Jambands.ca

Smelly Birks? - Desmellification Tips Please

MarcO

I say try tea tree oil, that stuff works for everything :D

Sarah

yep, it sure does. i used to clean my dreads with it, i still clean my house with it, it helps to get rid of zits and it makes your shoes smell better. and it's about $8-$12 for 30 ml. but it goes a long, long way.

Actually, tea tree oil is toxic. :P But most people are unaware of this fact. NEVER take it internally. Stick with the straight up potato juice there MarcO.

Is there a Zehr's or A&P in your neck of the woods? Most big grocery stores will carry it in their natural health section.

You called me an ambulance chaser. For that I'll have to provide real advice.

If the soles are really stinky you can layer both salt and baking soda over top for a night, then brush off with a stiff brush in the morning. It sounds like it would do nothing but it actually does work, at least for the short-term.

Don't leave it on any longer than 24 hours as the salt may dry it too much.

Good topic. I've never had problems with stinky shoes before. I don't know why but my Teva's and Doc's have been fine for years. However, last year I picked up a set of Keen sandals. They are the most comforatble and supportive sandlas (maybe even shoes for that matter) that I have ever had. However, all of a sudden, after weeks of use, the started stinking and I cannot get them to stop. People told me to dry them in the sun, it didn't work. People said wash them, it didn't work. Both solutions work until I wear them for about a half hour and then they stink. And I'm not talking about "don't put your nose in them" stink, I'm talking about "clear out a room or a dance area at a festival" kind of stink. I'm really upset about it.

Aside: This year I bought a set of Birks to replace them. They don't stink but honestly I think they are REALLY unconfortable and potentially have cause some nerve damage in my feet. I know everyone says they're AWESOME but I'm not sure I'll ever wear them again. It may have to do with having REALLY high arches but I don't know.

I just asked about this in my local camping store (Adventure Attic in Westdale Village) and they told me to try Mirazyme. Apparently it's used to wash wet-suits and other diving/sports equipment. I'm not sure if it would have a negative effect on leather but they insisted it would work like a charm.

I just asked about this in my local camping store (Adventure Attic in Westdale Village) and they told me to try Mirazyme. Apparently it's used to wash wet-suits and other diving/sports equipment. I'm not sure if it would have a negative effect on leather but they insisted it would work like a charm.

Sure, it gets the smell out then your feet fall. off.