Jambands.ca

what makes a masterpiece?

bouche

Read this and help me to understand how the following quote can make any sense.

"I can’t find a weak track, and I’m confident the album will be hailed a masterpiece on its November 14 release."

Geez, every track samples/steals from someone else's song. ARGH! Ollie figures that she paid for the article.

I heard that Hung Up track on the cbc the other day. As a big fan of electronic music, I must say that Hung Up is one of the worst remixes I've ever heard.

It is bunk and I cannot believe she would put it out on an album.

cheers to you for actually giving her a chance. i can't hit the off button fast enough on the rare occasions i hear her on the radio.

her appearance on the simpsons, however, was classic...the queen drops reckless driving charges against homer if the simpsons agree to take madonna back to america. the last scene of her hauled through the airport in a sack cracks me up..."but oym eanglish!!!"

Edited by Guest
dam lak of speeling abiltie

Madonna has produced some of the most vital and important pop music of the past 25 years. While I think this review suffers from obvious hyperbole, underestimate her at your own risk.

Yeah, underestimate her and risk......uh....risk....er....um, risk getting an online tonguelashing from MarcO!! You don't want none of that!!

;)

Madonna has produced some of the most vital and important pop music of the past 25 years. While I think this review suffers from obvious hyperbole, underestimate her at your own risk.

And just when I was about to take your advice and listen to that Ryan Adams album.

I think anytime an artist with more than 20 years experience under their belt make an album that still resonates with the general public or at the very least doesn't totally blow, it is hailed as their best in years or worse, a masterpiece. Who knows? Maybe it is that good to Madonna fans but MarcO is right on the hyberbole thing.

What really pisses me off is the misuse of the word. A masterpiece, at least to my understanding, means the best work of one's career. While I consider Highway 61 Revisited to be an unbelievably good album, I consider Blonde on Blonde to be his masterpiece. When Love and Theft came out, so too did the masterpiece label. Even if you go by the alternate definition of the word, that being an outstanding achievement, I don't think it rated that high. He is back. He's got some good songs and a kick-ass band. It was a great piece of Americana. But masterpiece? It will have to get in line.

Abbey Road is a masterpiece. Led Zeppelin IV is a masterpiece. Dark Side of the Moon a masterpiece. Or is it The Wall? Geez, now I gotta go fight with myself. Ciao.

1. Tangled Up In Blue

2. Simple Twist Of Fate

3. You're A Big Girl Now

4. Idiot Wind

5. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

6. Meet Me In The Morning

7. Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts

8. If You See Her, Say Hello

9. Shelter From The Storm

10. Buckets Of Rain

Of course this is only my opinion.

1. Tangled Up In Blue

2. Simple Twist Of Fate

3. You're A Big Girl Now

4. Idiot Wind

5. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

6. Meet Me In The Morning

7. Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts

8. If You See Her, Say Hello

9. Shelter From The Storm

10. Buckets Of Rain

Of course this is only my opinion.

yeah, that is pretty much the definiton of "masterpiece".

good one, Greg!

I suprised myself by really liking about four or five Madonna singles in a row during the '90s. "Ray of Light" was a great song, as was "Music" and a few others in there. She also blew a lot of doors wide open for other artists, and many of her videos were stellar.

It's just a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff, I guess. But then, wookies have always had a difficult time appreciating a good pop song.