Jambands.ca

******** GO VOTE TODAY!!! *******

MarcO

my current 'housemate' just moved back to ontario to my riding and has no ID with her address on it. So I went with her and vouched for her. We each had to swear or affirm a pledge that she was eligible to vote in the election and a resident of the riding, and that was it. No muss no fuss. You can only vouch for one person in each election, and you have to be residents of the same riding. But it worked like it should.

Any problems at the poll should you decide to take this route just have them call their returning officer.

AD

When I went to pre-register, there were a few phone calls I overheard about what homeless people can do to vote, and apparently, all they need is someone, a map maker, or anyone in their neighborhood to vouch for them.

If the liberals took to the streets and handed out bags of crack, they could really turn this thing around. Like Bush did with the Evangelicals.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. When I got to the church, I smoked a joint on the steps, went inside and hit the bathroom immediately for a quick tug. I proceeded to vote and put a 'check mark' instead of an X.

Holy shit, I put a checkmark too.

Edited to add: Also for the positive connotation.

Checkmark, 'X', fill the circle ... it all counts.

Can a person who is homeless vote?

Yes, an elector who is homeless or without a fixed address can vote, if he or she registers on the voters list during an election. To register, the elector must provide proof of identity and the address where he or she is staying.

Proof of identity can be an official document bearing the elector’s name and signature. For residence, the address of a local shelter is acceptable, if the shelter has provided food, lodging or other social services to the elector.

Without such proof, a person who is homeless can register on election day by taking the prescribed oath as to identity and residence, as long as another voter who is registered in the same electoral district can vouch for that person.

There used to be groups who made a special practice of getting out the homeless vote (ie. The Toronto Disaster Relief Committee). Unfortunately, I think they are few and far between these days.

I dunno about crack, but in Atlantic Canada, giving out a bottle of liquor was standard practice in exchange for a vote. The introduction of a secret ballot sort of killed the old tradition, however.

Anything that gives the homeless a sense of connection with society at large is a good thing, IMO. If you have a homeless friend, vouch for him/her! I'm in Nepean now, but suddenly feel like I should be spending my time in Ottawa Centre ...

hah, i put a big "X"!! it was 'cause of those yellow signs. god i'm a sheep sometimes :P. i hope this doesn't jinx the guy i voted for!

PS - does anyone else have an affinity for the word "hijinks"? i think it's quite underused.

[edit, wow do i ever sound like a big dope after the homeless people posts. sheesh]

Edited by Guest
je suis un bufoon

When I got to the church, I smoked a joint on the steps, went inside and hit the bathroom immediately for a quick tug.......... am I going to hell?

Fucking Catholics.............

naw....only if you use the confessional. C'mon even the priests use the bathroom for that kind of relief!

first time I voted entirely by conscience (rather than 'strategic') in a while!!! feels great!

meggo - hijinks is a good word!

What yellow signs do you mean? The only yellow signs I can think of are the Green Party ones ... do they have a big 'X' on them? (can't picture 'em)

'X' is the standard, anyways. Yeah, I guess you *are* a sheep. :P

(very attractive for a sheep, mind you ...)

hahah.. i mean the "THIS WAY TO VOTE, DUMB-DUMB!" signs at all the polling stations. we had one set up at school so i kept seeing them... big yellow signs with big black "X"s... and arrows... i wonder what would happen if you made an arrow?

a party sign with a big X would be funny though... maybe a sheep, and an X..

Ah! See, my polling station didn't have those. I wandered around Algonquin for awhile, occassionally asking people "Umm. I'm looking for the polling station. Could you tell me where the Residence Centre is?", generally to the reply of: "Polling station? There's one here?"

I found it by luck. Definately no big yellow signs. Sean left several hours ago to go vote ... and still hasn't returned. I think he's lost -- and he *goes* to that school.