Jambands.ca

Logistics for Rheos

bradm

I checked the weather forecast for Ottawa, and it looks like Saturday might be warm enough for me to be outside (with the gear I need for BNB) for the Rheos show. If I go, has there been any discussion of where everybody'll be? Is there any warming up happening? (I also might be tempted to tape the Rheos; if I do, I'll probably just use my little mics, taped to my head/hat, and stand near a PA speaker.)

Aloha,

Brad

not sure if this has been posted - looks like they won't be playing The Group of Seven. What was Kevin Hearn's role in this supposed to be?

from the rheos webiste:

The Rheos will play Ottawa's annual Winterlude Festival at 7:00 p.m., however, Kevin Hearn has had to back out, which means that Group of Seven won't be on the bill

hey you big wooly mammoth... hearn's role was basically that of keys and piano... maybe 'ersh could sit in and save the group of 7 afterall!? ::

and ollie... we're watching from a hill? not on the ice? no need for skates for the show? everything i was envisioning about this show is all going down the tubes, hahah...

Basically, the stage and the aforementioned platform cross the entire width of the canal, which is basically about 6 feet off the ice...I think they have a passage so you can walk under the stage. Facing the stage is a hill right behind the NAC making in essence a type of outdoor amphitheatre...you could probably watch the show from skates at either side of the stage/platform area, but you would be about 6 feet below the stage/platform...Now if the band plays on the platform, you could see and hear, but because it'll be cold outside, the band will probably be tucked inside the stage with space heaters, I'm actually quite interested to see what will happen...Can you tell I am uber pumped for this?!?!?! Something about watching a great Canadian band in the great canadian outdoor, on the world's biggest skating rink!!!

I'm really surprised to read that people are upset that this won't be a Group of 7 show. I'd be more excited that it's now a regular Rheos show.

I own Group of 7, someone want to enlighten me as to why they wanted to see it live?

not your thing, dave-o?

i dunno, for me, i dont really consider it a *real* rheos album, i mean, it is, but the concept is really unlike anything they've done otherwise, so i kind of keep that one on its own in a special section of the rheos discography.. in my mind, anyways.. haha.. personally, i love it. i think it's a really great body of music. the story behind how it came together, and the fact that its only been played once in its entirety is intriguing to me... i've probably seen the rheostatics close to 20 or 25 times, and this was going to be an entirely different show for me... dont get me wrong, its not like im pissed off that i get to see an awesome canadian band in an awesome setting.. exact opposite, actually... but i was really excited for the atmosphere that the group of 7 music can create, in that setting.. its just something that i've always wanted to see.

Fair enough.

I love the concept of the album and all, I just think it would be kinda dull live. But I can see how a Rheos vet like yourself would be anxious to see the rarity.

Enjoy the show! The Rheos thoroughly kicked my ass at Evolve 5 (I hadn't seen them since the 90's).

It's a fantastic opportunity to see a true Canadian living work of art. I really really wanted to see the Go7 live, I've probably seen the same number of shows as Guigsy, and I remember watching clips of the only other performance of this album live at the National Gallery and thinking 'Wow, music doesn't have to be about the money and cars, it can be art for art's sake and still be beautiful and moving'. That's what it's all about.

Still, a Rheos show without the Go7 is still better than anything else going these days. I'm predicting Bidini will be playing on skates at some point of the show. (If the stage is on the canal, I don't know if it is or not).

I guess I can't really describe how much I love and appreciate the Rheostatics. I'm gonna dedicate my flask to Sean Taylor and the half-show that he missed in London back in 97.

AD

yeah, AD put it better than i did... but thats basically how i feel about the album and why i wanted to see it so bad.

still very much looking forward to the rheos show, and i'd be surprised if they didnt do a few songs from group of 7... i've seen them do maybe 4 or 5 at various shows, but never with don kerr on cello... hmmm... if hearn is out, i wonder if kerr is out, too? it'd be great if he still played anyways, and brought the cello out here and there... you know, really, all i want is to hear the 2nd song off that album, live, once in my life. it absolutely kills me everytime i hear it, and on a personal level, its got some weight behind it for me.

just noticed the time... should be rollin' into ottawa in about 24 hours exactly!

guigsy = biggest fu©king dumbass ever.

so i went to pick up the rental, and the dude behind the counter noticed that my license expired 7 months ago. so, as it stands now, i have no way up there. there's a ministry of transportation office down the street from my apartment, and it opens at 9am... hopefully i can get it all sorted out and still make it up... i dunno... im pissed off at myself... im packin a bowl and putting on some white zombie.

::

if I didn't have court monday morning I'd already be up there gettin ready to rock it at JSB tonight and ready to keep rockin it straight through until sunday

what an amazing weekend of music, have a blast (JSB>Rheos>BurtNeilson! damn!)

(get yo sh!t together Guigs! good luck man, make sure you get up early)