Jambands.ca

Shakin All Over - A look at the early Canadian music scene on CBC Jan.30

Dr. J

Thanks for this too. One of the links I followed came up with music made by sand dunes in Morocco, which is downright spooky.

As the page says,

préférable à écouter avec casque/encientes restituant les basses fréquences //

better to listen with head-set/loud-speakers reproducing low frequencies

Edited by Guest

TONIGHT 8:00 pm.

Folks tend to think of early Canadian pop/rock as a rather pale imitation of its British and American counterparts and to a great degree it was. That's what the public wanted. Jack London lead singer of the Sparrow even spoke and sang with a fake British accent. Got so big he decided he didn't need the band and headed out on his own. So, the band got a new lead singer (John Kay), eventually changed its name to Steppenwolf, and the proverbial rest is history. So much for the British accent.

its amazing how many bands with Canadian hits have not stood the test of time.

I think part of the reason is that often bands who had hits were simply imitating the sound of a better known British or American artist. Those who were truly doing something creative with their music, like The Paupers, seldom released a single and seldom received radio play. I would put the Paupers albums, Magic People and Ellis Island, up against anything that's being put out these days.

What a great show! I'd forgotten how much I dig early Joni and who knew that Neil Young was actaully good looking at one point?!?

I tend to forget about how many amazing Canadian bands there have been and am looking most forward to the continuation of this series. Some great insider info from the promotion and industry side of things as well and you can look for your parents/teachers in the crowds of hippy stoners milling about pedestrian Yorkville ;) Definitely worth a gander.