Jambands.ca

Lose Yer Shoes or MusiChaos

Paan

I hate when this happens. Two festivals I want to go to on the same weekend.

I went to each of these for my first time last year, and loved them both.

I have heard lots of people discussing Lose Yer Shoes... anybody else been to or planning on going to MusiChaos?

I can't decide at this point, and unfortunately, my cloning-combobulator will not be quite ready for that weekend.... stupid Americans are blocking my supply of uranium.

It's so odd that I actually found out about Lose Your Shoes yesterday. I found it on a link on the CTMF website. What makes me angry is that I lived about 20 minutes from Kearney for about 5 years of my life and had NEVER even heard about Lose Your Shoes. I really want to go. I mean I can go see awsome music, dance the night away, then go back to my moms in Huntsville and have a good breakfast and a SHOWER!! Now I just have to wait for Djed to make up his mind..:)

I am not sure what the line-up is for MusiChaos. I liked it because it was a little different from the others. It's on an old from in Heathcote, and you can see rolling hills for miles, and Georgian Bay, gorgeous spot. You bring two bags of vegetables to get it, and they cook vegetarian for you all weekend.

It was a real mix last year, a guy with an upright doing poetry, rock, funk, Friends of Hefner, Burtman played, and they had a rave out back (not very well attended). They also have work shops on poetry, envronment, etc. I guess they didn't like it too much when I fired-up my rack of ribs. :)

But I spent much of my time just laying on the hill with a glass of wine soaking in the landscape and chatting with some stellar people.

It is a very small festival, very relaxing if you want it to be. We sat around a file on the top of the hill and watched the sun rise too... breath taking.

I will try to find a website for it, but they are very low-key, low tech.

met the guy who runs Lose Your Shoes at the Fat Cats last weekend, kind of a Wavy Gravy type fella

been meaning to get out to it for a few years now, it just tends to fall at the point of the summer I usually reach mental and physical exhaustion... been takin 'er ease this summer though ;-)

I lived about 20 minutes from Kearney for about 5 years of my life and had NEVER even heard about Lose Your Shoes.

Don't worry ReDD, this is the 1st year that Lose Yer Shoes has been at Granite Ridge in Kearney. It was in Bracebridge for a number of years, and then in Severn (outside of Orillia). However, there were some crazy May 2-4 parties in Kearney back in the day. It'd be pretty crazy if we were at any of those together. :P Ya never know, 'til a small world after all.

That would be pretty funny Kaidy :laugh: I have spent many many sleepless nights in that little town!! If we both go to Lose Your Shoes we'll have to keep an eye out for each other :)

For sure!!! :D That'd be awesome.

Basher, you will lose yer shoes for sure. I think I have every year I've gone. :blush:

I'm so glad to have heard that Diesel Dog will be in the lineup. I think our older daughter's going to be beside herself when she hears that she'll actually get a chance to dance to them in person; I also look forward to introducing her to the good folks here, who she keeps hearing so much about.

Bit of an aside here, just found the Lose Yer Shoes Website, get a load of this:

As band leader and folk singer, Jerry Garcia inspired many. His musical sensitivity could be felt by those who attended Grateful Dead concerts and listened to his recorded works. His sense of exploration in the music gave us all a clue about how to live, play and work. Jerry was a man of community, which his 30 years with the Grateful Dead attest to. He always played to uplift the band, not to show off his incredible skill. The skill showed itself off as Jerry allowed the music to flow through him. He presented songs of the past, digging up old skeletons and giving them new life, while composing his own marvelous works with traditional cadences and fresh hooks. As he grew older, his voice matured to the point where it would provide the high point of many a G.D. show.

When he died 5 years ago, the sense of loss could be felt across the world and services were held everywhere in his honour. Now, his legacy continues as his former bandmates continue to tour the continent, as jam bands form daily, inspired by his improvisational style, as fans listen to bootleg tapes which were all recorded with the permission of the band. Jerry Garcia will not be forgotten, by this generation or the next. His magic is well preserved in digital recordings and in our hearts. For all you gave us, thanks Jerry! Fare thee well!

Edit to say: I'm not trying to hate on Jerry. I just think it's funny how it builds from Jerry "inspiring man" to "Fare thee well, oh sweet saviour messiah, riding off into the white light on your shining white stallion!"

Edited by Guest
I ain't tryin to hate on Jerry none t'all

KM...so glad you're coming this year!

Do you remember the LYS King Brian spent almost the entire weekend hula hooping - LYS 2001, and it was actually in Kearney that year too(I have pics...the only way I remember these daze).

Are you serious??? I've been to a LYS at Kearney? I need to get off the gin.

okay folks -- you've all read it -- no renegs KM. Real mom is gonna get messsssaaaayyyyyy!

actually I don't need any excuse for wild behaviour, though the encouragment of peeps like KM and Marsha never hurt! (hahaha)

Really looking forward to the fun and hope lots more folks plan on bringnig their wee ones. Al Fonse -- will you guys be bringing Liam?

Well, due to popular demand, looks like I'm a gonna be losin my shoes. And the family might be joining me. Dang that's alot of missing shoes.

I asked the MusiChaos people to change their festival date, but I don't think its going to happen... dang, I'm gonna miss that one.

Gonna be fun!