Jambands.ca

Ottawa's restaurant scene

M.O.B.E

Festival Japan (149 Kent Street) is pretty good; I went there once with Low_Roller and dave-O, who (IIRC) said they liked it for the quality and portion sizes (for the money).

The Mercenary and I were not impressed with Festival Japan, except for their special rolls and soft-shelled crab cones. Perhaps it was an off night.

In Montréal, we like Shodan (downtown) and Yoko (on Jean Talon Blvd in St Leonard). I'm particularly fond of the "Romeo and Juliet" rolls at the Shodan: Deep-fried rolls with fish (tuna, IIRC) and blueberries. Yummmmmm!!!

But, being pregnant, I'm not supposed to have most sushi. I didn't know that until I was three months along, by which time we'd fulfilled several cravings for tuna sashimi. (The prohibitions are on raw fish (bacterial contamination) and several kinds of cooked fish, including fresh tuna (mercury). Moderate consumption of canned tuna is recommended for the sake of the omega-3 fatty acids. Apparently it doesn't tend to have a lot of mercury in it. It also tends to taste like salted wallboard, and I'm quite thoroughly sick of it.)

The Mercenary's appreciation of sushi is somewhat more refined than mine. He spent three months living on the stuff while he was working in Rio de Janero--apparently the sushi down there is excellent. Since then, he has been a regular at upscale sushi places here in Montréal. His favourites in Ottawa are the Seoul House and Suisha Gardens.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

hey this thread coming back up reminds me, I never reported back on our gastronomical adventures in Ottawa!

Our trip was fantastic, and with all that walking around in the clear sunshine, we were hungry!

Our meal at The Horny African was unforgettable, absolutely delicious. We ordered the vegetarian platter for two and were just stuffed by the end of it. A nice selection of spices and textures, with that unique bread they serve - I will return to this place next time we're in town! Excellent value for money also.

Works was excellent, if a bit pricy for what we got. No matter, we were on holiday! It took us about 5 hours to read the menu but I eventually settled on The Spartacat burger. You could tell the burgers were handmade and fresh. One disappointment here was the caesar salad I had on the side. For an extra $1 to my already $10 dish, I expected more than a simple salad of lettuce, dressing and cheese. No croutons, no bacon, no onions, just lettuce, dressing and (cheddar!) cheese. We had already stopped at an Irish pub in the market for french fries as a mid-day snack, otherwise I should have gotten the fries. I guess I really have to complain about the salad since it was an extra buck. I expected more. The burger was great though.

Our one disappointing meal there was, the night we arrived we ordered in some pizza from Pavarazzi's. This is gourmet pizza? Huh? The (herbed) crust was dense and heavy, the tomato sauce dull and boring, and there was nothing by means of exceptional quality of the toppings to warrant the almost $30 we spent for two small pizzas. Very, very disappointing. With no self-flaggelation intended, it reminded me of the poorer pizzas I’ve made from scratch at home (dough, sauce) – not what I expect from an award-winning restauarant! We had printed out this thread to look at once in town, and we were stuck between Pavarazzi’s and Carlos’. Upon looking deeper into the thread, we surmised that Carlos’ got gentlemonkey’s recommendation because he’s stumbled past it all tanked up one too many times looking for cheese to sop up his evening’s libations, something to fart himself to sleep with. Why we didn’t follow this reasonable line of thinking to ordering from them, I’ll rue forever.

Easily the best meal we had all weekend was at Mike and Sharon’s. No joke. They blew our freaking minds with a curried salmon and pears dish with a seafood risotto alongside. Way better than anything I’ve ever come up with, this was magnificient. And watching Mike try to set fire to crème brulees (sp.) for desert was worth the trip to Ottawa/Hull alone. I've never enjoyed that dish more than that evening! He’s got big hairy balls, that boy!

We had a wonderful trip, and came back all full and happy. Thanks again for the tips!

edit: oh yeah, we also enjoyed a lovely meal with Booche, Douglas, Davey Boy and Catphish at a pub-style restaurant in little Italy that was very nice too. Can't remember the name of the place but it was more pizza and a great salad. The beer was nice and wet too, just how I like it! It was a pleasure to meet Dave and Crystal that night and I do hope we cross paths again!

Edited by Guest

I just don't buy caesar salads in restaurants unless I can watch them make the dressing in front of me. That creamy mayonnaise crap they seem to use in every johnnyonthespot restaurant makes me ill. Its kinda like playing russian roullette with five chambers loaded.

Had sushi at Sushi 88 the other night. Four of us got the party platter - $75 for four people - very well fed. In my admitedly sushi-inexperienced opinion it was good.

Horn of Africa is UNREAL. Great food - cheap as. Agreed.

Chez Mike n' Sharon is one of my favourites for sure - fargin' good cooks!

