Jambands.ca

5 biggest influences these days?

dJEd

who or what are the five biggest influences on you? music, life, work, anything.

all of mine are musical of course

-John McLaughlin - spirituality belongs with music

-Elliott Smith - sad and lonely, pure emotion

-Miles Davis - turned jazz on its head whenever he got bored

-Ben Gibbard - awesome way with words and great lyrics

-various experimental instrumental groups ie. godspeed, explosions in the sky, DMST, the first BSS album, tortoise....

I'll stick with current music influences and what music currently distracts me:

My Morning Jacket

Playing slide and finger-picked blues with open tunings on my resonator guitar.

Garage/Delta Blues ala The White Stripes and The Kills

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - best rock & roll band in the world.

Getting my guitar chops up for the July 1st bash in Ottawa, and perhaps composing a song for the occassion, tentatively called " 40 Main Blues ".

Edited by Guest

MMJ are the bomb!!!! Can't wait for the next chance to see them.

I want a resonator but I can't afford the $2000 the good ones retail for. Changing tunings always pissed me off too much so I learned to play slide in standard tuning (that and G as its easiest to tune into and out of)

I'm going to drop $1000 on a Carter Starter pedal steel and teach myself.

Yeah, I agree that Derek is the sh1t. I'm convinced that there are only a handful of slide players out there that are even in the same universe as his playing. His youth gave him the gimmick edge early, but obviously the guys skills are somewhat unparalleled. I think that he's taken slide playing to the next level and it will be some time before another comes along and pushes it further.

My theory - Duane --pushes it where no one took it before - Derek -- pushes it further

Yeah, I agree that Derek is the sh1t. I'm convinced that there are only a handful of slide players out there that are even in the same universe as his playing. His youth gave him the gimmick edge early, but obviously the guys skills are somewhat unparalleled. I think that he's taken slide playing to the next level and it will be some time before another comes along and pushes it further.

My theory - Duane --pushes it where no one took it before - Derek -- pushes it further

I don't know about that.

Derek plays a style few have attempted, but that doesn't make him better than Ry Cooder, Warren Haynes, Roy Rogers, Robert Johnson, Johnny Winter, Hound Dog Taylor, Earl Hooker, Elvin Bishop, Mick Taylor, Son House, Kevin Breit, Sonny Landreth, Rory Gallagher, John Hammond Jr., and many more.

I think Derek is the incarnation of Duane to some extent. Trucks picks-up where Duane left off. Duane was already experimenting with different styles other than blues well before he died. Duane was the biggest influence on young Derek in terms of slide-guitar. Hell, Derek even plays an original Duane Allman coricidin slide.

What Derek brings to slide is a jazz/world music mentality and bless him for that. He had a jazz mentality at birth where most come to jazz at a older age.

I'll say this about Derek: He remains one of the most innovative young guitarists on the planet.

Edited by Guest

First off, I agree that Dereks style isn't in the same realm of a lot of the players you listed. But I've seen Sonny Landreth several times, Hound Dog is one of my heros, ditto Haynes and Cooder, and none of them are in his league as far as technique and sound. Derek plays licks none of those guys could have ever envisioned themselves. Sure Derek wouldn't even be able to without their originality as a template, but as far as technique on slide guitar, none of those guys are near his ability. Yes Cooder is amazing, but Cooder simply couldn't play some of Dereks lines. Most of the blues guys you listed can't play more than a few tired, well worn Elmore James (who you left off that list smarty pants) licks. The only guy there that I've seen who plays slide with abadon the same way is John Hammond jr. But again, a delta style, not an electric style that lends itself to faster, leaner more aggresive lines and tones. Derek passed Warran years ago on the slide. Warran trots out the same tired lines, Derek has his share of well used lines, but at least his jazz influence takes it to more developed interesting places. When asked who Dereks biggest influences are, I've never once heard him mention Warran as far as slide goes. Those he does mention often are Sun Ra, Coltrane, and Duane.

I've spent a great deal of my life following slide players and I consider myself a conniseur. I have never come across someone who plays electric slide guitar as well, and I'd be happy to debate that.

My favorite thing about Derek is that he has learned John Coltrane licks on slide. THAT is mind-boggling as far as I am concerned.

Personally, no one touches me with their slide playing like Derek does.

As far as influences go, Sam Bush is really pushing the envelope in my world right now, even though I will NEVER sound like him. Mike Gordon's bass playing (go figure, coming from this Leshhead) has certainly affected mine, even though I will NEVER sound like him either.

The biggest single influence in my playing has always been my brother Bouche. I love him for that alone.

Edited by Guest

Yes Cooder is amazing, but Cooder simply couldn't play some of Dereks lines. Most of the blues guys you listed can't play more than a few tired, well worn Elmore James (who you left off that list smarty pants) licks.

