Jambands.ca

Smelly Birks? - Desmellification Tips Please

MarcO

Well, I loves me my Birkenstocks but they are rank. I smell like a String Cheese Incident show.

Anybody found a good way to de-smellify (I made that up, thank you) Birkenstocks?

any advice would be appreciated. I really don't have extra $$$ to just replace them, plus they are super comfy!

Desmellification NOW!

Edited by Guest

hehe good thread MarcO!

Mine are smelling fine right now, but the season is still early! In about a week or so I should have a nice stench built up on mine as well.

I wonder if giving them a good scrub with anti bacterial dish soap would help... I predict it would get them smelling nice for a few days, but the smell will come back.

I think the word you want is "deodourize".

Have you tried the obvious, like starting with a good washing (incl. scrubbing with a brush) in hot, soapy water (and/or laundry detergent)?

I've also heard that leaving a sheet of Bounce fabric softener in each shoe when you're not wearing them can help, but that's more of a maintenance thing than a corrective thing.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm in the same situation myself, there is something in Birks than sucks in all the smell from miles around and deposits it somewhere in the buckles I bleieve. Seriously though I'm gonna take care of the smell this weekend, by getting a new pair, there is nothing that I have come across to lose that smell...

Wash em in a Mix of baking Soda ,Vinegar and Water.... then just rinse em a bit in some water with a bit of dish soap or better eyt laundrey detergent!!

This werks Oh soo well...No joke.I';ve had my latest birks for almost 3 year snow and they still be smellin Fine!!

Also washing ur feet dailey helps Even more ;)

toss them in the freezer for an evening...it's supposed to kill all the bacteria that causes odour.

annnnnnnnnnnd the two most sacred words that can be spoken about foot wear.....

GOLD BOND!!!

I recommend the yellow flavour, extra strength...and if you're feeling randy toss a handful on the ol' boys...makes it feel like your junk is smoking 2 packs of menthols! :) :) :)

Dunnit depend on the dog, and what you fed him that day?

I mean, some people would pay top dollar for dog sh!t derived from, say, Kobe beef.

ok dr evil, , you spent too much time listening to dave wadell's japan stories :)

i've found the only thing that cures smelly birks is nothing. i've washed scrubbed bleached, nothing works.

"If you're hardcore throw your shoes in the fire!"

This is a great thread marcO!

I sell something called "Sweet Snow body powder" - it's safer than baby powder, made from corn starch and other natural ingrdients. Keeps your sandles dry and smelling like honey... and it's edible! I find it works really well to prevent the smell.

Well, for a slightly cheaper alternative to buying brand new ones, you can just rip out the straps and discard the footbed and sole..take the nice leather straps and buckles down to your favourite shoe smith and let them build you a new pair with your old broken in straps...should cost around 50-60 bucks, at least thats what they charge around here. Thats half price for all you wookies on a budget.

I've never owned birkenstocks, only Naots. The nice thing about them is that the rubber sole is removable and easy to replace. I realize you have the opposite problem but if you're replacing the smellies I thought you'd like to break from the pack and buy sandals that are made on a kibbutz in Israel.

If you don't, then you are an anti-semite.