We had printed out this thread to look at once in town, and we were stuck between Pavarazzi’s and Carlos’. Upon looking deeper into the thread, we surmised that Carlos’ got gentlemonkey’s recommendation because he’s stumbled past it all tanked up one too many times looking for cheese to sop up his evening’s libations, something to fart himself to sleep with. Why we didn’t follow this reasonable line of thinking to ordering from them, I’ll rue forever.

Braapp Braaappppp BRAAAAAAAAP- zzzzzzzz

Hey Marco, too bad pavarazzis sucked, I have had a couple lack lustre pies.. but a few majestic ones as well. wish I couldve been the one to feed you the meal of your life.

BRAAAAAP! zzzzzzzzz

Edited by Guest
which wish is witch

Our one disappointing meal there was, the night we arrived we ordered in some pizza from Pavarazzi's. This is gourmet pizza? Huh?

I eat at Pavarazzi's about once a week (there's one one my block) and I haven't ordered the pizza in six months. Consistently disappointed and it's overpriced.

Ottawa is not a pizza city. :(

Thanks for the kind cuisine words MarcO! Sorry we had to feed you leftovers though ;)

Pavarazzi's...I've had it once. It was a spicy pepperoni New York style, thin crust, well done paradise of a pizza. I've never had anything like it.

If I order from there again, I'll just get the same thing.

if you were in li'l italy with the douglases and the gallants, I'll guess that it was the Prescott, if your pizza was square.

I'd love to go to the Horny Africa again soon, with a HUGE appetite.

I just don't buy caesar salads in restaurants unless I can watch them make the dressing in front of me. That creamy mayonnaise crap they seem to use in every johnnyonthespot restaurant makes me ill. Its kinda like playing russian roullette with five chambers loaded.

The place I'm in now still does cesar at the table and man is it ever good!

There isnt to many places left that still do table service especially for a salad :(

What's the menu like chez Mike & Sharon's????;) sounds like a good place to do some cheffin!

There is absolutely no way in hell I would eat a ceasar salad that wasn't made either at my home or by a chef right in front of me.

Coddled eggs, fresh garlic, anchovies, high quality olive oil and home-made croutons are a ceasar salad. What the hell is that creamy shit anyway? It tastes like cirrcle jerk to me. YUK.

What they all said. Caesar's blow unless it's made at your table with whole anchovies, untorn hearts of romaine and real goddamned egg.

As for pizza, I wish you'd have listened to reason and bought cheap un-fancy pizza from 1 plus 1. Not a pavarazzi fan, and for gourmet Forno Antico or Prescot are ok but priced ambitiously high for dough, tomatoes and cheese. The prescott is ALL ABOUT THE MEATBALL FRIGGIN' SANGWEECH

I've ordered sushi 88 a few times and it is indeed quite good - for a cheap and tasty meal Horny africa is a winner. It makes for fun gassy times before seeing a movie at the Bytown. Has anyone been to the other african restaurant near to it?

I hesitate letting people in on a great thing but The Manx is it - the right combination of reasonably-priced and expertly made food, good draught selection and patrons that most of the time do not suck. Sometimes they miss on the ethnic special but they've never missed on the sandwich, burger and main course specials. Honestly I think they've got a great thing going there and my Bank Account and Visa bill would concur.

we made a Caesar this week.

You need a wooden salad bowl to do it the real way. You start by putting your salt and coarse ground pepper in the bowl then add minced garlic. Mash the garlic into the bowl using the salt as traction. Then you proceed to add the anchovies and mash the crap out of them as well. Continue with the rest of the ingredients one at a time.

You can't forget the parmesan cheese either.

No no no, mais non! Ok well, your version sounds good but here's mine

split one clove and rub it all over the wooden bowl. then either mince it in or leave it out.

coarsely chop two anchovies, add s&p and the juice of half a lemon, a dab of dry mustard and a couple shots of worcestershire. coddle an egg and add it

start whisking, and whisk in about a quarter cup of olive oil. Toss with whole romaine hearts.

Shave a few thick pieces of real parm on top.

Serves two

The caesar is about as italian-authentic as a can of ragu. It was invented by an italian-american working at a restaurant in tijuana:

Wiggidy wiggidy wikipedia

I was feelin good about my lunch this mornin so I got up early and went to the farmers market to see what I could find to go with Tilapia fish I had from tuesday and wednesday' dinners...so here's the end result of my trip and the best lunch I've had in weeks!

Steve's Heirloom Tomatoe Salad

1 Red 1 Yellow Tomatoe;slice and arrange on the plate

4-5 Leaves of Red Basil; torn and spread around the tomatoes

julienne red onion; maybe 1/4 per salad to add texture and sweetness to contrast the tomatoe

garlic chips (thinly sliced then deep fried)

shaved pecorino romano cheese

E.V. Olive Oil drizzled all over

reduced balsamic vinergar drizzled all over

S&P TT

Try this and your sure to love it...you can serve it with anything. I'm going to have it with a nice steak and some red vino for dinner tonite!