Jambands.ca

Baseball axed as Olympic event for 2012

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Finally! The organizing committee for the 2012 London summer Olympics has voted to drop baseball and softball as Olympic events in favour of either rugby, squash, golf, karate, or (get this) roller skating(!)

Good News Baseball has got to be the worst sport ever.....but of the new sports taking its place only rugby..appeals to me...it'd be great to see rugby in the olympics...golfs fun to play ...but i'de rather poke my eyes out than watch it

It's too bad that softball got axed too. Canada fields two world-class teams in that sport and are medal threats. But hey, at least we're ranked 12th in rugby ( but the rugby that will be in the Olympics is a bastardized Sevens brand ).

One of the main reasons why baseball got axed is that the pros fucked everything up ( go figure ) by not releasing players.

Baseball is a great summer sport, unless you suffer from ADD.

But hey, at least we're ranked 12th in rugby ( but the rugby that will be in the Olympics is a bastardized Sevens brand ).

Canada poses more of a threat in sevens than we do in a union match... While we may be ranked 12th in union (I'll have to take your word on that, I haven't been keeping track recently) Canada is still WELL behind the top tier teams in the world... At least at sevens we'll be able to compete...

Canada is actually ranked 13th.

The one pathetic thing about rugby is that there is a huge drop-off in talent when comparing teams. There is no freaking way Canada will ever beat New Zealand or England. In fact, the 10th team, Fiji, are not much of a threat to beat, say Wales.

RANK COUNTRY RATING

1 (1) New Zealand 90.90

2 (2) Australia 88.86

3 (3) South Africa 86.04

4 (4) France 84.13

5 (5) Wales 83.08

6 (6) England 82.81

7 (7) Ireland 82.14

8 (8) Argentina 75.66

9 (9) Scotland 74.20

10 (10) Fiji 74.17

11 (11) Italy 72.78

12 (12) Samoa 70.13

13 (13) Canada 68.42

14 (14) USA 68.31

15 (15) Uruguay 67.11

16 (16) Japan 65.93

17 (17) Portugal 65.57

18 (18) Romania 65.48

19 (19) Georgia 63.38

20 (20) Tonga 62.72

I'd like to see an Olympics with rugby, golf and baseball included. Equestrian doesn't really do it for me... or for anyone I know for that matter. It's a rich-man's sport. The modern day pentatholon should go too ( which is the rumour ).

Those who dont like baseball just dont appreciate the intricicies of the game. Which explains how someone could like rugby more, as it has no intricicies. Am I spelling intricicies right? Probably not.

Spoken like a truely ignorant person to the game of rugby... [color:purple]You're right, there are no intricises (sp?) [color:purple]to the game of rugby... Ridiculous...

(For the record, I've played both at a fairly serious level, and rugby is a far more advanced game than baseball...)

Del did sports???? I'm... I'm... lost for words.

Not only did I "do sports", I "did sports" for some really good teams, including two trips to OFSAA (sp?) for rugby, 1 trip to the finals of the BC rugby championships, 1 trip to the BC football provincial championships, and several "tours of duty" for all-star baseball teams... Not to mention I played for my high school basketball team, several years of high school football in Ontario and I'm not a bad tennis player...

Ballroom Dancing is not an Olympic sport.

I heard on the radio one of the major considerations for dropping baseball was to make hosting the games a little cheaper for the host city; no baseball diamond to build.

That would make it seem to me that golf has little chance of making it in.

Also, this doesn't necessarily effect the following Olympics. I didn't really get it, but the CBC dude said that baseball and softball were dropped from the 2012 London Olympics, but that doesn't mean they won't be part of the 2016 and subsequent Olympics. I'm not really sure what that was all aboot though.