Jambands.ca

Should Pot Be Legal? | 12.03.05 Symposium | T-dot

Large Marge

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

February 12, 2005 | Ontario Science Centre

link

Do you think an elderly person with glaucoma should be in prison for using pot? :: Should terrorists profit from the drug trade? :o Can smoking marijuana make you dumb? :: Are there other uses for marijuana? ::

Join us for a compelling public forum on the issue of marijuana legalization. Admission is free with your ticket to the Science Centre. Expert panellists will discuss the medicinal use of cannabis, its social implications and the controversy surrounding the plant. A question and answer period will follow where lively public debate and discussion with the panellists are encouraged.

Panel Members:

• Patricia Bégin, Research and Policy, Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse

• Harold Kalant, Faculty of Pharmacology, University of Toronto

• Eugene Oscapella, Barrister and Solicitor, Canadian Foundation for Drug Policy

• Jack Uetrecht, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto

Moderator: Stephen Rivers, Dept. of Psychiatry, Hospital for Sick Children

The last thing we need is a bunch of dipshit little kids running the streets waving reefer everywhere. Don't legalize it but decriminalize it once and for all. And no, old people should not be put in prison for using pot. They should be euthanized before it gets that far.

Definetely shouldbe decriminalized legalization would be terrible, it would be all governement regulated, there would be a maximum thc content,which if you've seen any goverment medical pot, would be very low almost non existant!

So decriminalization is the way to go for sure, no need for criminal records for casual smoking, but i dont agree with driving while on it, there will definetley be rules on that when the time comes for whatever the government plan to do.

I wonder why there are no pro medicinal marijuana users or suporters on the list of speakers

Do you know there aren't for sure, or is that just an assumption? It sure won't be much of a discussion if that's the case. I thought that UofT prof was pro, no? I bet that Eugene fellow is as well, what with his court system all buggered up with stoners.

Cheers!

hey, sorry marge,

i spoke to some people and found out that one one the speakers is actually pro marijuana

i beleave it was Eugene Oscapella, Barrister and Solicitor, Canadian Foundation for Drug Policy.

A bunch of people from THC are all heading down together, with a few medical users, as well as our frined Steve Baccon. I think were going to go down early and smoke a few joints and check out the exibits before the symopsium. if anyone wants to hook up with us and come down let me know. we should have extra room for passangers from around the store area

Legalisation is the only way to go. If the gov't gets involved they'll have to conform to underground standards or the underground will still exist.

If they decriminalise it will be much easier to hassle casual smokers with a fine than it is arresting them and sending them through the system so they can be let free.

supporting decriminalization dosn't neccesarily mean supporting the current gov't doctrine outlining decrim w/ fine. i support decriminalization without fines. that being said i would prefer the current dog eared american cowtowing policy to legalizing it. i just don't think we need them involved at all.

The real problem with marijuana would have to be the criminal element (ahem...). Decriminalisation does not fix this. Legalizing herb would be both benficial to the public coffers (new tax revenue) and would help to reduce the profits of organized criminal enterprises. There is no need to worry about kids doing it, because we can have age restrictions such as with tobacco and liquor. Driving under the influence is already illegal and so would not require new legislation -- and I must say that I am not like Steve, I get real lazy if I drive high (although being off the pot has fixed that).

Legalize it!

decrim would reduce the profits of organized criminal enterprises because thier margins would drop through the toilet. Many people who smoke don't grow because of the risks involved...this would change with decriminalization because the risk would be gone. These organized criminal enterprises would likely concentrate on their other um...interests where the competition wouldn't kill thier prices...they like monopolies and the current structure suits them just fine.

frankly i'm not interested in giving the gov't more tax revenue streams as they misuse it.

kids do it anyway...did you ever have a drink before you reached the age of majority?

better off with open dialogue than legislation.

Theres good points for both sides, legalization,and decriminalization. I still think legalization would not be as great as alot of people think, no fines and whatnot would be cool, but the grade of the pot would definetley not be as potent, and there would be caps on how high thc levels could be, for sure, so The legalization, will not stop the underground dealers and suppliers, they'll still be growing pot, with high thc, well above what would be the set ammount if the government gets their hands on it, And the price for the good underground pot, would skyrocket, and that would be just sh!tty for anyone who likes some good strong pot..... i mean if your gonna smoke it.....Who wants to smoke Scwagg? If they're gonna do anything they should decriminalize first with no fines, see how that goes, and go from there, but guaranteed once the government regulates canadian pot, it'll all go to sh!t and we'll be overun by SCHWAG!

: )