Jambands.ca

Stones might play Pheonix tomorrow (Wed)

M

I would love to but have plans for the eve and lining up outside a bar right now is not high on my list of priorities...

but yeah, it's definitely the best way to see them...

just bought my mom some tics to see them in september for her bday yesterday so will likely go to that show. she's almost a bigger fan than me!

my dad saw them in a field in ireland in '66... he still claims nothing can top that :D

from nme

THE ROLLING STONES accuse US President GEORGE W BUSH of being "full of sh*t" on their new album.

The track ’Sweet Neo Con’, one of the tracks on the forthcoming ’A Bigger Bang’, was already known to be fiercely anti-Bush.

However, frontman Mick Jagger's disdain for the American leader has now been confirmed, with Rolling Stones singer revealing some of the lyrics in an interview with Newsweek.

But the singer has revealed that guitarist Keith Richards, who lives in the US, is a bit worried about the direct nature of the words.

An extract from ’Sweet Neo Con’ features the following lines: "You call yourself a Christian, I call you u a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of sh*t."

Jagger said of the track: “It is direct. Keith said: ‘It's not really metaphorical.’

â€I think he’s a bit worried because he lives in the US. But I don’t.â€

’A Bigger Bang’ is released on September 5 and is preceded by the single, ’Streets Of Love’ on August 22. The band begin their forthcoming world tour in Boston on August 21.

It's a secret club gig... There won't be any advance tickets and the location is unknown to the public... All you can do is flip a coin and show up at one of the venues mentioned above... They do this every time they practice in Toronto... The last time it was at the Palais Royale, I believe...

no, no, it's been announceed that its at the phoenix and would only change at the last minute if the phoenix couldn't do it. last time at the palias royale I'm pretty sure they sold tickets the day of, but the horsheshoe and elmo shows of past years were just line up early. I guess the phoenix will be too.

CBC is reporting that The Trews are opening.

Too bad they suck.

AD

what an ouch! AD, from whom I so enjoyed the life risking experience stories and general sardonic commentary from

they play good Zepplin, and they're kind of cute... and they try

ok I'm distracted now because the doorbell rang and is was teh "postal worker girl who drives her own truck" and my dogs got out and accosted her the way I trained them, sorta... then I slurred whatever I was saying and she crouched down and coddled the little one and said how much she loved little doogies and kept smiling at my fearful drinking Labatt's Blue at 9:30 face so I kept saying unhuh and laughing when there was laughing and now she's gone

back to business

ok, generally I don't get a lot of doorbell ringing... but after that last amazing (and true) story... the doorbell just rang again

I was ready to leave you all for whatever better place awaited me with the postal girl who drives her own truck but it turned out to be a burly guy wearing a reflective vest (on my dead end street) here to tell me they are turning off the water

maybe she'll be back tomorrow

ok I'm distracted now because the doorbell rang and is was teh "postal worker girl who drives her own truck" and my dogs got out and accosted her the way I trained them, sorta... then I slurred whatever I was saying and she crouched down and coddled the little one and said how much she loved little doogies...

Like this one?

doogie1.jpg

Aloha,

Brad

more from canoe

TORONTO - The gig is up. In spite of intense secrecy, hundreds of Rolling Stones fans queued up yesterday for a "surprise" concert at the Phoenix Concert Theatre, where, sources say, the band will perform tonight.

"The rumours are true, they'll be here. This is a pilgrimage; this is what rock and roll is all about," Monte Winston said as he waited outside 410 Sherbourne St.

The Phoenix has an 1,100-person capacity and a permanent stage, but sources said the front has been extended to accommodate the four Stones -- singer Mick Jagger, drummer Charlie Watts and guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood -- as well as their side musicians.

Yesterday's humidex of 40C didn't stop fans from lining up to see their No. 1 band rock in a small club.

"If you're a true fan, you line up no matter what," said Dave Kruzel, who drove in from Cleveland on a friend's tip. "I made the trip, so I hope they will be here. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't true."

Internet bulletin boards were buzzing about a possible intimate Toronto club appearance, but details were so scarce that "Stoners" were sent to three different venues: Kool Haus, the Mod Club and the Phoenix.

Two sources later confirmed it would be the Phoenix, but the big question was where, when and how tickets would be sold -- and how many would be made available to the public.

A few fans started lining up at the 1,600-square-metre Phoenix around 9 a.m. yesterday. Fewer than 10 were there by noon. But by 7 p.m. about 200 people had settled in.

Robert Winter, who had the coveted spot at the front of the line, was confident he was in the right place all along. "This is where their equipment is," he said.

Brenda Hilt, the president of the Stones Toronto fan club, was certain about the venue once she spotted Stones tour manager Michael Cohl's son. "I saw him and I knew," she said.

Yesterday morning, vans pulled up to the Phoenix to deliver beverages, presumably for the crew. Later, trucks drove up the northside alley to roll out sound equipment. Security guards were also there, as well as official-looking types wearing Stones T-shirts and laminated passes.

One rumour was that only 50 to 100 tickets would be made available to the public, with the rest for special guests.

However, late last night, fans that have been standing outside Greenwood College school where the band has been rehearsing since mid-July were given a wristband and a ticket. Some 50 regular fans were given the freebies. Cohl, the Stones' promoter oversaw the giveaway.

Also last night, according to radio sources, general admission tickets were to go on sale at 8 a.m. this morning for $10 at the Phoenix.

Still, some fans worried about a possible "Filmore '99" repeat.

The band has been known to cancel surprise gigs if information leaks to the media 24 hours before a show.

Yeah I've seen them maybe 4 times at festivals and in opening slots... They sound like Nickelback to me.

Although I guess I should have prefaced the 'they suck' with 'In my experience seeing them, they did not live up to my expectations or their own hype, therefore...'

I'd like to hear this 'flawless Bohemian Rhapsody' you speak of... I love it when bands tarnish the catalogue of my favourite band. (You know the original wasn't '4-part harmonies' right? It was way more than that.) I simply do not believe that anyone can play Bohemian Rhapsody live. Queen never did. That says something. (I know Phish tried it with a choir, but that sucked hard too).

AD