Jambands.ca

Discussion of the Day: 2005-01-27

bradm

secondtube gave some advice to Douglas

if you can, listen to soothing music...

in an effort to help her deal with some pretty traumatic stuff this morning. This makes me think about how music relates to mood, and how music should be selected based on one's (current or desired) mood.

For example, I find that when I have particularly strong emotions going on (anger, for example), the last thing I want is soothing, sedate music. Instead, I reach for the intense stuff (for anger, artists like Living Colour or Fishbone do it for me), and, in listening to it, use the music as a "vent" for the emotions, letting them out rather than smoothing them out.

So, today's discussion centres around how you match music and mood: do you choose music that matches the mood you want to be in (but aren't), or do you choose it based on the mood you're in at the moment?

Aloha,

Brad

For me it's all of those things but also largely environmental. There are certain CD's that beg to be played on a grey, cold, crisp late-Autumn morning, and others that need to get played on a humid, Friday night in August. The fact that those selections may end up being the same doesn't matter - it's still part of the process by which I choose music.

I must say, I think I try to match my mood as well. When I'm super angry, the last thing I want to hear are songs that remind me of being happy. I don't want to taint them. :) I'm a big fan of At the Drive In when I'm raging mad. I need the screaming. It doesn't take long before I've mellowed out enough to listen to Primus or Modest Mouse or something. Eventually I can receed back into my usual listening tastes, but I need some rage at first.

The worst is when that happens first thing in the morning. Nothing like the Deftones for breakfast. ;)

There are certain CD's that beg to be played

When it's raining:

Morphine (Like Swimming)

Charlie Parker

After a break-up:

Billie Holiday's Greatest Hits

After hearing from an old friend:

The Velvet Underground

If I was ever to off myself (ha ha):

California Dreamin' by the Mama's & the Papa's. Mercy! That song and a metronome is my idea of hell. ::

I don't know why those albums/artists at those times. Any other time, pretty much anything goes. Well, except for country or Rush. ::

if I hop in the vehicle and throw on say, a sick Walkin' Blues (6.17.91 comes to mind) - the world is a happy place. ;)

hahahahahaha! nice one, hux!

im big on the environmental aspect of listening to music, too.. its gotta suit the atmosphere... and usually i go with the mood i am in, rather than the mood i want to be in, as it relates to the atmosphere... i find its hard to push yourself into a mood... i mean, if you're in a mood, be in a mood, embrace it, whatever it is, let it flow through ya.. ie: if im feeling like ass and i try to put on some happy music to fix it, i often get more pissed off and have to put something on thats even darker. and typically, if im already feeling real good, i see no need to bring myself down. music can be super emotional for me, so i gotta be careful. ::

I don't often get angry, so I can't comment on what is good 'angry music'.

However, I do often like to use music to change moods rather than match them... if I need an energy boost, or if I just want to get into party mode, I throw on some funk and away we goooo! I can't say I ever want to put on sad depressing music because I am down... that just seems silly to me.

The "moods" of music for me are usually

- high energy music(most of the time)

- relaxing (i.e. while working, dinner)

- attempts to comprehend ("blow my mind away because I can't believe how talented these friggers are".

- or up north/out in the country music.

i used to drive everywhere listening to ameican beauty with all the windows down and the sunroof open no matter what season it was, i miss my volvo. :(

when guys are pissing me off it's ani difranco or janis joplin all the way,

when i'm either nice and content or really needing a pick me up i listen to reggae

i love listening to jazz when it's snowing

When ya need a boost, i'm all about early upbeat dead, sublime or long beach dub allstars, or R.H.C.P,

but when ya wanna relax and be mellow and just sunday drivin with a haze in the car, ya need some vida blue or the slip, or some bob marley

When i'm in a bitter mood though, I need something really intense, like Fu Manchu, rage, or something of that nature

The Safety Dance

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind

'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance

Well they're no friends of mine

Say, we can go where we want to, a place that they will never find

And we can act like we come from out of this world

Leave the real one far behind

And we can dance

We can go when we want to, the night is young and so am I

And we can dress real neat from our hats to our feet

And surprise them with the victory cry

Say, we can act if we want to, if we don't nobody will