Jambands.ca

List 5 new bands you are grooving to this summer....

shainhouse

I've had a summer of new groovin and travelling. Gotta do something whilst sitting on a plane...

Here's my list;

(no particular order)

1. Final Fantasy

- Owen Pallett's solo violin hodgepodge. It's Indie, it's symphonic, slightly gay and simply brilliant.

2. Code Pie

-another Montreal band that is playing smart, garrolous Indie-rock. They have female trumpet and cello players and a fantastic vocalist. A little 80s, a little 90s and a little of everything else.

3. Syd Matters

-He is a Parisian anglophone, doing Indie-pop with a folk sensibility. A cross between Iron and Wine and The Postal Service. great voice!

4. Oshe

I think it's pronounced ah-shay. Really good progressive jazz from New York State. MMW and the like fans will eat this up.

5. The Stands

- another band from Liverpool that sound distinctly British, but have a nice 60s, laidback feel amidst some very mature songwriting. Great find!

one more... The Clumsy Lovers

- their first album is better, but still one of best fusion of rock, celtic, bluegrass, folk and jazz I've ever heard. In Canmore for the Folk Fest!

Edited by Guest

Lazlo Hollyfeld (4/11/05 is a good start)

My Morning Jacket (go to glide.com downloads)

Moonshine Still (7/8/05 sick sick sick)

Fantastic 4 (funk on arcive.org)

and a little known band called the Burt Neilson Band (who have been tearing it up lately)

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I discovered a band called Clap Your Hands Say Yeah by accident, and boy am I glad I did! The best way to describe them is a mix between Modest Mouse and Arcade Fire. Very good band that comes highly recommended.

The Go! Team is a hometown Brighton band that has made it pretty big worldwide. All their songs sound like they should be theme songs for Saturday morning cartoons, back when they were good.

I have dissed The Slip for the longest time, mainly to get a rise out of all of you. But in all honesty I listened to them the other day and I can say that I still don't get it. Man, what do you people see in them??

here's two...I'll add three more later.

1 - HESTON RIFLE (New York, NY) :: progressive rock, primarily instrumental, for fans of Godspeed You Black Emperor, Don Caballero, and Sonic Youth

2 - THE INFLATION KILLS (Hamilton,ON) :: straight ahead rock, one of my favourite local bands right now, for fans of Hot Snakes, Ted Leo Pharmacists, The Constantines

StoneMTN - Boozoo Bajou are awesome, I had forgotten all about them, thanks for the reminder.

Roller - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are amazing, somebody recommended them the other day and they blew me away how Talking Head-ish they are, if you'ree a David Byrne fan check them out, great band.

good thread!

Final Fantasy -- Puts on a mesmerizing live show, one that I can't get out of my head lately. He was onstage with Arcade Fire at Hillside on the weekend for a few songs, by the way.

New Bands for me:

- The Shins

- Do Make Say Think

- Valley Of The Giants (a cd out on arts & crafts, most likely a one-off side project that will not tour again, if they ever did tour to begin with. great cd though)

- Wilco (i recently got Summerteeth and its getting heavy airplay around here now. why did it take me so long to find this band!? they're filling a void in my music listening, i love it. good music to sing along with when driving around alone)

- The Ladies & Gentlemen (i saw this new band in peterborough about 2 months ago, opening for Les Sequelles and Wayne Petti. They blew those bands out of the water. Watch out for these guys I tell you! It was a band of about 8 guys maybe, playing pop music with a few different kinds of keyboards, clapping and everyone singing. High energy pop with heavy keyboards and harmonies. They're from Toronto)