Jambands.ca

Warren Haynes, yay or nay?

dJEd

tooly, this ones for you

ok so Warren is a major player in the live music scene thingy, and it seems like everyone loves him. i however do not. he's ok in the ABB's current lineup because his straight up the middle blues playing fits, but i don't see why everyone raves about the guy.

his playing has never impressed me and his singing is wicked bad goat rock.

he should also be shot for playing Afro Blue. what a disgrace.

end rant.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tooly, this ones for you

ok so Warren is a major player in the live music scene thingy, and it seems like everyone loves him. i however do not. he's ok in the ABB's current lineup because his straight up the middle blues playing fits, but i don't see why everyone raves about the guy.

his playing has never impressed me and his singing is wicked bad goat rock.

he should also be shot for playing Afro Blue. what a disgrace.

end rant.

thats just your 0.02$..

your entitled to it..

I just don't hear it, hoarse voice does not equal soul.

As if some dude that wants to stick their nose in the crotch of Bob Weir's pink short shorts would have a fucking clue about soul. Warren oozes soul.

Big yay from me for the hardest working man in rock'n'roll.

I'm sorry but anyone who says nay, obviously has no idea what their talking about and probably doesnt play or understand music the way it should be. HUGE yay, he's all over the place and can rip better and tastefully than the most of them, I can't even believe this is up for discussion.

Edited by Guest

i play music, but i favor interesting music. i know what i'm talking about enough to realize that Warren doesn't have an original bone in his body. as for ripping, yeah he can play the blues scale and a few modes, lots of people can. unfortunately he can't do anything else(see: Jimmy Herring) the biggest problem with this scene is the guitar loving.

and please enlighten us as to how one might grasp an understanding of "music the way it should be"

I know that Warren is not a complex guitar player. And he does sound like he learned to play by reading Guitar Player. And he can bring the cheese like very few others. And Thorazine Shuffle, Blind Man in the Dark and Mule are flat out overplayed.

But fuck it. I love listening to Warren Haynes and I love his songwriting. He sends shivers up my spine when I watch him in concert. He does what he does very, very well.

oh theres no denying he's a talented guy, but so are Vai and Satriani and they're boring as fuck too. :D

True, but whether his playing is "boring" or not really boils down to personal opinion. Saying "Warren Haynes is a limited player" is, I think, something that is objectively false, where as "Warren Haynes is boring" is more subjective. My wife, for example, loves Steve Vai, where as I (apart from his work with Zappa) am not really into him. Then again, what do I know from boring, I'm the only Red House Painters fan on the board ...

well perhaps, you should take a look at what else warren does. Jimmy Herring is more of my kind of player. Still I have seen people on here trash talking him. That's too bad. Vai and Satch are different guys, they rip for the sake fo ripping and how they do so and it's not for everyone. I saw G3 when they were in Toronto and once in a while to see a human play a guitar like that is fucked. DID NOT like malmstein, a serious wanker, but talented none the less, otherwise he wouldn't be there. Now check out buckethead, he can do his fair share of wnaking but can do anything else. Check him out man.

what else exactly does Warren do? i'm not sure what you're referring too. Herring and Haynes are both great players(herring moreso) but neither of them can write a song to save their lives. jimmy is pretty much a hired gun exclusively and Haynes is about the same. there are probably hundreds of studio musicians who play at that level.