Jambands.ca

Whale Watching @ The 'Shoe...

can-o-phish

err...make that Whale Music listening ;) The author, Paul Quarrington, was there to kick things off with a small reading from the book...The Horseshoe was packed like sardines and scents of sweaters from the attic, vanilla, patchouli, smokes and herb drifted through the eager crowd.

The opening act, Great Aunt Ida was a gentle warm-up and Ida had just flown in from Vangroovy yesterday for the show. Two of The Rheos accompanied Ida and delivered some finally crafted tunes...

Highlights for me would have to be the "Recorder & Slide Whistle Duel" during Legal Age Life and Dope Fiends was, pardon the pun, simply smokin'...the stage-lightless performance of The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald came out of the blue, or black and for many in the room, it was thought that this year's "Winter Nationals" was the best run so far...so glad that I caught the show last night and hope that some of you were wedged in the pack too :)

The latest missive from the Rheos mailing list says

I've been lucky enough to see the Rheos probably dozens of times. Last night's show was one for the ages. The setlist should be fun to write out:

Self Serve Gas Station

California Dreamline

Rain, Rain, Rain,

Queer

King of the Past

RDA

Headless One

Legal Age Life

What's Going On Around here?

Shaved Head

Palomar

Guns

Sickening Song

Soul Glue

Beerbash

Who

Dope Fiends and Boozehounds

Encore:

Claire

Song of Flight

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Horses

It looks like the setlist for a show they would've played back in 1992. I might be forgetting one of the encore tracks. Anyone?

It was a crowded stage with Dave Clark, Lewis Melville, and Ford Pier all up there for the whole night. But what a night it was.

Highlights included The Headless One and Who, both of which they haven't played in over 10 years. Dave Clark's improv version of Guns was hilarious. (bass, snare, bass, b-base, snare.) Beerbash rocked as did Dope Fiends where they went off into an Alomar jam (which I think was the newest song they played all night).

They played The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald in the dark. And nailed it before going straight into a rocking version of Horses.

There was a special vibe thruout the night. The crowd was totally into it and you could tell that the guys were enjoying playing these tunes. And it seemed like they had practiced quite a bit.

Next year, Melville Night?

xo

Butterpants

Aloha,

Brad

At least you weren't screaming for "Satan Is The Whistler"... ;)

That's a good tune though... Maybe I'm missing something? I had to leave early from that show due to massive drunkiness. But it could have been me yelling. But I doubt it.

AD

At least you weren't screaming for "Satan Is The Whistler"... ;)

That's a good tune though... Maybe I'm missing something? I had to leave early from that show due to massive drunkiness. But it could have been me yelling. But I doubt it.

AD

No, it wasn't you. (And they did play it, as the second-last tune before the first encore.)

Aloha,

Brad

Fak! I LOVE Quarrington. That book was absolutely hilarious. Where was our roll-call CoP :(

Glad to hear it was packed :)

Oops, sorry LM & SP but I did post on Monday that they would be performing their Whale Music CD in it's entirety on Wednesday...should've bumped it to remind everyone...my apologies :blush:

They have anyone on violin? That's one of my favourite elements in the original.

Nope, no violin Dr. E, but Great Aunt Ida covered Neil's "Razor Love" from "Silver & Gold" and that was as sweet and haunting a version as any violin concerto that I've heard...

Yeah, I'm not rubbing it in but last night's show was fuggin' amazing. The Rheos were just pumped and performing like it was the end of the world...

Sean has great stuff on tape indeed.

the 2002 shows were I think December 13 and 14... If anyone knows JP he has those ones, he was the only taper there...

Blane, I know you for sure taped the November 98 show at Barrymore's, I was there sick as a dog, it was the day after Phish in Albany...

I'll go through my collection tonight and see what I can dig up.

AD