Jambands.ca

No Phil news from Albany?

TheGoodRev

I thought there were a few heading out that way? Heard from my brother at about a quarter to midnight last night, he was just leaving the show and heading back to Kingston with his buddies. He said he absolutely couldn't believe Scofield, he was incredible, especially during Eyes. Setlist:

Set 1:

Just Another Whistle Stop> Jam>

Loose Lucy

Friend Of The Devil>

Big River

The Stranger(Two Souls In Communion)> Jam>

Birdsong> Jam>

Cold Rain & Snow

Set 2:

US Blues

Sitting On Top Of The World

Jam> The Wheel> Jam>

Eyes Of The World>

I Know You Rider

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away>

All Along The Watchtower> Jam>

Midnight Hour

Donor Rap/Intros

Encore:

Not Fade Away

Onslaught this you dickwads.

Those tapes are going to sound horrendous. I almost guarantee it. They were stuck WAAAAAAAAAAAY at the back and I am assuming they will sound very cavernous. I have never seen a worse spot for the tapers, but at the same time, there was no where else to put them.

I will review this with pics later.

[color:purple]The show was complete shit.

Edit to add: Based on the comments from that link, some are thinking this source sounds good so what do I know.

Edited by Guest

Those tapes are going to sound horrendous. I almost guarantee it. They were stuck WAAAAAAAAAAAY at the back and I am assuming they will sound very cavernous. I have never seen a worse spot for the tapers, but at the same time, there was no where else to put them.

I completely agree with this. I was really confused when I walked in, at the farthest point from the stage, and noticed that that was where the mics were set up. From what I understand, there are hardly ever shows at this venue (which would be evidenced by the brutal entry and beer line procedures), so I suppose they simply didn't know where to put the tapers.

As for the show itself: I could take or leave the first set (although we arrived late, during Friend of the Devil), which seemed flat and pretty uninspired to me. The second set, however, is a whole different story.

From Eyes right to the end, the energy level was through the roof. Scofield, who was reading off of charts most of the show, really cut loose in the second half of the set, and was an absolute monster by the end of Watchtower. Honestly, during that one in particular he looked and sounded like 10x the "rock star" anyone else on the stage did, and was ripping up sixteenth notes faster than should be allowed by law. Oh yeah, and seeing him clap along with the crowd during "Not Fade Away" was pretty amusing.

I don't have a whole lot else to add right now. Some of the best energy I've ever seen/heard from a Philesque, post-Jerry show, (and Phil actually mentioned this, saying it was "Just like being back in New York). Definitely looking forward to finding a decent source for this one.

Peace,

Hart

Dont take this the wrong way, but did you hang outside and wait until the last minute to get in like the rest of the stragglers or did you have an issue with parking and got there late? If it is the latter, I feel your pain.

I was shocked at the amount of people milling about when I arrived. What the hell are those people thinking? It was a 7:30 start. Hell, we thought it was a 7:00 start and showed up at 7:05, still needing to pick up our tickets from WILL CALL. We got there much later than I wanted.

Luckily, it only took us ten minutes to get in. 9 mins, 45 seconds to get the ticks.

Phil starts VERY close to the 'showtime'. Hell, those fuckers have a damn clock onstage to keep things in check. If you got caught in that traffic trying to find parking than I feel your pain. If you lolligagged out front with the rest of the lot, then you shouldnt expect anything differently. I have seen this sort of 'crowd' behaviour everywhere from Giant's Stadium to the Palace in Auburn Hills to the Burlington Auditorium.

Loose Lucy

Smoking shit. Wish you were there man. Hell, the final couple of songs in that set were unreal. I, personally, thought the first set was fantastic.

SHIT!

I thought I saw you Jaydawg, but I was relatively sober compared to the other times we have been in the same company. State-dependent learning, eh?

All Along The Watchtower was out of this world. I was shocked at the energy in that room. Anyways, more on that tomorrow.

Dont take this the wrong way, but did you hang outside and wait until the last minute to get in like the rest of the stragglers or did you have an issue with parking and got there late? If it is the latter, I feel your pain.

A little from column A, a little from column B. We had plans to meet up with some friends for a pint before the show, but it took us a ridiculous amount of time to find a parking spot. When we did, we still had to go find our friends, after which we went right to the venue and had a tough time trying to work our way through the masses to head in.

I would never expect to be able to waltz right in to any event with several thousand people, right around the start time, but their ratio of available doors to doors that were actually open seemed a little out of whack.

Whatever, not something I want to focus on at all in light of what a great show it was.

Loose Lucy

Smoking sh!t. Wish you were there man. Hell, the final couple of songs in that set were unreal. I, personally, thought the first set was fantastic.

Yeah, I wish I was there for that, too! I often find it hard to get into a groove when I walk in in the middle of a set, and I think that's what my problem was last night, although the second set more than made up for my botched first set.

Edited by Guest

By the way, for those of you that love the Wheel and assume it was played well, it wasnt. The jam following was complete insanity, but that song hasnt been nailed in a long time. In my mind, it should have been retired once Jerry passed. I've yet to hear anything I have been remotely impressed with and I have heard too many.

"Scofield, who was reading off of charts most of the show, really cut loose in the second half of the set, and was an absolute monster by the end of Watchtower. Honestly, during that one in particular he looked and sounded like 10x the "rock star" anyone else on the stage did, and was ripping up sixteenth notes faster than should be allowed by law"

FUCKING EH!

Sco was insane in Albany. In Buffalo he was just getting comfortable. Byt he time Eyes of the world hit he owned the night.

His outside and abstract space playing was awe-inspiring. There were times wehn Phil and Chris Robinson both looked at him in disbeleif and musically got out of the way.

Big respect to Barry Sless too who really held his own and I think impressed Sco.

Shows of a lifetime for sure. Hope the do it again! :o