Jambands.ca

06/23 Toronto Neil Young show

Basher

I don't have the time to write a full review, but I am sure many of you had heard what he was doing this tour. A full set telling the story of Greendale, as his upcoming album of the same name does, complete with films, narration, dancers and actors. I heard a lot of people from other boards that went to previous shows on this tour bitch that they didn't get to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse Greatest Hits.

Well, the verdict is in, and the show was AWESOME. Just amazing, I really can't express it. Aside from the tools shouting out songs for him to play in the middle of narrations, I had an amazing time. I highly recommend anyone who can to get tickets for his show in Spetember.

And, in case you wondered if Toronto is special, we got 5 songs in the encores last night, which had previously been done only once on this tour. The majority of shows have had 3 songs, a couple 4.

By the way, our seats were so good (8th row floors) that the drummer from the Barenaked Ladies was sitting 2 rows BEHIND us! Haha.

Couldn't agree more basher. I thought the show was GREAT! The whole production was very cool with the dancers and the beginning scene on the porch was my favourite. It was very refreshing to see a new type of concept for a show. I kept waiting for people to get up and dance but no one did so finally near the end i just said Fug it and got up and proceeded to be the only person in the whole place (or so it seemed) to be dancing.

quote:

Originally posted by Stoned Phillips:

Hmm...well the people I heard yelling Basher were 2 dudes...unless you're a dude who frequents the hoochy bathroom, I don't think that was you!

OK OK OK OK OK OK

here it is.

i AM a woman

i am tall, i have a shaved head, and i may lookalikeman but i am not.... i am female i promise.

i am a girl who gets questioned/hassled/looked at funny at least once a week for going into the womens washroom as well as in other scenarios.... but you know what - i don't really care - i think it's pretty funny. and don't take it too personally, but i think it's pretty dumb that people see a tall person with a shaved head and immediately think i'm a man. **girls can shave their heads too.**

yeah, the dumbass make-up-queen nasty hoochie girls wearing their two-sizes-too-small 'stylin' threads so rudely hassling me last night are living in a pretty ugly world if they think they're hot and can't wrap their minds around *natural* beauty.

my $0.02

Do you have a deep voice as well? Cuz it was definitely a deep-voiced person attempting to attract his attention! [smile]

Concert pet peeve: The aforementioned hoochy girls in two-sizes too small shoes taking FOREVER to sashay over to a stall and disentangle themselves from their painted on jeans when there are 25 people lined up! Grr!! Just let me pee! It'll take 45 seconds!

Damn, Neil. What can you say about Neil Young? I was kind of quietly skeptical going in, looking to draw on some forgiveness if it all didn't work out but all I can say is I I just have so much respect for him. Even more today than this time yesterday. I can't believe what I witnessed last night. I mean, who does that? Who does that??? Who among his peers would deliver such an ambitious, challenging undertaking so (relatively) late in their careers?!?

Here was an arena show worth every penny. The attention to detail, the focus, some great songs - I mean, take that solo acoustic number in the middle, was I the only one choking back tears? How can one man keep writing such beautiful songs? Doesn't the well run dry?? [Eek!]

Amid all the pageantry, it's easy to forget that NY & CH really took their time to include some Crazy-Horse style jamming along the way too. Not all of those songs will stand up outside of the Greendale theme - too much specific narration and character acting for that - but within that context, we also got a kick-ass rock and roll show.

Which leads to another point: don't people know how to rock and roll anymore??? I won't get into the heckling thing, I thought it wasn't as bad as it could have been, although still annoying as hell. And, the crowd actually deserves some credit for generally soaking up the unique experience, sitting, watching, and listening. Apparently, some audiences on this tour have been just brutal. But after Greendale, you'd think people might have some pent-up energy to blow off! I mean, here's Neil Fucking Young, with his amp cranked to 11, screaming "Rock and Roll Can Never Die" to you, and you're just sitting there twiddling your thumbs?!?!? I also ended up being one of the only ones standing in my section. Everybody looked at me like I was crazy. HOW CAN YOU SIT DOWN WHEN NEIL YOUNG IS PLAYING LIKE A HURRICANE FOR YOU?!?!? I just simply don't get it. ok, sorry, end of rant.

