Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum

rubberdinghy

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dinghy, did you hear Ray Emery was sent home today? He showed up late to practice, said he wasnt feeling well and Paddock sent him home.

Read between the lines kids. Do the math. Hissy-fit yesterday and all of a sudden he isnt feeling well? This guy is obviously problematic for the Sens dressing room and was totally over-rated as a keeper last year.

Hear me now. This is Brian Murrays first mistake.

Ottawa goaltender Ray Emery left practice before it began Friday with team officials saying he was not feeling well.

Emery's absence comes just one day after a stick-slamming outburst during an optional practice on Thursday, apparently venting some frustration with his lack of playing time.

Since leaving a December 12th game against Carolina with an injury, Emery has started just one of the Senators last eight games, a 4-3 overtime loss to Chicago on December 22. Since then, Martin Gerber has posted six wins in his last seven starts, giving him 19 wins on the season and a 2.32 goals against average.

Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson said Emery needs to continue working hard in practice if he hopes to get regular playing time in goal.

"If he was our number one goalie right now and we lived and die by him then it would be a different story," said Alfredsson. "We'd expect more from him at all times. Gerber is our goalie right now and I think Ray's mission right now is if he wants to get back in it he's got to show the coaches he wants to do it. That's where we are at"

In all honesty, I am not sure what to make of the story and will give you guys my take instead of trying to get Ollie to have a seizure.

Its either being completely blown out of proportion or there is some truth in what Ian Mendes said on some sports talk show on Sportsnet. He thinks something went down and that the Sens media department is trying to put a spin on whatever it was that went down. He was there and felt like there was more to it than meets the eye.

But yeah. Time to jump ship boys!

A couple of guys who took completely different routes to get to The Show sure do enjoy travelling in the same circles on their way to work now.

Especially when those circles are made with their snowmobiles.

First-year Senators teammates Daniel Alfredsson of Gothenburg, Sweden, and Shean Donovan of Timmins left their respective vehicles at home and opted to ride their sleds to practice at Scotiabank Place Friday -- Alfredsson on a brand new Ski-Doo Mini Z and Donovan riding his 1998 Formula 500.

Judging by how both were still wearing faces lit up like Christmas trees yesterday, it won't be the last time.

"It was Dono's idea," Alfredsson said, grinning. "He's the old vet, so I figured I'd just follow his lead.

"It was fun."

A few minutes later (and after pointing out that Alfredsson's actually the old vet of the two), Donovan explained how his Ontario upbringing leads him to climb on a snow machine whenever he can. And Friday -- thanks to the three months' worth of white stuff we've had dumped on us in December -- conditions were ideal for both him and the team captain to make the 20-minute trek to the rink stylin' under a different type of helmet.

"Usually Huntmar (Rd.) isn't plowed ... there are some good fields," said Donovan, seeming to remember the possibility that they may have graced a piece of private property or two. "Nobody shot at us, so I guess they didn't mind that much."

Donovan said they had a better time on the way home, because neither player was carrying a cellphone and neither wanted to do anything that might put them at risk of being late for practice.

The concept apparently is a novel one for those who go to the same office in a Hummer.

"Afterwards, we were able to go off the beaten path a little," smiled Donovan, who admitted to being a wee bit impressed with the machine his pal was guiding. "I had mine pinned, and he just blew by me. I'm like, whatever."

That's generally the way it goes, isn't it? When two guys work together and travel in the same circles, the older one is going to be able to figure out how to do it quicker.

Okay, so maybe having the fatter wallet from which to draw and buy better toys helps a little, too.

According to

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/01/04/4752847.html

Ray Emery will be in goal for the Senators tonight as they attempt to snap out of a two game slump against the Sabres.

It will be Emery's first start since Dec. 22.

"It's based on the last two games as much as anything," coach John Paddock said after the morning skate at HSBC Arena in Buffalo. "We allowed 14 goals ... it's certainly not all Martin Gerber's fault, but that's why."

Aloha,

Brad