Jambands.ca

ZAPPA to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award (finally!)

StoneMtn

Frank Zappa to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award at the Sixth Annual Jammy Awards

Frank Zappa will posthumously receive the lifetime achievement award at the sixth annual Jammy Awards. As previously reported, this year’s Jammys will be held on April 20 at the Theater at Madison Square Garden and will kickoff the inaugural Green Apple Music & Arts Festival. Coinciding with Earth Day, Green Apple will boast over 50 performances at 20 venues spread throughout New York City, including the Blue Note, Carnegie Hall, Knitting Factory, the Bitter End, the Bowery Ballroom, the Lion’s Den and the BB King Blues Club, among others. In addition, the multi-day festival will feature a film festival, children’s camp and environmental workshops.

Both the Green Apple Music & Arts Festival and the Jammy Awards are produced by Relix Magazine/Jambands.com and Peter Shapiro. This year’s list of Jammy nominees will be announced later this month.

Diva?

Zappa has four kids. No one seems to remember Diva' date=' since she is the youngest of the bunch - born in 1979.

Get out Zappa's autobiography. There's a few pictures of her in there.

[/quote']

Well, well, well ... whaddya know? You learn something new every day.

Thanks Jaimoe.

Diva Zappa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diva Muffin Zappa is the youngest daughter of Frank Zappa. She was born on July 30, 1979 in Los Angeles and is the sister of Moon Unit Zappa, Dweezil Zappa and Ahmet Zappa. (Note: Diva was blessed with the middle name "Muffin" at birth, but after a fit of inspiration by her mother, Gail Zappa, Diva had her name changed to "Diva Magika Zappa")

divzappa.jpg

Diva once appeared on stage in 1993 at London's Marquee Club (now long gone) with the band "Z", featuring Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa. Her father, Frank Zappa, admitted in a 1982 interview that Diva was so named because she was screaming louder than all the other babies in the hospital nursery.

Does anyone know if Dweezil's middle name is actually "Hamburger" as I once heard?

Also, does anyone have any idea where I can get a copy of an album by "Z"? I recall they had two albums, one with a great song called "My Beef Mailbox", but I've never seen any of their music anywhere, online or otherwise.

Anyone? Please???!!!???

Does anyone know if Dweezil's middle name is actually "Hamburger" as I once heard?

Also, does anyone have any idea where I can get a copy of an album by "Z"? I recall they had two albums, one with a great song called "My Beef Mailbox", but I've never seen any of their music anywhere, online or otherwise.

Anyone? Please???!!!???

I'm pretty sure you can order Z albums from Zappa's website.

I agree. What you say is absolute fact.

The reason he is getting a jammy award, though, I believe, is that much of his sound shows up in current or relatively recent jams by jambands. For instance, Phish, Days of You, Raq....

I'm just glad that someone is finally giving him this award; but I also agree with Chameleon that it's about time the bigger guys would recognize him.

The music is great but I think it is more orchestral then 'jam'.

Former lifetime acheivement award winners at the Jammys include B.B. King, George Porter Jr. and the Meters, Buddy Guy, etc. I think they like to give it to artists who have influenced today's jam bands. Zappa has certainly done that, and I think he is deserving of the award.

I love Zappa but it isn't really 'jammy'. Every thing I've ever read on him says he was a strict task master who made his band reherse until they couldn't possibly screw up and then if they did he would ream them out for missing a sixteenth note. The music is great but I think it is more orchestral then 'jam'.

You need to hear Hot Rats. Lotsa let 'er rip jamming. And his live solos are untouchable in most cases.

Huh? Pretty much every one of his live guitar solos (e.g., the "Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar" set, or "Guitar") was improvised. ISTR him mentioning how what he wanted was equipment that was set up properly and a band that was solid enough to allow him to go into "automatic" mode and twiddle his fingers, with something interesting coming out once in a while. True, he used guitar solos as expressions of his composing ability, but they were done on the fly. (He even talked about how a musician, when improvising a solo, was acting as a composer.)

Aloha,

Brad