Jambands.ca

Now updated with review at the end: Ernest G Anastasio/ Leafs In Buffalo

scottieking

Both could rule, Both could suck... I believe I stated before but in the end it was worse. Both were just mediocre.

Trey Review

Air Said To Me

Push On 'Til The Day

Spin

Drifting

Wherever You Find It

Shine

The Way I Feel

Money, Love and Change

Possum@

Inlaw Josie Wales@

Catapult@

McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters@

Bathtub Gin@

Runaway Jim@

Sleep Again@

Bug@

Alive Again >

Cincinnati >

Low

Ether Sunday

Come As Melody

Encore:

Tuesday

Key

*played over the PA as the band entered the stage.

@Trey solo acoustic.

Overall, it's always good to check out a show. It was good to see Trey. As for his band, I do not like 70 Volt parade. Skeeto knows two fills; a full 4 bar roll and a one minute double kick barrage. Skeeto, lay off the double kick. Tony Hall good. Ray, great. But who the fuck is Les Hall and how do I apply for his job, which appears to be play a few notes on piano, light cigarette, rock out a few more notes, finish cigarette, leave keyboards mid song, perform heavy metal guitar moves and then weakly underpin Trey's riffs. The girls, not great, not bad.

The first part of the show got me moving a couple of times but I don't like the new swing part in Push Until the Day. The new tunes, well, umm, I just can't get into them. They are poorly crafted IMO. Bring on the acoustic set.

Remember how I earlier stated that I hoped I got those goosebumps like 99? I did. And more. And then I got a Catapult and a McGrupps. And then I got sad. Because this is one thing Trey didn't want to become and he did. A nostalgia act. All I wanted was the band back. PS Guess I should have gone to Utica for that.

The rest of the show had my favorite 70 Volt moment in Cincinati, followed very quickly by being impressed and then just overwhelmed by the heaviness, to the point were I ceased to enjoy it. The rest of the set was weak and encore not so good.

It honestly felt like Trey, after the acoustic set, just couldn't let go of the sentimentality of the acoustic set, in which he paid tribute to many of his former collaborators. And as Phish once prided themselves on the hose, the hard edged attack of most of Trey's builds in the jams felt more like a fire hose, no interaction just attack. I left feeling like I would love to see Trey again, but I will never see a 70 Volt Parade show again. Did not float my boat.

Leafs/Sabres

What a rush going to enemy territory and seeing more Leafs jerseys than the home team. Unfornately, we could not stay out of the penalty box. And as much as I would like to blame the loss on Berg as usual, Klee was worse. Jason Allison may be the fattest man in hockey, something you don't really pick up on TV but live, his ass is so fat. And Eddie, you crazy wandering fool ultimately coughed up 2 pucks, one of which lead to the GWG. A fun experience however, again, merely mediocre.

Edited by Guest

I'm rather surprised he played a McGrupp's and Catapult- has he done either before solo?

Trey was having a lot of fun during his acoustic set, and if I picked up on things correctly, he played both of those in response to requests shouted out by the audience. As for the rest of his acoustic set, The Possum was fun, the Inlaw Josie Wales was sweet, and the rest of his set made some Phish phans very happy, and others longing for a renunion. I enjoyed it, but was not that impressed with Trey's acoustic guitar playing. To be honest, I've seen many players that have impressed me as much or more.

The solo acoustic set was fun and enjoyable, but didn't justify the price of the ticket, in my opinion. As I mentioned in another thread, I enjoyed the show, as it was good, but it wasn't anything spectacular, and I agree with scottieking when he said that he was "... impressed and then just overwhelmed by the heaviness, to the point were I ceased to enjoy it." Actually, I don't know if I was overwhelmed, or just feeling bored after a while. It was heavy, but it was boring after a while ... a lack of tastefully placed notes, and not enough groove to keep the audience moving.

Hopefully Trey will will continue to evolve/change musically, because if he doesn't, I won't have any big desire to see him for the forseeable future.

Peace, Mark

Isn't Trey allowed to have a couple bad shows? Especially since he has just started playing with this band a couple months ago?!? God knows Jerry never had bad shows!! Obviously this perticular show wasn't the best but have you listened to the tracks up at nugs.net..I dare you to listen to Dark and Down or Money, Love and Change and tell me that Trey is washed up!!!

Edited by Guest

Isn't Trey allowed to have a couple bad shows? Especially since he has just started playing with this band a couple months ago?!? God knows Jerry never had bad shows!! Obviously this perticular show wasn't the best but have you listened to the tracks up at nugs.net..I dare you to listen to Dark and Down or Money, Love and Change and tell me that Trey is washed up!!!

I don't think that he is washed up at all. It's just that personally I'm not that interested in this particular direction that he has headed in with his music. I am confident that his music will continue to evolve and change - hopefully in a direction that once again greatly interests me.

Let's put it this way, I thought he put on a good show, but nothing great, and Trey Anastasio has moved further down my list of bands/musicians that I really want to see. This could change in the future for me, as it has for other bands and musicians, but that's the way I feel right now.

On a positive note about the concert, I never realized how talented Ray Paczkowski is, even after seeing him with Vorcza at the Come Together Fest. We were sitting right in front of him at the Trey show and wow, I was extremely impressed with his playing and energy.

Peace, Mark

I wasn't just talking about Jerry, every good guitar player hit bad patches (especially when they get off drugs) Hopefully Trey will bounce back and crush all this negativity.

The answer seems simple to me - get Trey back on drugs... As long as it's not Oxys or heroin we should be OK...