Jambands.ca

Dub Side of the Moon

thatpatguy

Has anyone heard this record yet?

It's a dub/reggae cover of Dark Side of the Moon.. and believe it or not, it's really good.

It's done by a bunch of guys calling themselves The Easy Star All-Stars. Here is the write up on allmusic.com:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781CDD49AF7220D4932B64DDBC72E619DF57FD9B076E495AD1A9654C983C5DD377FA95CCB0E577B666ADFF2EA1160ED3C0EE5FF6DE622D4CF0&sql=10:hr67mpnk9f2o

Anyway.. if you are into dub I suggest you try and find a copy, it's super mellow and trippy, the way good dub should be.

f73259intu6.jpg

Yeah man, I've been loving it for a couple years now too. I think I read that Easy-Star is a Reggae label in NYC, and the people appearing on the album are all kinds of folks on their roster, hence the moniker. I think it's a great dub record and more than a party trick, but if I had been producing I would have done a few of the tracks a little differently, particularly the beginning of Brain Damage. I love the patois toast in place of the Money guitar solo, there a lot of other cool dubwise on the album.

ok ok.. so I was a bit late on picking this album up.. :)

but still.. good album.. and hopefully there was someone who read this thread that didn't know it existed and will go pick it up..

TheGoodRev.. here is some info on the Easy Star All-Stars, courtesy of allmusic.com

New York City's Michael G. (born Michael Goldwasser) and Ticklah (born Victor Axelrod) are the two longtime friends who form the Easy Star All-Stars. Goldwasser had been playing guitar with the R&B band Special Request, but after five active years the band broke up. Around this time, the guitarist turned his attention to reggae and formed the Easy Star All-Stars with former Special Request keyboardist Ticklah. Ticklah had been gigging with Cooly's Hot Box, worked with DJ Spinna and Dr. Israel, and created remixes for Les Nubians and Mary J. Blige. The first release under the Easy Star All-Stars banner came in 1997 with the team's production on Rob Symeonn's "Anything for Jah" single, and a collection of their productions, Easy Star, Vol. 1, appeared in 1998. Working with Brooklyn sound system Twin Sound, the two organized three tribute concerts to Augustus Pablo in 1999 and backed the likes of Sugar Minott, the Meditations, and Sister Carol on-stage and in the studio. In 2003 the duo released Dub Side of the Moon, their reggae/dub version of Pink Floyd's most famous album.

How well does it sync up with "The Wizard Of Oz"?

Aloha,

Brad

This is crazy, but even when I posted the last message, I totally forgot that I actually have the album in my bag as we speak. I lent it to a friend in Toronto months ago and just got it back this past weekend. There is a line in the liner notes about synching with WoO, and I can now give it to you word-for-word:

To view with The Wizard of Oz, pause this CD at 0:00, start The Wizard of Oz on your DVD or VCR, and unpause as the MGM Lion roars for the third time. Check easystar.com for a listing of the synchronistic moments we've discovered and let us know of any others you find.