Jambands.ca

Terrible News

h

Myers to play Keith Moon in biopic

By JAM! Movies

Mike Myers is set to star as Keith Moon in an as-yet-untitled film about the renowned drummer of The Who, Variety reports.

The Canadian actor had shown interest in playing Moon a few years ago, but was too busy tackling the roles of four characters in "Austin Powers in Goldmember."

The Who singer Roger Daltrey is producing the movie, which he has been working on and off for almost 10 years.

The film is now being fast tracked, and the next step is selecting a director.

Back in 2002, Britain's Sun tabloid quoted Daltrey as saying Myers would be perfect to play the lead in a biopic on the life of Moon, who died in 1978 in what was at the time described as an accidental overdose.

"Mike is a genius," Daltry reportedly told the tabloid.

"I can really see him as Keith. He's amazing when you meet him, so clever."

During his short life (he was 32 when he died), Moon became famous for his chaotic drumming style, bizarre sense of humour and penchant for destroying hotel rooms.

Myers last appeared on screen in 2003's "The Cat in the Hat."

I think it'd work, but I wonder if the movie will just be another one of these look at what the artist is doing to himself over and over again type flicks or if they'll actually get into what made Keith Moon what he was.

Musically and personally.

Daltrey seems like a bit of a schmuck who might not treat the film as it should despite his personal ties to the subject.

Cheers

Steve

Well, I heard about Myers wanting to play Moonie a few years ago. I thought Myers was too old then. I realize Keith aged terribly and by the mid 70's to 1978, he looked 10 years older than his true age.

I'm also curious to see if the producers will cast a young actor to play a youthful Moon - I hope they do. Keith was really boyish looking, even into the early 1970's. Also, the film will fail if they try to get Myers to drum like Keith. If by a small chance he does a good facsimile of Moon's frantic drumming, then Myers should receive Oscar consideration.

oh dear...

daltry shouldnt be producing, myers shouldnt be playing - it's bad news i'm telling ya...

I agree. Daltrey wasn't great friends with Keith either. In fact, Roger kicked the shit out of Moon on a few occassions. Keith was however great friends with Townshend. I wonder why Pete isn't producing - he has a good track record when he produces theatre and films ( Iron Giant was the last film he produced ). Probably Pete doesn't want anything to do with this.

I've always wanted to see Mike Myers do a drugged up drunk role.

B00000JGOL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"The one true gem of the film, though, is Mike Myers's take on the late Steve Rubell, an inspired high-wire performance that balances humor and tragedy without ever giving in to camp or pathos. Had this been a more well-received movie, he'd be remembered come Oscar time--his drunken proposition of Philippe is a minor treasure..."

....oops....guess I should start reading the threads before I post....

Edited by Guest