Jambands.ca

Need help with a radio show !!

Scarlet Begonia

Hey everyone,

I have been invited to be a guest on a Radio show in Peterborough and the interviewer has asked me to compile a list of questions they could ask me which would increase awareness in my field, which is Massage Therapy.

I would really like to hear what sorts of questions any of you have which will help me to narrow in on the key concepts people are interested in knowing.

Also if anyone is currently or has previously been involved in treatment and would like to share their "testimonials" please do.

Thanks so much,

;)

If a waiter/tress developed thoracic nerve outlet syndrome could he/she apply for disability with a note from a Registered Massage Therapist? ;)

or should one just give a number on LSD consumption? :P

okay....what are the most common disorders and what is the best routes of treatment?...um how long should it take for me to unhinge my thoracic nerves from my rawhide muscles?

I guess if the aim is to convince people who never tried MT to give it a try, then speaking about the length and breadth of your study might be helpful. I'm always amazed at my therapist being able to name off muscle groups and explain what they attach to/do, etc, so I'm guessing you guys study ALOT of anaotmoy (could you compare this to what a family MD would study?)

Maybe you could also draw the distinction between massage for purposes of relaxation (what I've always used it for) and for therapy/recovery. My car insurance is paying for both physiotherapy and massage therapy after my car accident, so obvioulsy that industry believes in/sees the value in MT as a healing tool for soft tissue damage.

anyway...good luck and have fun with it!!!

Ok thanks for the input, I'll use these as practice answers for the questions and please let me know if they are unclear of if you need more info.

1) Swedish vs. Shiatsu

- Swedish massage is an out dated term (although everyone still uses it) it is compiled of mostly general long sweeping motions. In a Massage Therapy course we learn "modern†techniques too, like myofascial release techniques and Trigger Point Therapy. Myo refers to muscle and Fascial refers to the covering over the muscle which is the same as that layer of "sub skin" on chicken when you peel away the top layer. The fascial system covers the whole body and hence if one area becomes adhered to another movement is impaired and pain begins, if you don't break up the areas that are stuck it will spread to involve more tissues.

With Trigger Point Therapy we look for areas where the muscle has formed a "knot". The definition of a Trigger Point is "a hyperirritable spot within a tight band of tissue". When normal muscle contraction occurs the fibers move towards each other and when they relax they move apart when there is a knot and the muscle contracts it contracts even more in the area of the knot which creates a burning sensation when the muscle is being used, and an intense pulling sensation when it is being stretched.

Ok so Massage can treat "knots" and muscle soreness, it helps to restore the natural flow of fluids as well, by releasing the tension in the connective tissue (muscle, tendons, ligaments, fascia etc) therefore the blood, lymph and interstitial fluid (fluid between cells) can flow freely. This also increases the body’s ability to heal, keep the body clean (through the immune system) and to form new healthy tissue.

Shiatsu translates to "finger pressure" and is based on the yin/yang elements. By using specific pressure on points along the meridians it releases the body’s natural flow of Chi. Chi is the origin the power of life.

The meridians control body movement (blood, gas, air, water) communication from outside to inside the body and visa versa, and also regulate the organs.

A Shiatsu Therapist is assessing for areas of excess and deficiency and working to restore balance equally to front, back and left, right.

It is helpful for releasing Trigger Points as well and can be effective for certain muscular conditions.

I hope that answers your question if you need more info please let me know.

Hey Howler, sorry to say but you have to get a note from your doctor for disability; although once you have that I can provide the treatments. Usually with any disability or benefits you need a referral for massage therapy. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is easily tested for though and I could do that this weekend if you are interested. But unfortunately it does go with the territory when you are consistently "loading" the arms and carrying heavy items this is a common condition. The muscles in the neck that attach to the 1st and 2nd ribs will shorten and the nerves that run between them get "pinched" some people also suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome from that position as well, and some cases are caused at the wrist.

We can chat more when you are here if that sounds good to you.

Let's see the different between reputable treatment and plain tugging. Well Registered Massage Therapy - RMT- (Massage Therapy)-MT- either on of these terms is a patented, therefore anyone using it should be reputable. Also if you go personally to book and appointment and there are pictures of anatomical (I mean muscles and such) on the walls, posture pictures things like that, information on increasing you health that's usually a good sign.

On the other hand if there are "ladies" in high, high heels and mini shirts run for the hills unless that is what you are seeking.