Jambands.ca

First Songs You Ever Learned on Guitar?

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I'm cobbling together a curriculum for guitar lessons for wee ones in the area via our local community centre, and am scratching my head trying to think of a) what the first songs were that I ever learned, and B) whether those have any bearing on what pre-teens listen to (or have ever listened to, come to think about it). I think I've now got some good ideas nailed down, but am curious about where other people got started.

My first guitar book, at 8 years old, was The Standard Guitar Method. I remember learning a bunch of scales and the folk song "Tom Dooley", among others. Here's the only pic I could find, but I only ever used the first two volumes:

HL-50393990.GIF

From there, I started learning the chords and melody lines to various oldies; "When I'm 64" and Elvis' "Good Luck Charm" were among the first. Johnny B. Goode, Peggy Sue and Surfin Safari were also in there. After that, I vividly remember learning the 12-bar blues structure, learning about tonic and dominant 7th, etc. That was a huge thing to learn, and it still helps me today. I only took lessons until I was 12, and after that it was all self-teaching.

Seriously though, if you're looking to do it without a book, start with the Beatles. Hopefully anybody with even a mild interest in playing the guitar has an appreciation for the Beatles. I'd recommend getting your students to buy little dictation books though, and bringing a box of golf pencils to each class, so they can remember stuff. Because we all know that the secret to good guitar playing is practice. I was always the kid showing up for lessons not having practiced, and the teacher always knows. Half the time he'd make me sit there and do my practicing in the lesson, because you can't progress if you haven't practiced.

ISTR learning "Communication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin early on (for which I learned barre chords, which I think is a very good thing), along with "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream, and "Day Tripper" by The Beatles (when I played the main riff of that tune the first or second time correctly, my brother came rusing into my room, proclaiming, "I recognize that!"). The main book I used at that time was "Improvising Rock Guitar".

Aloha,

Brad

ask the kids what they listen to and what songs they'd like to learn how to play. Teaching them tunes they're unfamiliar with might be unproductive.

This has been my experience, and I know from learning myself that I have to like the song well enough to have it rolling around in my head all day and still like it. Last student I had was a huge Tupac Shakur nut, which meant that all we ever really got to work with was little figures you could play on one string, which would of course be looped. He later, of course, went on to fall in love with Dylan two years after we'd discontinued lessons (I wonder to this day if he would have had I forced the Dylan on him).

Baby Bitch - Ween (Em, G, D, Am)

Rosemary - Lenny Kravitz (A, G, D)

Southern Cross - CSN (G, D, A and i think there's a Bm in there too)

Wheat Kings - Tragically Hip (G, C, D)

All open chords basically.

Dirt by Phish is a really easy but cool sounding first song too, long as you get the strum down. Throw in some whistling and you're a genius.

***disclaimer*** for those of you that don't like me playing Phish songs, FUCK YOU!

well thanks to Velvet(awesome guitar teacher)I learned D DSus Dsus D (e?)....free falling by Tom Petty...and no thanks to me thats as far as I've gotten...by now I should be well into I get by with a little help...

Velvet I've given myself one month to get back on the train or I have to give the guitar back to the 7 year old who lent it to me. :P

"I was alone" off Dookie

I learned mostly simple three or four chord songs at first. When I finally took a Jazz course I was blown away at how much more fun the Guitar could be. The first Song I learned then was "Chitlans Con Carne" by Kenny Burrell. It was at that point that I wished I had learned a more complicated style at first, as it would have made evrything else easier, as opposed to well, more difficult. If that makes any sense...