I've spent a great deal of my life following slide players and I consider myself a conniseur. I have never come across someone who plays electric slide guitar as well, and I'd be happy to debate that.

Derek is one of my favourite slide players. I've actually seen his band three times and met Derek three times as well. I have read an older interview with Derek did with Guitar Player and he states his heroes, and it was clear that Haynes is one of them. In the standard style, a younger Trucks was influenced by both Haynes and Jimmy Herring, not to mention Dickey Betts - amongst dozens of others not including horn, sitar and many other kinds of musicians.

Derek is by no means a perfect slide player. He repeats licks and phrases when he solos too - one lick he uses constantly to the point of predictibility - and I hate admitting this for the first time EVER since I love the kid... but it has always bothered me. Granted, it's hard for me to write examples, but I will say that he doesn't rely on that lick as much anymore - it was more common a few years ago.

Overall, I agree with you to some extent, but I think you sell Ry Cooder and Landreth etc... short too. You don't think Cooder could teach Derek anything? Cooder could cop Trucks licks and vice versa. Technicians of an instrument can all do that - and I know you aren't taking about copping per say, but imagination and ability.

Was Jerry Garcia less a guitarist than Wes Montgomery? Their styles, technique, imagination, lyricism and musical genres were totally different, yet both are masters. I think the same can apply to third generation slide players like Cooder and Allman vs Trucks.

One advantage that Trucks has going for him that the above players do not is constant evolution. Because he was so young and has had so many differing influences fueling his active mind, Derek is constantly morphing as a player.

In a way, Derek is a product of the late 20th, early 21st Century in that he has had the luxury of having at his disposal: easy access to his uncle Butch's band and their legacy; a diverse selection of CDs and DVDs; computers and the internet; high tech recording devices; cable TV etc... and can use these devices accordingly. I'm almost scared to see where this kid will be at musically in 10 years. By that point he may need to slap a bucket on his head.

I'll state it again: Derek Trucks is one of the best and most innovative young guitarists on the planet and when all is said and done, will be revered as the man who trancended his chosen instrument - and this is not hyperbole.

Wait a minute, I think you just convinced me.

By the way, I like Elmore James a lot, plus Robert Nighthawk. Jeff Beck is an underrated slide player ( and greatest living lead rock guitarist IMO ). Jimmy Page is serviceable at best on slide.

Edited by Guest

I haven't seen or listened to many slide guitar players, but the thought of seeing Derek Trucks play with ABB in Toronto this summer certainly brings a huge smile to my face. I've seen him a few times with his band and a few time with ABB, and he always impresses me with his humble stage presence, awesome guitar tone, and originality.

I had my head blown wide open by Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey at the Come Together Fest. I'm not sure how they've influenced me yet, but they certainly have me looking at music and musicianship in a different way.

Peace, Mark

Landreth didn't particularly impress me. He had amazing technique but I didn't think his lead lines were all that interesting. His rhythm slide playing was great though. As for Cooder, I'm not so sure he would be able to duplicate some of Dereks more intricate, developed licks. Maybe its just a matter of 2 fairly different styles. Nighthawks cool. Not a huge Beck fan....

First time I saw the Derek Trucks Band was at the Comfort Zone in TO several years ago. Since then I've seen him at Higher Ground, the Phoenix, 9:30 Club in DC, and others.

I too have had the good fortune of meeting Derek on several occations and we chatted about his rig and set up. Very friendly, down to earth guy.

Cliff Burton - original Metallica bassist. No clue which Jeff.

I ain't gonna talk about slide. I gave up on that ages ago after I discovered Ry Cooder.

Singers, anyone? Lowell George has been doing it for me, lately.

Guitar?

Jerry Garcia

Bruce Cockburn

Doc Watson

Adrian Belew

Not like I like cutting that short at five; makes it a bit of a Survivor game!

And not like I can quite wrap my head (or fingers) around the stuff these guys do, either.

And I'm gonna throw in Shiv Kumar Sharma (santoor), just because. Wow.

This topic is a bit hard to reply to considering that everything around you effects you in some way therfor influences you.

I am a book worm so i've always felt that Authors are more of an influence for me rather then musically, like most of you.Books that have a permenant spot in the library: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time, Lady Oracle, See Jane Run, Dead Zone, LOTR, Various Anne Rice, Various Terry Broos, Various R.A. Salvatore and who can forget Judy Blume? etc etc etc..:)

I can honestly say I waste too many hours online as well. I mean where else can I sit on my ass, dl great music, talk to all my pals, and have access to virtually any informatin I may need? This place is great. Although it does distract me to often from household chores and other hobbies. Damn You Internet!!!

Another influence I can't forget to mention would be djed. Without him my world wouldn't be as bright. He makes me smile so wide, laugh straight out my belly, and loves me like no other can. Thanks bud.

This post is already pretty long, so i'll end it here. I could probably go one for hours about positive as well as negative influences...

Edited by Guest