Jambands.ca

Office workers enter...

TomFoolery

Do you ever notice the clock on your computer at 4:20 and wonder wtf you're doing working in an office in front of a computer?

The whole 4:20 thing is pretty arbitrary really, but it just happens to be the thing that triggers me onto that line of though.

My 4:20 thought of the day...

Do you ever notice the clock on your computer at 4:20 and wonder wtf you're doing working in an office in front of a computer?

Every day from Monday to Friday... On the plus side it means there is only 40 minutes till I can go. But man that's the longest 40 minutes ever...

I gotta get some new skills and get out of the office.

Every minute of the freakin' day gives me that feeling!

Getting out of bed in the morning makes me want to cry...

BUT - let that feeling be your motivator to make changes in your life. I'm working on it and it feels great. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and am a step closer, everyday, to being successfully self-employed.

Keep your chins up!

Every minute of the freakin' day gives me that feeling!

Getting out of bed in the morning makes me want to cry...

BUT - let that feeling be your motivator to make changes in your life. I'm working on it and it feels great. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and am a step closer, everyday, to being successfully self-employed.

Keep your chins up!

well that about says it. most of the guys in harvard mouse and families are seriously contemplating how we could escape to the interior of bc and pool our resources and actually dictate the conditions of our own labour :)

Lucky me gets to ditch out at 4! Yay! So I usually find myself cruising up the 400 extension at 4:20, foot getting a little heavier, thinking about what an awesome environment I get to come home to. :) Coincidentally though, I almost always look at the clock at 4:20 and 4:32. It was starting to get a little freaky. I mentioned this to my Mom and she said that 4:32 makes sense because that was the time I was born. As for the 4:20, she just kinda rolled her eyes. Hahaha!

I find that a very active imagination helps you get through the day... the trick is to stare at your computer screen with a frowning look of concern... and hit the keyboard every once in a while... but actually your mind can be way off thinking, planning, fantasizing about other things.. but to anybody walking by.. you look like you are working on a mind-bender of a problem.

my goal for this beautiful Friday....

I find that a very active imagination helps you get through the day... the trick is to stare at your computer screen with a frowning look of concern... and hit the keyboard every once in a while... but actually your mind can be way off thinking, planning, fantasizing about other things.. but to anybody walking by.. you look like you are working on a mind-bender of a problem.

Thanks Pann!

Guest Low Roller

Good news everybody! I'm jumping back into the office world!

That's right. After a glorious six month hiatus I have accepted a Project Manager job for a company in the UK that designs, among other things, flight simulators for the U.S., Canadian, and British military. I'll be directly responsible for the costing, execution, impact reporting, and delivering of million dollar projects.

So I guess it's back to the 9 to 5 routine for me! Expect the number of bitter, disenfranchised posts on this forum to dramatically increase and with any luck, you will all be privy to another installment of 'Mandatory Fun Day'.

Congratulations (I think) on achieving the status of gainfully employed. Do you have to wear a suit?

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. You might want to check with Revenue Canada to see what your tax situation will be. I doubt your UK income will be taxable by RC, but any investments you might still have in Canada (bank accounts, CSBs, etc.) could still come under their purview.

Guest Low Roller
Congratulations (I think) on achieving the status of gainfully employed. Do you have to wear a suit?

Thanks and yup! Everyday I get to wear a suit with a pretty tie. In the UK, class segregation is part of their culture, so if you are management, it is expected (by everyone) that you dress appropriately.

P.S. You might want to check with Revenue Canada to see what your tax situation will be. I doubt your UK income will be taxable by RC, but any investments you might still have in Canada (bank accounts, CSBs, etc.) could still come under their purview.

Yeah, I'm on that. My accountant is doing my taxes next week, and I've asked her to look into that for me. Canada and the UK have a working agreement in place to avoid double-taxing people, but my Canadian RRSPs will cause a problem.

Guest Low Roller
Congrats Low Roller. Office work stinks but I'm sure you must be relieved to have found something to pay for all the pricy European goods.

Sounds like it's not too bad of a gig. Good on ya!

Thanks Sharon! It's gonna be good being the boss.

Thanks and yup! Everyday I get to wear a suit with a pretty tie. In the UK' date=' class segregation is part of their culture, so if you are management, it is expected (by everyone) that you dress appropriately.

[/quote']

Yeah, I remember doing a two-week stint in the company office in Wales in January, 1995, as a favour to a colleague who needed some help. I was told by him, "Make sure you show up wearing a suit, otherwise they'll think you're delivering something..."

And you're right about the ties: that's the one area where UK office males get to display some fashion flair, even to the point of being gaudy.

Aloha,

Brad

Some personal office jokes can help too. I have a great time stealing the pens from the office next to me. He always goes to the supply room gets a pen... then when he is away from his office, I steal his pen and empty his stapler.

The cursing provides hours of giggles.

Silly office humour.