Jambands.ca

what is your fave Miles Davis album?

dJEd

ok heres a big one. i'm a big fan of the fusion era so my pick comes from there. right now i would have to say Miles in the Sky but it could be any of the albums from then. Jack Johnson, Bitches, Silent Way, On The Corner. yes please.

lets hear em

Live Evil and Jack Johnson both have some of the same tracks.. kick ass era for sure, bitches, on the corner.... lots of great albums. pretty much until he started that 5 year binge in '75. havent gotten into his 80s stuff much.

I love some earlier albums, miles smiles in particular, but kind of blue never seems to get old.

I guess A Silent Way is my current fave.

Currently:

- Jack Johnson

- In a Silent Way

- Black Beauty

- Bitches Brew

- Miles in the Sky

- Live at the Fillmore

- On the Corner

- Live Evil

Also great:

- 4 and More

- Kind of Blue (rarely play it though)

- Panthalasa (Bill Laswell remixes of the 70's stuff).

Walkin'/Cookin'/Steamin' w/the miles davis quintet (all of those albums in that Columbia series kick ass)

Those albums aren't on Columbia, they're on Prestige. While Miles was signed to Prestige, he went out and signed another deal with Columbia, while still owing Prestige four albums. He took the band (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones) into the studio and cut four albums in one day (except for one or two tracks recorded later, IIRC).

The albums in question are:

Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

and all are really good. My first Davis album was "Kind Of Blue", and I think it's still my favourite, but I got into the Prestige albums shortly after I got KoB.

Aloha,

Brad