Jambands.ca

Jury Duty

Cosmic ChrisC

So I've been summoned to the Superior Court of Ontario for jury duty. Damn. I have to show up on September 6th, probably for jury selection I'm thinking? I don't feel like doing this. Does anyone know if I can get out of this somehow?

On September 6th, I'm required to start working on a big project at work. Is that reason enough not to do jury duty?

I don't wanna have to decide if someone is guilty or not. I have no idea what the case is at this point. Could be just a half day thing. But it could also last a few weeks too. Who knows? Urgh.

On September 6th, I'm required to start working on a big project at work. Is that reason enough not to do jury duty?

Nope, jury duty takes precedence over anything at your job.

Your employer is obligated to pay you (I believe), although maybe it's just a percentage of your wages. And being away on jury duty is not a cause for termination.

AD

Christine, I went through this whole movie last year, albeit in TO. Indeed what you're being summoned for is just the jury selection process, which is hands-down the most put-a-bullet-through-yer-head BORING time believeable (most time is spent in a large room with 200 others, yakking on cells, playing cards, flipping through mags -- imagine a waiting room designed by Satan -- there you have it.)

The monotony is intermittently broken up by having 50 -100 of you called to a court room to undergo the selection process. It's like a lottery, where all names are in a big drum and they call out about 20 at a time. The only info given about you is your name and occupation [aside: but it's intersting to watch the lawyers madly scribbling during this time, cause they are making instant decisions about whether they want you or not -- contrary to TV, they may not ask you questions] You line up in front of the judge and at this time you have the opportunity to ask the judge to be excused -- and beginning a big project at work especially if there is no one else to do it and it would cause great hardship in the work place was quite often accepted as valid. Hell, people having vacations booked was also accepted numerous times. But I guess it depends on the judge and his/her mood. For example, near the end of the week I was finally "picked from the barrel" for a rape/murder case. I told the judge I believed I was unfairly biased as I work at a Rape Crisis Centre and would like to personally castrate the bastard before me by myself (that last part was under my breath!) but he didn't excuse me!!! Obviously the defence team "challenged" me right away (you either hear "accepted" ("oh FUCK!!") or "challenged" (Fuck off, we don;t want you, "YAY!")

Anyway, susally you're summoned for a whole week of this, and if you make it through, unpicked, you're in the clear for another 3 years. You can, also, put it off for up to six months, usually by writing a letter to request so. If you can think of a 'good time' to be away from work for a week, minimum, then that may be your best option right now.

I just checked my company's policy on this and we would get paid in full for Jury duty. I'd rather be in court.

Yeah, kinda crazy that I'd rather be at work, huh? I just know how busy I'll be at that time, coming back from a 2-week vacation. And it seems less stressful to work than to decide on someone's fate!

Contempt of Court and Perjury are the words you're thinking of I believe... Although StoneMtn would know for sure

AD

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The Court has bigger issues to deal with than pursuing criminal charges against people attempting to wriggle out of jury duty.

That said, CalamityJane more or less summed it up. It depends on the day, the judge, the court, and the lawyers. (The lawyers are particularly difficult to second-guess because it's difficult to know what either of them wants in a juror, presuming they even know, and they have to choose carefully who they will reject outright as they can only do that a limited number of times.)

I'm probably biased, but I tend to think that jury duty is one example of living in a free society. As such, I think people should consider it a privilege to perform this civic duty; rather than attempt to avoid it (unless there is some very compelling reason).

That said, I am not trying to pass judgment and I imagine the work you do is very important and may be a compelling reason to wish to be exempt.

I'm probably biased, but I tend to think that jury duty is one example of living in a free society. As such, I think people should consider it a privilege to perform this civic duty; rather than attempt to avoid it (unless there is some very compelling reason).

How legimimate a concern is fear of retribution? The jury is seen by the person being tried, correct?

I would not expect the Court to give that reason much weight. It would apply to everyone on the jury, so no one person could really claim that on their own.

There is also the question as to whether it's valid in the circumstances. If the trial isn't even a criminal trial, and it's just two companies suing over a contract breach, that argument wouldn't hold too much water.

Finally, yes, the "accused" in a criminal trial or the "litigants" in a civil trial would see the jury.

There is also the question as to whether it's valid in the circumstances. If the trial isn't even a criminal trial, and it's just two companies suing over a contract breach, that argument wouldn't hold too much water.

Yeah, let's hope it's not a boring case like that! Bleurk! I don't know anything about that kinda crap, how the heck could I concentrate during the trial? Can I just act dumb during jury selection and say I have ADD and just can't sit still for very long?

even in the selection process, I was horrified to discover the accused sitting there. Even worse, when you are presented to the lawyers, (as in your name and occupation is read out) the judge says something like: "juror, look upon the accused, accused, look upon your potential juror". Holy scary making of eye contact batman!!! (esp. me with that rapist!) It's at that moment each side gets to say "accept" or "challenge". You need to be accepted by both sides, of course, and from that moment on you go sit in the jury box.

That said, I am not trying to pass judgment and I imagine the work you do is very important and may be a compelling reason to wish to be exempt.

The work I do isn't that important in the grand scheme of things...I work in the arts. Although I feel the arts are necessary for a culture to survive and add to our quality of life, many people don't feel that way.

Anyway, of course, I'll show up on the 6th, and I'll go through the whole process and see what happens.

I agree that it's my civil duty and comes with living in a free society.

You know, StoneMtn, I feel the same way you do... I don't know if it comes from watching too much Law & Order on TV, my philosophical studies (i.e. PHL of Law, etc), or what, but I have always been fascinated with the whole legal process... I would consider it an honour and a priviledge (not to mention my civic DUTY) to serve on a jury. Unfortunately, I have never been selected for jury duty. I'm not sure why that is. Friends of mine are constantly being summoned to serve, and they always seem to want to try to get out of it. I really don't understand that phenomenon, but I guess to each his own... Anyhow, I find it sort of humorous that I REALLY want to serve, and I have never been chosen (or even summoned to the selection process). OH well, maybe tomorrow I'll get that 'Lucky Letter' :o

S/C

you can present medical reasons to not be part of a jury. (I considered claiming I have to pee too often -- those who know me, know this isn't a stretch), but as StoneMtn said, it is a duty and kinda a privledge.

just bring unfinished projects, etc. to keep you busy during the waiting room times. (No reading/writing allowed in the actual courtrooms, though -- I was chewed out about that a few times!)

I don't know if it comes from watching too much Law & Order on TV, my philosophical studies (i.e. PHL of Law, etc), or what, but I have always been fascinated with the whole legal process...

First: It is not possible to watch too much Law and Order. I only question whether there is enough time in a human life to watch enough.

Second: You have a degree in Philosophy of Law? I did that before Law School. I did my Masters work in Ron Dworkin. What degree did you do, and on whose work did you focus? I'd like to read your work, if you were inclined to send some along. (I don't apologize for being a nerd. By now, you all know that about me.)