Jambands.ca

******** GO VOTE TODAY!!! *******

MarcO

Right now, today, millions of people around the world are struggling through life and death situations in order to give themselves and their children the right to choose their own government.

Don't squander your opportunity or relinquish your duty. Cast your vote! It's a celebration bitches!!!

This Public Service Has Been Brought To You By The Friends of Shainhouse Group.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What MarcO said. And make sure it's today -- not that anyone here would be likely to fall for it, but Elections Canada is reporting fraudulent emails telling people that the polls will be open through the 24th.

More troubling still are reports that some campaign literature is giving incorrect information about polling stations. So if you don't have a voter registration card with your polling information on it, better to get your information here rather than trust anything you are getting from the parties themselves. Especially if you are in Simcoe North, Barrie, Burlington, or Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale.

Be very careful: there's actually a "Progressive Canadian" party now, and, on the ballots, they're tagged as "PC". They don't like this, as they're sure people will confuse them with the (now defunct) Progressive Conservative party.Brad

Who's the "they". If it's the Progressive Canadians, wouldn't they welcome these accidental votes?

I tried to find the story, but can't, so here's what I remember: the head of the party actually doesn't want any "accidental" votes, preferring people to know the difference between PC and CPC, and vote the way they want. The assignment of the "PC" tag to them was done by (IIRC) Elections Canada, and the PC party had no say in it.

Aloha,

Brad

Hmm. That may be the case -- my impression has always been that the party was founded by disgruntled former Progressive Conservatives who opposed the merger, but were restricted from using the "Progressive Conservative" brand. They may be sincere in not wanting accidental votes (ie. they want to highlight the fact that the new CPC is not the old Progressive Conservative party), or they may just say that they don't want accidental votes in order to ward off complaints from the CPC.

All I know for sure is that they are running an Elvis impersonating reverend (Dorian Baxter aka "Elvis Priestly") in Belinda Stronach's riding.

:laugh:

I'm actually working as a poling clerk today, things are a little slow right now. I'm surfing on my phone to pass the time.

One thing that is pretty interesting is that there were way more political signs for the last municipal election, compared to this election. Of course there were 11 candidates in the municipal election in this area 2 years ago.

A couple of times, when voters names are not on the list, they seem to blame the current gov't saying.. 'It's time for a change, if they can't even remember me!'

There are 6 parties running in this area, Conservatives, NDP, Liberals, Communist, Marxist-Leninist and the Green Party

I've processes about 100 votes today, we're here for another 9 hours, then we count by hand. It's been a great experience, meeting all the new neighbours.

Don't forget to do your democratic duty!

According to

http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=faq&document=faqvoting〈=e&textonly=false#voting26

All employees who are qualified electors, that is, those who are 18 years of age or older and Canadian citizens on polling day, are entitled to three consecutive hours on polling day for the purpose of casting their ballots. If an employee’s hours of work do not allow him or her three consecutive hours to vote, the employer must allow him or her sufficient time off to allow three consecutive hours for that purpose.

Aloha,

Brad

Martin, Harper and Layton are flying on the Executive Airbus to a gathering in British Columbia when Martin turns to Harper and says, chuckling, "You know, I could throw a $1000 bill out the window right now and make someone very happy."

Harper shrugs and replies, "Well, I could throw ten $100 bills out the window and make ten people happy."

Not to be outdone, Layton says, "Well, I could throw a hundred $10 bills out the window and make a hundred people happy."

The pilot rolls his eyes and says to his co-pilot, "Such arrogant asses back there. Hell, I could throw all three of them out the window and make 32 million people happy."

Just got back from the polling station. What a mess! It was at the college (Algonquin) and I saw a number of students just giving up in frustration because they couldn't figure out what was going on and nobody was very helpful. People kept asking "where do I get my card?" thinking that the voter registration card was necessary to exchange for a ballot, etc..

I had to register at the poll because I haven't lived at my present address long. So I register, get my ballot and do my thing, bring it back to stuff in the box, etc..

There are two polling clerks at the table where I registered and stuffed my ballot. The older one says to the pretty young one, "ask him". The young one blushes and hedges. "Ask him", the older one insists. I'm thinking 'Seriously? Is the fackin poll clerk going to ask me for my telephone number? This ain't right ...'. Turns out they couldn't figure out the bottom part of the registration form ('Tick this box if you do not want to be added to the national voter's registry' etc..) and needed to be walked through it. Ack! In our cities. In Canada. I am not making this up. :)

Got ants in my pants for tonight!