Jambands.ca

Does Wade Redden really suck?

ollie

All the bluster that the Leaf fans at work can muster this morning is to criticize Wade Redden for not having a point in last night's game. Even the neutral fans are chiming in in agreement. I don't watch hockey at an analytical level so I don't have much of a comeback. All I know is that he currently leads the league in plus-minus, makes all-star teams, makes Team Canada and is talked about as a coveted player in the league. Where does he get his bad reputation among fans and is it deserved?

A. Leafs fans are stupid

B. Neutral fans don't count...and are stupid too.

Wade Redden is a great all around d-man...Things have changed in Ottawa, and the league, that don't require him to jump up into the play anymore...Ottawa has goal scorers now! Ottawa is definately playing a different game with Murray as a head coach too...You don't see the D jumping into the play that often anymore, and will score alot of assists on those long lead passes...

And...that's just my opinion...I may be wrong...and if I am, I am sure booche will point it out!

A. Leafs fans are stupid

B. Neutral fans don't count...and are stupid too.

Wade Redden is a great all around d-man...Things have changed in Ottawa, and the league, that don't require him to jump up into the play anymore...Ottawa has goal scorers now! Ottawa is definately playing a different game with Murray as a head coach too...You don't see the D jumping into the play that often anymore, and will score alot of assists on those long lead passes...

And...that's just my opinion...I may be wrong...and if I am, I am sure booche will point it out!

I think your bang on

I don't usually give the opinions of Leafs fans much thought... Redden is a good player, I hated him for so long for his giveaway to NJ in game seven. But then I learned it maybe wasn't him after all, so it was more of an irrational hate. So I've dispensed with that now and I like him again.

Maybe the Leafs fans are jealous of his rugged good looks and boyish charm.

AD

One of things you miss watching hockey on TV (and even moreso soccer) is how the play develops up ice. Redden is one of - if not the best - in the league at making that first, break out pass. He can contribute offensively when needed, but his game is all about getting the break out started.

Yeah, where Redden is at his best is getting the puck in his zone, making one or two moves to get away from a defender and to reverse the flow, and this allows him to find an guy on the fly with an edge (direction, step) on his defender. Anyone who recalls Magnus Arvedson and all his breakaway chances, and Hossa and his chances has seen Reddens work at his finest. Gotta love the plus/minus, most important stat in hockey.

• 4 weeks later...