Jambands.ca

Roll call: Toronto shows November 9 & 12 - NMAS / Franti / Soulive

StoneMtn

Alright, well I'm coming to Toronto, and while I'm there I plan to see some good music. I'm also hoping to meet a few of you that I don't already know (and perhaps see a few that I do know).

So.... who can I expect to see at the following:

Nov. 9 North Mississippi All Stars @ Lee's Palace

Nov. 12 Michael Franti @ Bloor Cinema

Nov. 12 Soulive @ El Mocambo

I'll be at NMAS with Carstairs, and the other two with Velvet and Phorbesie. Who else can I expect to see? C'mon Skancs!

Hey StoneMtn,

I would love to finally meet you, but alas I'll be heading over to Grantham, PA to see Jeff Tweedy that weekend.

Just to let you know November 12, is Neil Young's 60th Birthday if you feel like celebrating, especially since you'll be in the city in which he was born.

Tim

GTB's at the Rivoli on the 10th?

I think I'll listen to some of their recent shows/tunes; and consider it.

I might come out to that one, too; although I'm a bit skeptical after all I've heard about their "new" sound and apparently new negative attitude toward the "jam scene". That said, I'll have to make up my mind for myself.

(I've already skipped two of their Whistler shows, but maybe this time.)

In for NMAS

lots of stuff going on the 10th and 11th as well.

:: 11/10/05 :: Thursday

Grand Theft Bus

Rivoli Toronto, ON

* Pat McGee Band

Kool Haus Toronto, ON

* Joel Plaskett Emergency

* Kathleen Edwards

The Phoenix Toronto, ON

* Immaculate Machine

Cameron House Toronto, ON

* Warriors 4 Peace

Epicure Cafe Toronto, ON

:: 11/11/05 :: Friday

* Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

Horseshoe Tavern Toronto, ON

* Queens of the Stone Age

Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON

* Andrew Bird

* Head of Femur

Revival Toronto, ON

* Immaculate Machine

O'Grady's Toronto, ON

* Bell Orchestre

Music Hall Theater Toronto, ON

Edited by Guest

I dunno, personally I think GTB are amazing. I only starting going to their shows after they had "changed" their sound. I guess what people were refering to is that they used to play more dancy electronica style live music, then moved to a poppier, more song oriented sound. They still play both types, in my experience they tend to start the show with shorter tunes, and later move to longer, dancier jams. anyway, I think their songwriting is excellent and if they wanted to, they could cross over to the pop world and easily release some of their tunes as singles. just my opinion.

I might go to one or two of these shows, but if i do, i need a guarantee in writing from you, stonemtn, that we will actually meet this time. After the herbaliser show, i'm not too sure that you even exist. :)

[color:purple]Sari found me out. I'm really just Velvet's alter-ego ;) .

Which show are you thinking of hitting Sari? If you know Velvet and phorbesie (as I think you do) I'll be the guy with them at Franti and Soulive. Do you also know (the elusive) Carstairs? I'll be the much shorter, uglier person next to him at NMAS.

I also want to meet the rest of you who've replied so far (or will be replying soon) so if you don't know Velvet, phorbesie, or Carstairs you may have to PM me to work this out.

deranger: I'm listening to GTB right now from Montreal earlier this month. I agree; this is still some good stuff! (... and Canadian; which goes a long way with me.)