Jambands.ca

TRAILER PARK BOYS discussion thread

StoneMtn

There is a female character on Little Britain named Bubbles Devere. There is another character named Andy who sort of looks like the TPB Bubbles.

Little Britain the TV show started in Feb of 2003 and was based on a radio show.

The TPB started in April of 2001.

Not sure if they used the Little Britain radio show as inspiration.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is earl is a great show...it had some so-so later episodes, but the season opener was awesome. I dont recall ever seeing jason lee doing sitcoms...i believe there is good reason for doing this show, its very very funny.

little britan is hit or miss...sometimes the english humor is too thick and non applicable to non-britain life. The show has its moments though. I belive its just 2 guys acting as every character in the show.

When is the tpb movie due?

Well, Little Britain has lots of very short stories, so I doubt there's much in the way of plot that overlaps. My guess is that people saw one LB character that reminded them of Bubbles, and made the great incorrect leap.

I also agree that the creators of TPB wouldn't need any inspiration for the show beyond their experiences/observations of trailer park life in NS. (Though I find some odd parallels between TPB's set of characters and those of M*A*S*H.)

Aloha,

Brad

I find that having Ricky & Julian (with Bubbles like a little brother) vs. Mr. Lahey is a lot like having (a really dumbed-down) Hawkeye & Trapper (with Radar like a little brother) vs. Frank Burns. I admit the correspondence isn't perfect (and a strong female character to correspond to Hot Lips is missing from TPB).

Aloha,

Brad

I've never seen "My Name is Earl", but I've heard from an American friend that she and other Americans believe that TPB was copied exactly from some BBC show called "Little Britain". Apparently there's a very Bubbles-esque character in that show, too.

(I don't believe it's true, considering that Mike Smith was the sound tech on the TPB set, originally, when he started acting out his "Cart Boy" character during a coffee break, causing Mike Clattenburg to insist that he join the cast to do that character. Eventually Cart Boy's cat's name, "Bubbles", became the name for the character himself.)

Anyway, has anyone ever seen "Little Britain" or heard that people claim TPB is a ripoff thereof?

Little Britain is quite hilarious. I've only seen about 3 episodes. I think there are only 3 actors and they do a ton of different characters that are remarkably different. There is no Bubbles on that show. Just a guy with really thick glasses that fakes being a parapalegic to his friend and when his friend turns his back, the thick-glasses guy does some outragously abled-person action. It's pretty funny.

I find that having Ricky & Julian (with Bubbles like a little brother) vs. Mr. Lahey is a lot like having (a really dumbed-down) Hawkeye & Trapper (with Radar like a little brother) vs. Frank Burns. I admit the correspondence isn't perfect (and a strong female character to correspond to Hot Lips is missing from TPB).

Aloha,

Brad

I thought I read about that somewhere ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I missed the second half of tonight's episode.

I believe they re-play the new episode later in the week; I think on Wednesdays. Is that correct? Can I see tonight's new episode again this Wednesday?

(Is it a different night that they re-show it? Alternatively, am I making this up, and I don't actually get to see it again until it comes back as a re-run many months from now?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So, who else saw the movie on opening night, last night? Lassie and I went, and it was HILARIOUS!

"Ricky, you'd better watch it in my courtroom. Do you want to spend another week in jail?"

"Another week, you mean it Your Majesty? Lucy, Trinity, can I; just one week?"

"Your Majesty, fuck this courtroom, fuck you, fuck me, fuck...."

Heh, I saw the movie on opening night too. I've been watching the show since season one and all in all it was a fun movie. That bit you quoted was a funny scene. So was the bit at the begining where Ricky was thrown _out_ of jail. :)

I'm curious to see how well it does in the US. Last I heard they were still looking for a distributer.