Jambands.ca

Arkestra with Marshall Allen 4 nights in TO

AD

Important Point #1: The Sun Ra Arkestra is great. Saw them about four yeara go at the River Run Centre in Guelph as part of the Guelph Jazz Festival. Not only do they kick serious ass, but they are truly entertaining and interactive. Groovy.

Important Point #2: The Lula Lounge is a wonderful venue. Groovy.

I don't know if I would call this the original Arkestra but you are likely to get at very least Marshall Allen and Michael Ray out.

Hmmm....I'm not completely familiar with the original line-up as much as the music but it seems that alot of these guys have been in the band for quite some time.

THE SUN RA ARKESTRA

Under the direction of Marshall Allen

MARSHALL ALLEN

alto saxophone - flute - EVI - joined Arkestra in 1958

CHARLES DAVIS

baritone saxophone - joined Arkestra in 1955

ART JENKINS

vocals - percussion - joined Arkestra in 1960

TYRONE HILL

trombone - joined Arkestra in 1968

MICHAEL RAY

trumpet - vocals - joined Arkestra in 1978

JOHN ORE

bass - joined Arkestra in 1961

FRED ADAMS

trumpet - joined Arkestra in 1982

KNOEL SCOTT

alto saxophone - joined Arkestra in 1979

VINCENT CHANCEY

french horn - joined Arkestra in 1976

CECIL BROOKS

trumpet

DANNY THOMPSON

flute, baritone sax, alto sax, bassoon- joined Arkestra in 1959

REY SCOTT

baritone saxophone - joined Arkestra in 1988

DAVE DAVIS

trombone - joined Arkestra in 1999

LUQUMAN ALI

drums - joined Arkestra in 1964

ELSON NASCIMENTO

percussion - joined Arkestra in 1988

D. HOTEP

guitar - joined Arkestra in 2000

YAHYA ABDUL-MAJID

tenor saxophone - joined Arkestra in 1980

BILL DAVIS

bass - joined Arkestra in 1962

JUINI BOOTH

bass - joined Arkestra in 1967

My mistake. Is that the line up for the toronto shows? I can't see how they can afford to bring up that many people. If I'm not mistaken they didn't have nearly that many guys I'm thinking 6-10 but it may have been more, maybe it was more like 12-14. The thing to get about the Arkestra is that they shared a communal house and Sun Ra really did believe he was from Saturn. From what I understand Marshall still keeps up the house and I would suspect a number of these guys live there. Sort of an old age home for saturn boppers. In Chicago there's a place called the Velvet Lounge which is basically the basement of a house (Fred Anderson keeps it up I believe) and guys like Hamid Drake sort of grew up there.

Is that the line up for the toronto shows?

Not sure myself, I assumed that it would be as it says nothing to the contrary on their website.I search for some reviews of current past shows but haven't found anything mentioning who will be present.

I'm hoping to hit one of these nights thats for sure.If it hasn't sold out already.

Was Michael Ray at that Guelph show? Anyway, it was a really great show to see. I'd see them again in a second if I could. I remember also during that fest seeing Marshall Allen and _______ (one other guy) do a free jazz afternoon gig at the movie theatre above E-Bar. It was intimate and experimental and pretty damn weird! Really cool though.

Edited by Guest

Michael Ray was most definitely there, and the second time I saw him play no doubt (NOLA Jazz Fest '95 'Cars, Trucks and Buses') - do I get a hero cookie? I'd suspect they'll bring six or seven guys up but it will still be definitely worth it. The kind of stuff these guys conjur up on really off days is better than the bulk of what passes as improvisational music these days.

Oh and incidentally Marshall Allen was back at Guelph Jazz this year and he did a workshop with John Oswald of plunderphonics fame playing in this setting on saxophone. You know the dude who cut up Thriller and all that and got access to the vault and did that weird mashed up Dark Star. A couple of younger players, Scott Thomson this trombone player dink wad from Guelph played and Doug Tielli who I'm pretty sure is Martin's brother.

Marshall has these deep icey blue eyes like a Husky or Malamiut - eery really - a very deep charachter.

• 1 month later...