Jambands.ca

Dell Computers...

rubberdinghy

RubberDinghy:

Go to the website at www.redbell.ca . It's a small computer company in Toronto.

Email the people there, and tell them about the computer that interests you. They will probably offer to build a similar computer, but they won't use low-quality parts (as is often the case with the bigger names) and they can often do it at a comparable price.

Redbell won't steer you wrong. (I'm using a Redbell Systems computer right now. See how well it works?)

I really like my Dell Laptop, it's quick, reliable, and does not give me any grief. We are always downloading music, TV shows, and other stuff, never any problems... unless we don't defrag it.

I've heard a lot of people on this board speaking(typing) badly about Dell's(primarily that they just heard they are bad), but I think those claims are unwarranted. Like I said, I really like my Dell and I would buy another one!

No moniter...Unfortunatly I already purchased prior to reading your post StoneMtn...It's for me mum, so I am not too worried about it...It comes with a one year warranty which is all she was concerned about...I think it'll do the job...10 minutes of surfing here, send some photos there...the usual nonsense...

Dimension 2400 Series P4 Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.60GHz, 400 FSB)

Memory 256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

Keyboard Dell Quietkey® Keyboard

Monitor No monitor

Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics

Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Mouse Dell Optical USB Mouse

Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Modem 56K PCI Telephony Modem

CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 48x CD-RW Drive

48CDRW

Sound Card Integrated Audio

Speakers No speakers

Do NOT get a Dell.

I am going be in the market for a new laptop soon.

Every computer I've owned has been slapped together by me, and held together (figuratively) with duct tape.

I want something brand new and factory assembled.

Booche, could you or anyone else expand on the "Do NOT get a Dell" comment? I've heard that from a few people but have not heard any reasons.

Edited by Guest
lameness

I'll say it again; I'm happily content with the performance of my dell inspirion 4150!

i've had it for almost 3 years now; the motherboard just recently croaked, but my waranty was still good and Dell replaced it in lickity split so I'm good to go for another run!!

my only beef is the battery's lame duration (but it appears almost every laptop has this prob).

i went thru Dell Hell recently- had an olderish one, optiplex gx 200 and the power supply went on it. i should backtrack for a moment and mention that i'd bought it used.

so just a power supply right? simple fix, only it turns out the power supply is proprietary- no generic ones fit it as the pins are a different setup.

long and short is that Dell wants $180 + taxes and shipping for the power supply and had no idea how long it would take to find one (most power supplies run about $30, easy to find). oh yes and it took about 6 calls to get to that point and no-one locally had the part

one the other hand i've heard that businesses like them because the warranty, when intact, is great but once it expires, look out