Jambands.ca

Mayor of New Orleans is PISSED

FairySari

Did the Iraqi people request that we go in there? Did they ask us to go in there? What is more important? .... We authorized 8 billion dollars to go to Iraq lickety-quick, after 9/11 we gave the president unprecedented powers lickety-quick to take care of New York....and we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that WE need?...Write letters, make calls to the congressmen, to the president, to the governor. Flood their doggone offices with requests to do something.

Hearing both the Mayor and the interviewer break down -- that's what did it for me. I'm pissed too. I mean, even more now than fifteen minutes ago, before I heard the interview. And I was pissed then. What a damn, damn, damn disgrace.

Sometimes, man, you just gotta kick.

Edited by Guest
fixed typo, typed too fast, agitated

One thing that I've been thinking about this situation is the speed with which civil society has completely broken down in N.O.

I mean, we didn't hear too many stories of looting and armed bandits shooting at aid workers and such in S.E. Asia after the tsunami. That's not to say I'm certain it didn't happen, but I don't remember hearing anything about it.

I really feel for the people who are just trying to survive and make it through this peacefully. Its a tragedy on a scale we don't expect in the west.

But, what the fuck is going on with our 'advanced' society? The minute the system crashes, loads of people are out ravaging their fellow citizen's private property and shooting at people trying to stabilize the horrible situation!

Remember: Guns don't kill people. People with big dogs, ugly women, and claw hammers -- oh, yeah, and GUNS -- kill people.

Ah, the American Way: It's your right to outgun the cops and soldiers who are trying to protect and rescue you.

also a good chance that the guy who lives there is trying to ward off the various gangs and individuals who've been raping, beating and killing people... terrible hearing that people who've already been brutalized by the flood are now getting brutalized by roving thugs

if I was stuck there I'd want a gun (and I'm definately not pro-guns)

something like this provides more than adequate proof america isn't anywhere near as civilized as its always claiming to be

Edited by Guest

TomFoolery if you look at who was left behind I don't think it is surprising how quickly things have gone downhill. These were the poor of New Orleans the peeps living in the projects, the people with no means to get out, they were desperate before now it's even worse. I've also been thinking that I'm pretty sure that NO's criminal elements (I'e gang leaders, drug dealers, murderers, rapists etc..) were highly unlikely to heed an evacuation order, therefore they are the one running th city. I have heard and read a bunch of stories of tourists caught up in the middle of all of this and literally getting preyed on beaten, raped killed by locals. It is absolut INSANITY!!!

I'd say that humanity has to do with the makeup, the essence of what it is to be human and that civilisation is what we've tried to build in order to be able to survive despite our humanity.

and given the ever increasing gap (more like canyon) between rich and poor i would have to agree that humanity used to be more civilised

hell in a handbasket, folks

New Orleans is a very poor city, one that has been constantly ignored by the American government. Lousiana has a very high unemployment rate and a fairly low standard of living compared to other states... When desperate people are left with nothing, all this violence is impossible to stop. It shows how many problems lay waste in America while they are out creating more problems around the globe.

Well, Digzz Davey Boy and Shainhouse - what you've pointed out is really exactly what I'm curious about.

I am no sociologist and I'm also shamefully ignorant on international poverty comparisons. However, I suspect that the extreme poor of N.O. are probably better off than many (if not most) of the hundreds of thousands of people affected by the S.E. Asian tsunami.

Is it all just a relative thing that creates a subversive resentment? I.e. the poor of N.O. are surrounded by conspicuous wealth so they get pissed and resentful?

It seems that people (again, based on not a lot of factual information - just anecdotal evidence) that the people in S.E. Asia pooled together a bit more to help each other survive. That was poor people left with nothing on a far bigger scale than what we're looking at in N.O.

It isn't just poverty...

One thing that I've been thinking about this situation is the speed with which civil society has completely broken down in N.O.

New Orleans is a city that on its best days is lined with streets that you just do not set foot on. We visited a friend there about ten years ago and the first thing she did was define our boundaries in the French Quarter. We were warned not to head more than a block east of where our hotel was. We were warned which streets were "white" and which streets were "black". We really wanted to go a jazz club that was on a "black" street and had to work up the courage to go there, based on the fear instilled in us. What really shook me is that she also told us not to talk to black people on the street. You can cut the racial tension in that city with a knife. Of course we flaunted the last rule but I always had an uneasy feeling walking around the quarter.

All that to say that this was probably the worst city in the USA for this to happen to.

New Orleans is a city that on its best days is lined with streets that you just do not set foot on. We visited a friend there about ten years ago and the first thing she did was define our boundaries in the French Quarter. We were warned not to head more than a block east of where our hotel was. We were warned which streets were "white" and which streets were "black". We really wanted to go a jazz club that was on a "black" street and had to work up the courage to go there' date=' based on the fear instilled in us. What really shook me is that she also told us not to talk to black people on the street. You can cut the racial tension in that city with a knife. Of course we flaunted the last rule but I always had an uneasy feeling walking around the quarter.

All that to say that this was probably the worst city in the USA for this to happen to.

[/quote']

I was in New Orleans myself about 10 years ago and felt much the same way you did. One thing that will always stick in my mind. During Mardi Gras I witnessed a KKK meeting where they were openly burning crosses and shouting out racist remarks. About 100 feet away was a beautiful choir of all black people singing away. I still to this day can't believe it. We defenitly weren't in Canada anymore.

Hey,

When will an important Democrat come out and loudly proclaim that this is the THIRD time that Bush's administration has been caught asleep at the switch costing THOUSANDS of American lives!!! When will he stop listening to the same people (Dick, Condy and Donald) who advised him on terrorism in early 01, Iraq in '02-'03 and disaster prep in '05...WTF?

I wish John Kerry was the same man he was when he tossed out his army medals in disgrace.

Apparently, the senate confiscates your balls!

Jef