Jambands.ca

Hail to the Thief

bouche

Well, I'm sure Radiohead didn't have much say in this, but EMI made the new Hail to the Thief CD "Copy Controlled".

I just started the practice of copying my new CD's right away and storing the original, so I wouldnt' be able to do that.

Also, it won't play properly in standard media players on Windows and when you put the disc in your PC, it pops-up it's own player. WTF? Media players these days catalog all of your discs. Now you can't even use those features?

I wonder how many 'standard' CD players won't be able to play the disc? If I had bought it, I'd probably return it and say that I can't play it in anything.

To me, that seems to be a deterrant to purchase the disc.

Guest Low Roller

It also seems to be against the whole Radiohead motis operandi. But, I'm sure you're right, Bouche, and that the band had nothing to say about this.

With Pearl Jam recently leaving their music label, and using the internet to promote their music directly, one can only wonder how long until bands like Radiohead decide to do the same.

well supposedly you are supposed to 'fight the system' and take back the cd...but really.

do this:

(from another usegroup when this first came out...)

If you look at the bottom of your CD, you can see that about half a centimeter from the CD's outside edge, there is what appears to be "session seperation line." Everything after that line is your normal audio CD, everything before that, up to the edge of the CD, is the "copy protection."

Solution? Take a bit of scotch tape, colour it black, and stick it so it reaches from the outside edge of the CD, right up to where the copy protection ends and the 'normal' part of the CD begins. It can and should only be a tiny piece - don't need to tape the *whole* copy protection area away ;p

Guest Low Roller

Where do I begin a review of an album that I would consider nearly flawless?

As much as I love the euphoric feeling when Phish is locked in a jam, Radiohead brings to light certain other emotions that tend to be concealed deeper inside: fear, despair, isolation, hope.

With Phish I'm compelled to close my eyes, smile and dance. With Radiohead I can't help but look around my environment and do some soul searching. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's definitely a different space I'm in when I listen to Radiohead.

Radiohead have been known to push the envelope with their music constantly trying to reinvent their sound, yet somehow maintaining the distinctive Radiohead sound.

'Hail To The Thief' is a perfect amalgamation of Radiohead's previous offerings, with song arrangements rivaling OK computer, the experiementation of the Kid A sessions, a slight wink to The Bends, and a very dark demenour that would fit perfectly as a soundtrack to CNN Nightly News.

The album is filled with gems. In fact there are only a couple of songs that I didn't get into on first listen.

Songs like "Backdrifts", "Where I End And You Begin", and "A Punchup At A Wedding" are already among my favorite all-time Radiohead songs.

well on the topic of the album itself:

IT FUCKING ROCKS!

The first song '2+2=5' hit me like a fucking wave, my jaw dropped and i started laughing, sitting on the school bus. I can't say that thief is their best album, but I cant say that for any of their albums. But they did definately reach their incredible standard once again. unfortunately a guy on my bus let me listen to just for the duration of the ride, but the 5 songs i heard + There There which i saw the video for a week ago are more than enough to get me by. if you havent heard it, check it out!!!

Guest Low Roller

You are correct Punk. There are several websites dedicated to "Hail To The Thief" before Radiohead even announced it as the title of the disc.

Run a search on Google and see what you get.

About the title "Hail To The Thief"

They originally called it "The Gloaming", but then decided to give it a double-title and added Hail To The Thief. Apparantly some old Elizabethan plays used to always have 2 titles, so they borrowed the idea. I originally thought the new title was a shot at Kazaa users, but it's actually a reference to George W Hitler-Bush for obvious reasons. I thought that was cool.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

The album is filled with gems. In fact there are only a couple of songs that I didn't get into on first listen.

Songs like "Backdrifts", "Where I End And You Begin", and "A Punchup At A Wedding" are already among my favorite all-time Radiohead songs.

I totally agree, I've been listening to a burned copy of this for a couple of months, but still went out and bought the album the other day....and it hasn't stopped playing since I got it...

I love "sit down, stand up", "punchdrunk" and I really totally love "sail to the moon"....they are so ethereal, sad, and sexy....

Definetly a cd to shag to! hahah!

[Wink]

Archived