Jambands.ca

save puppies in guelph from being killed!

PalacePrincess

If you're worried that they wont find a home, try the rescue sites - depending on location of their volunteers they'd pick them up and find them homes. They kinda work like an underground railroad - volunteers will meet other volunteers half way to transport dogs.

My sister got a daschund/jackrussell cross from Tennesee that way a couple of years back.

ANd these kiddies could go to either beagle or cockerspaniel rescue orgs.

Edited by Guest

His wife is pregant and will be home for the next year or two so it will be perfect for spending lots of time with a new puppy.

I'm expecting and we'd like to get a dog (although we can't have one in our current place), so this is something we've looked into and discussed. We've both had dogs before.

Baby + Puppy = Generally not a good idea; not just our conclusion.

I'd talk to a local dog breeder or trainer first (NOT a pet store) before considering getting a dog under these circumstances. A reputable breeder will screen potential owners for possible issues (like this), and a trainer can give some idea of what would be a reasonable expectation for the time, effort and success rate of training a puppy.

The big issues:

* Mom will have her hands full with a baby human, nevermind a baby dog that will need to be walked and trained, not to mention demanding her attention

* Puppy will not understand that baby is not a puppy, a chew toy, or a ready source of treats. If baby drops a cookie and reaches for it, what are the odds that puppy's teeth will already be somewhere in the vicinity? (The Mercenary once trained a mature dog not to grab food without permission--ever watched a dog sit there waiting deperately for permission to eat the biscuit sitting on its nose? Is it wise to trust that a puppy would get the idea?)

* Baby will not understand that puppy is not a stuffed animal or a chew toy. Is it wise to trust an eager pup, who is not necessarily a mean dog but possessing teeth and claws just the same, to not react in a manner perfectly appropriate for another puppy but not for a human?

* Ever tripped over dog that has more energy than experience to know to get out of the way? Not something I'd want to do with a baby in my arms.

The puppies are very cute and it's hard to resist them, but teaching a mature dog to cope with a baby can be a job in itself. I don't know your friends so I don't mean this personally, but I think it's far too likely that nobody would benefit from adding a puppy to the family at the same time as a baby.

my boss wants two. one of rhis sis and one for his mom. well one for sure... he has to call his mom at lunch to see if she for sure wants one... she needs to see them first. she doesn't know how to open an email or somethign though so he has to talk her through it.

sooooo, how the heck can I get two puppies from u of g to me in london on saturday. also, is your place puppy-friendly, thorgnor?

Why oh why did I get involved! :crazy: