the government to ban it, instead of trying to guilt smokers into quitting... It's an addiction, treat it as such... If these groups spent the money on support groups to help treat the addiction, instead of isolating us and trying to make us feel bad, I think they'd have a much better chance of eradicating smoking entirely... These stupid.ca commercials almost make me light up every time I see one... I'm a little too smart to believe that a smoke or two an hour is the equivalent to drinking half a bottle of Windex in one sitting... I'm sure the non-smokers will speak up here, but don't bitch at me, bitch at the government... You can buy tobacco 24 hours a day, you can't even buy booze that often. And booze, in the long run, can be just as harmful to you... Basically, until the government bans smoking, don't make me feel like a criminal for doing it...

totally agreed. it's fu©king ridiculous. those commercials are just pr to make the government look like they care about the people that get addicted to a harmful product that they allow and end up dying from it. the government loves the money made on taxes and in the private sector from tobacco. smokes won't be banned in my lifetime and cars that don't use oil will never be that popular. the government is an institution to maintain the status quo, not to aid in the betterment of the world.

I somewhat agree with you bokonon... The government collects ridiculous taxes from the packs of smokes sold... When people bitch about health care costs associated with smoking, I often cite the increase of the price of cigarettes... Do people really think that the cost of growing tobacco has risen? No, the government is collecting LARGE off of tobacco sales... I'm not saying that justifies selling tobacco to the masses, in fact, I'm saying the opposite. Why not suck it up, quit selling us these "death sticks", and deal with the extra costs... Because cigarettes pay for A LOT more than just the health costs of smokers, it's paying for the health costs of non-smokers too... And health care is so fragile at the moment that losing those tobacco dollars could be the "make or break" for the Canadian health care system these days...

Well, banning it would force us to either a) start growing it, B) smuggle it from the States (I can hope, I LOVE U.S. smokes...), or c) quit... I don't think the majority of people would choose options a or b... They could at least TRY it... (Oh wait, what about all the taxes the government collects? I forgot about those...)

I agree with that... but, look at pot, its not like banning marijuana has had much success on stopping people from smoking weed.. i don't disagree with you... I just wonder, what is the best solution?? Is there a need for a solution?? Or should people be allowed to choose how they wish to live their lives... that would get my vote for the record.

The second hand smoker will be all over your comment... A lot of people don't smoke pot because it's illegal... I'm not saying some people aren't militant about their smoking, I think some people would grow, some would smuggle, but a large majority would quit, simply because they are willing to do what the government tells them to... I think the money involved with taxes (and kick backs from the the tobacco industry, which rarely gets discussed in Canada) will never allow tobacco to be fully banned in this country... Kind of like how gas prices will never dip to the levels that we've all witnessed in previous years... Money rules the world, and I personally think there's just too much money to be made off of smokers... Why ban something that is, for all intents and purposes, a cash cow for the government... Just berate people until they feel like assholes, regardless of what addictive traits that drug has on people...

People that want to smoke should be able to smoke...however, they shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public places where non smokers have to breathe that sh!t in. In Calgary, and this is soooo stupid and ass backwards, they have banned people from smoking on patios OUTSIDE but they can smoke all they want INSIDE. What a fu©ked up city this is..

Guest Low Roller

Man, I'm loving these daily Del rants.

The stupid.ca commercials are aimed directly at people who might start smoking in an attempt to persuade them to quit before they even start. But Ollie's right, you can't fight cool.

smoking should not be banned. i love smoke free bars. but i think if people want to smoke (anything) they should be allowed to do it. just don't make me smoke it too. i quit already. go smoke outside where you're not hurting other people's lungs as much and pick up your butts damnit! fu©k the government telling us what we can and cannot smoke. smoke 'em if you got 'em and you wanna smoke 'em.

i don't smoke anything because pot makes me gag and cigarrettes don't do anything for me. however i love pot cookies!

up with pot cookies!

I agree with you Del. We have plenty of legal hazards available to us..targeting smoking is much more political the medical. This latest campaign is just a reactive approach to the mychoice.ca stuff and it's over the top, even for my cousin who is 11 and probably dead center in the demographic they're targeting.

The only key differential about it is the secondhand smoke. As a non-smoker I think my rights to a smoke-free environment pretty much trump yours in public or common spaces. What you do in your home, and affects only you, is your choice though.