Jambands.ca

First Songs You Ever Learned on Guitar?

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I teach guitar and bass for a living heres a couple ideas anyways. Definetly get a basic idea of the popular tunes among the age group you will be dealing with. If it's kids you're best to go with:

Ac/Dc!!!!!!

Green Day

(including look-a-likes ie. Good Charlotte etc.)

Led Zeppelin

Basic Hendrix

(EEEKKK!) Avril Lavigne for the girls.

Iron man/Smoke on the Water (obviously!)

12 bar blues concepts

Minor pentatonic box scales

But definetly ask at your first meeting if the students have any song/band favourites. Some kids don't, so be prepared for that as well. Good luck

In case you were responding to me...I'm serious. The next cd I buy will be an Avril cd.

That's the thing - you teach and you get exposed to stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Sometimes the stuff sticks. Before I started teaching I never listened to Nirvana, now I would list them as one of my favourite bands.

That's the thing - you teach and you get exposed to stuff you wouldn't normally listen to. Sometimes the stuff sticks. Before I started teaching I never listened to Nirvana, now I would list them as one of my favourite bands.

This has always been a great thing for pushing my musical envelope, which tends by its own nature to be a bit involuted and inbred. Having almost never listened to top-40 radio since high school, I not only really need to be forced to hear something I'd otherwise try hard to avoid, but like you say, have been pleasantly surprised from time to time (it was a student lending me a copy of Nirvana Unplugged that made me sit up and listen to them more seriously).

This is such a great list of songs, genres, and idioms here, folks - thanks, everybody!

No doubt some kids would show up with a strong enough sense of what they wanted to pull off, but a lot won't, and will need to be nudged with some good ideas. I figure I can keep one set tune per session (something technically relevant), but leave it open otherwise.

Just as long as none of them want to play "Corina".