Jambands.ca

Bass Basics

Snail

I've just bought my first bass. Any recommondations for a good self-teaching manual (or website for that matter). I've been play guitar for 20+ years so I have a reasonable understanding of the instrument and I even played bass in a band for a while. What I'm looking for is some good bass rudiments particularily right hand finger stuff since that seems to be the area where I have the most trouble after being primarily a flat-picker on guitar.???

hey hey!

Good for you - the most important thing about going from guitar to bass is a change of mindset. You are no longer up in the captain's chair, now... you work in the hot n' sweaty engine room. You'll learn to love it ;)

For right hand technique, just keep at it. Try resting your thumb on the humbucker and adjusting your strap for minimum bend in your wrist.

Practice alternating fingers, muting strings, etc with your first two fingers on your right hand. Work some arpeggios and scales crossing multiple strings. Most important thing is practice (or as they say in Japan: renshu, renshu)

Keep your two fingers moving like a walking human being. Try to cop as many basslines as you can by ear from records. And try not to venture above the 7th fret too often ;) It'll just piss your bandmates off. lol

I'll give you a lesson if you stop by Victoria BC!

Just play along with your favorite bands, go to www.harmony-central.com and find some tabs.

unless your looking for actual lesson's, theres a good music book store on merivale, rigth at the corner with meadowlands. They have tons of books on all sorts of subjects. they'd definately have something.

... also, listen to music than makes your head bop up and down (preferably funk)... your not a real bassist until you can play with the head bop.

Actually, I am looking for the same kind of thing right now... maybe taking some lessons too. Want to get to the next level.

you could try 'bass guitar for dummies'...it comes with a cd and gives examples of different styles of bass.

also, try the magazines with CDs...i forget what the one was with the various styles of funk and reggae...

have fun learning your instrument. i love bass.

What I can recommend is listening to a lot of Motown. I suggest you listen to James Jamerson's innovative basslines copy them and absorb his technique as much as possible. Many of the bass figuers and techniques used in popular music today spring directly from his playing.

Remeber people don't dance without the bass. Bass is to be felt more than heard.

Specifically listen to Stevie Wonder's "I was made to love her" and Eddie Kendrick's "Girl you need a change of mind". Excellent bassline from the master.

What I can recommend is listening to a lot of Motown. I suggest you listen to James Jamerson's innovative basslines copy them and absorb his technique as much as possible. Many of the bass figuers and techniques used in popular music today spring directly from his playing.

I came across some James Jamerson's transcript on Bass Player magazines website. Very funky stuff. I've never been a real fan of Mowtown music but there seems to be a lot to be learned there. Some real interesting stuff about taking the main groove and then sliding it ahead or behind a 16th note for a couple of bars. Definately not your typical speed metal root note pounding.

Those piano lessons as a kid have left me with the ability to read the bass clef which I'd completely forgotten about...a little rusty but it will come ;)

Ain't it the truth. I remember Phil Lesh giving a lot of concrete foundations a good run for their money.

I have some good memories of Phil somehow find the resonance frequency of an entire stadium and getting the place to sound like a giant wine glass that someone was doing that trick with the finger circling the rim except at 20Hz :) Powerful stuff.....

I'd say that making a serious effort to understand what the full chords are that are being played by the guitar and keys player is most beneficial.

It's easy to fall into the trap of root noting your way through tunes.

You're really playin when you can choose to introduce the minor 3rds, majors 3rds, 4s, 6s, flat 7s and major sevens as passing notes.

That being said the root and 5 are your best friends so don't be running with the other notes all the time this too will piss off the chord kids.

I am recently enjoying interacting with a sax player and really opening up the melodic capabilities of the instrument.

Big ups to bassies indeed.....2 prominent(sp?) bass posts in one week....niiice.

Deeps

hey Deeps, nice post.

I guess the real goods is when you understand what key a song (or section) is in. Then you know all the passing tones that'll work with the changes.

Of course, there's also those (usually the best sounding) passing tones that have nothing to do with the scale you're in.

That's what funk is all about eh? Flat 2s, flat 5s... mmm so tasty!

so you're talking about harmony but another thing to understand is FIT. sure it's a good idea to play low a lot of the time, but if the guitar or keys are playing low on their range, THAT's when it's often a good idea to play higher notes. when you know how your tones sit together and where to place your harmony rather than what harmony to place then you've got a bit mroe mastery of the arrangement/band dynamics.

know when to pluck by the bridge and when to thump it down fat at the neck...

...muted notes...

...hammer on chickin picks...

i'm not a huge wanker but when i pull off a double thumb i know i'm on a roll.