Jambands.ca

Periods and Commas

greasyfizeek

There are a lot of grammar rules broken all the time. Periods/commas is just the most common. I don't plan on being the grammar police on this board, nor do I purport to follow every single rule. But from now on, I will capitalize my sentences and proper nouns.

P.S. Go see Themasses Tuesday Sept 6th in Toronto.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m all for proper grammar. I think it is lost on a lot of people. I’m nowhere close to perfect with my grammar, but if I find I’m doing something wrong, I try to remember for next time. Why not? You have to put a comma in anyways, why not do it right? It doesn't take anymore effort and it is good practise. A person's poor grammar could actually keep them from getting a job they are going for. "Oh, these two poeple have the same resume, except this person looks to be smarter. THey get the job."

Tomorrow’s lesson should be your vs. you’re.

PS: It’s congraTs not congraDs. :)

PersonallyIreallyliketothinkthatpunctuationdoesntreallymatter

ithinkitshowsthepersonalitlyofsomeoneonline

itendtonevercapitalizeoruseproperpunctuationbecausethisisaveryinformalplacetobe.

ififeellikeidontneedtousethespacebarthenfine.

Anyways, I use alot of stupid terms online, but how long has slang been around...it's evolution man...

I also tend to use three periods alot!

I LOVE you all!

Goddamn this is a fun place; this thread just made my day! (Pathetic, I suppose.)

let's indeed have lessons on

** your

** you're

** their

** they're

** there

** its

** it's

It's not complicated people...it only takes a second to figure out which one you need.

Many a gray hair of mine can be attributed to reading too many essays with bad 'mechanics'.

Furthermore, tuck away this little tidit for future error-free writing: apostrophes are NEVER used to show plural. If you mean "more than one thing" then use an "S" all by its lonesome.

Here's some punctuation for you lame asses!!!

----------------------------------------------

Assicons

We all know those cute little computer symbols called "emoticons". For

example:

:-) is a smiley face and ;-) is a winky.

Well, how about some "ass-icons"? Here goes:

(_!_) a regular ass

(__!__) a fat ass

(!) a tight ass

(_*_) a sore ass

(((_!!_))) shake your ass

(_o_) an asshole

(_O_) a big asshole

(_x_) kiss my ass

(_zzz_) a tired ass

(_E=mc2_) a smart ass

(_?_) a dumb ass

(_$_) money coming out of his ass

(_777_) a lucky ass

(_666_) hemorrhoids

[_!_] liposuction

(_:_) torn a new hole

(_! half-assed

I don't agree with putting commas inside quotation marks, unless the phrase you are quoting contains a comma. I see the quotation marks as delimiters of a literal string. If the phrase doesn't have a comma in it, then by adding one you are corrupting the original phrase.

I LOVE you all!

Goddamn this is a fun place; this thread just made my day! (Pathetic, I suppose.)

let's indeed have lessons on

** your

** you're

** their

** they're

** there

** its

** it's

It's not complicated people...it only takes a second to figure out which one you need.

Many a gray hair of mine can be attributed to reading too many essays with bad 'mechanics'.

Another one: "alot" is not a word, it's two separate words: "a lot".

Furthermore, tuck away this little tidit for future error-free writing: apostrophes are NEVER used to show plural. If you mean "more than one thing" then use an "S" all by its lonesome.

The one exception I've heard for this is writing plurals of acronyms of abbreviations, such as "CPU's" for more than one CPU, or "the 1980's" for the decade between 1980 and 1989. I don't follow this practise, though, and just tack an "s" on the end of words I wish to make plural.

Aloha,

Brad

An ellipsis (or ellipses' date=' plural) does not have to be three dots.....it can be any number of dots....actually, it doesn't matter--it can be any symbol indicating a pause in speech.[/quote']

No!!! 3 dots! It must be 3 dots!!

Okay, okay! It's three dots!

Jeez.

In "Kooky Ollie Land", an ellipsis is three dots...and ONLY three dots...