Back to the show itself - I almost don't want to go into it too much because I don't want to spoil it for anyone heading to the September show but if you're on the fence about it - and you're not entirely allergic to the idea of 2 hours of new material - you really should go check this show out before Neil decides to go dub reggae or something and that's the end of it.

A wonderful evening in the company of a true artist. Thanks Neil. You fucking rock!! [big Grin]

(ps - one side note; I'm so happy this show took place at the ACC rather than the Amphitheatre. I can't imagine what the Greendale play would have been like outside. Still pretty cool, but imo this show should be presented indoors, theatre-style)

quote:

Originally posted by bsherman:

Sorry I missed you beautiful! I was oblivious to everything at that moment.

no worries basher..... we will meet again - perhaps over some campfire grilled veggie burgers between rockin festival sets? we oughtta plan a real feast in advance next time... canada day perhaps? no omnivores allowed!

Greendale [~2 hour set]

Falling From Above

Double E

Devil's Sidewalk

Leave The Driving

Carmichael

Bandit [solo acoustic guitar]

Grandpa's Interview

Bringin' Down Dinner [pump organ]

Sun Green

Be The Rain

1st Encore

Hey Hey My My (Into The Black)

Like A Hurricane

2nd Encore

Love And Only Love

Powderfinger

Roll Another Number (For The Road)

i had my fingers crossed for after the gold rush too.

powderfinger sure made me smile though.

i don't know if my friendly neighbour's offerings had anything to do with it but i was up and rockin for all the 'encores' . who were the lame asses up front not even moving - - - why do them folks get the phat seats?!?!?! [Confused]

i am not complaining..... feel fortunate that i was even present... don't matter where in the place - neil rocks from every angle [smile]

Here's a quote I came across while reading Neil's biography, "Shakey.":

Neil berating a noisy audience,11/15/73:

"Shut up! Some of you people are fucked! You all scream out so much, why don't you stay home and listen to yourself talk. There's a lotta things you can say up here if you don't have to fight your way through a buncha idiots that are just yellin' to hear their own voices."

(Neil went on to play a thirty six minute "Tonight's the Night.")

What an amazing show....

Anyone with the slightest big of musical ingetrity would have had to love that show.....

so much heart, so much soul. of the seven or eight times i've seen neil, that one was definately the best, by far.

my ownly compalint was the drunken mullet three seats over, talking throughout the beginning of the show. then inbetween the songs, he was shouting rediculous requests.

after giving him the look a few times, i had enough. I leaned over and told him to shut up. Said, i didn't pay a 100 dollars to hear his commentary, and i'm sure neil really doesn't care what songs you want to hear....

well, he and his drunken buddy dind't like that very much, and went to stand up. I beat him to it, (i was pissed), and i guess he saw that i was a lot bigger than him, and a lot more mad. I'm sure i could have had lots of fun with him, in that intoxicated state....

He said down, quickley, and i got an applause....

Fuggen inbreds.....(at once point neil had to say, this is a big place, with lots of you, and only one of me), in other words, shut the fuck up.

i hate torontonians....i'm sure it would have been worse though if it was in Hamilton.

Other than for that, the show met and exceeded every one of my expectations....I wanted to hear Like A Hurricane as a encore, T wanted to hear Powderfinger.....

Five encore songs, that was amazing....I saw the security (acc big shots) telling the soundboard guy to cut neil off after the second encore, but he just gave him the peace sign (which i didnt take as two more), damn was i impressed....

Allz i can say is...

-

Right on secondtube!!

Believe me, if I were a large male, I would have threatened a few tools myself last night..show some freakin' respect, you moronic dill-holes!

I was sympathetic to the vast number of idiots at first....the first 2 or 3 times when Neil was setting up the next scene, quietly talking into the mic, people were yelling out requests...they didn't know what to expect when they walked in the door..half of them are probably still awaiting that new-fangled electricity and were therefore unaware of what "Greendale" was all about via this crazy internet....

Anyway, I was forgiving the first few times it happened. But, listen neanderthal, do you have ANY capacity for learning? After the 5th such episode, please try to grasp that no matter how many times you yell out, "SOUTHERN MAN"!!, it just ain't gonna happen!!

I too had some drunk idiots in front of me and at one point one woman went at her friends neck to choke her. I yelled at them and told them to take it out into the hall so they didn't ruin the beautiful acoustic number Neil was playing at the time. Rednecks suck.

Archived